The Student Room Group

Hate uni- how to survive next 2 and 1/2 years

Hi all,

I am a 1st year Medicinal Chemistry student in Belfast Northern Ireland. I left a previous course but this one is 100x worse in fact I cant even put it on a scale. Its make me really depressed I cant eat right, sleep at all and anything I used to do for enjoyment doesnt interest me at all now and so I have stopped those. I have been counting down the days since week 2 of semester 55 days left. 54....53... etc until end of semester. Its week 12 last week of semester from tomorrow. I have never wanted it to be week 12 so much in my life. it feels like winning the lottery. I am so giggly because this time next week I wont have to go in because its Christmas break. The same will happen next semester more than likely counting down the days. Its another twelve weeks but its split because of Easter. The only thing getting me through this is working hard and happiness when I remember stuff and I am passing my assessments. Its so hard to keep motivated for another 2 and 1/2 years knowing my friends on my last course are graduating this summer and I have 2 more years. If I change again I'll not feel much better because I will be finishing later again. I have thought of finishing this course and then doing the one I really want to do which is biomedical engineering at the university I was at. I wont be starting this until 2015. Anybody finished a degree they didnt like? How did you do it? I am doing a night class in Business as well which takes my mind off my uni stuff for 3 hours and I get to interact with my classmates as its a small class and we get dinner together in the canteen which is really nice each week. This course is 2 and a half years so this will be a major distraction from uni for majority of my uni course. The others in my uni class go to the student village after lectures and seminars etc for lunch and I end up going to the lounge area in my chaplaincy. I dont even feel Christmasy at all this year and miss my last course so much just wish placement had of went better as things were fine in uni. Its like 1000 days to I start what I would prefer ie biomedical engineering. I have been getting chest pains as well which is really worrying me as its a long time until 2015 I will likely have to experience these near enough every other day. The only thing I feel will make the time to 2015 less is I have had the same routine every day going to the lounge area for lunch and a certain computer area at any other break. In the mornings I wake up to the sound of my alarm and really really dont want to go in to uni but know if I dont get up it'll still be one more to get up until end of semester. Still have to get up 5 more days this semester. I really dont want to see my GP as it will be on my record and will look bad when I am applying for jobs that need medicals and also my parents will find out I have been to my GP.
Reply 1
I think you need to assess whether you actually want to do this course.
You mention doing another degree after this one, why not just apply for that degree this year and transfer? Bearing in mind, you only get a limited amount of student finance so you might have to fund one or two years yourself. You'd also have to fund any other degrees you did after this one by yourself.
Regarding the chest pains, go see your GP. Your parents won't find out, theres confidentiality laws in place to prevent this! It could turn out to be something serious, so go see them ASAP.
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
I think you need to assess whether you actually want to do this course.
You mention doing another degree after this one, why not just apply for that degree this year and transfer? Bearing in mind, you only get a limited amount of student finance so you might have to fund one or two years yourself. You'd also have to fund any other degrees you did after this one by yourself.
Regarding the chest pains, go see your GP. Your parents won't find out, theres confidentiality laws in place to prevent this! It could turn out to be something serious, so go see them ASAP.

I already have changed course and should be finished uni last year or this year depending on whether the course is 3 or 4 years. I wont be finishing until 2017 then. My dad has found out information from both my optician and dentist about me by asking the receptionist. sure he wouldnt like me asking about him. he even opens my appointment and also bank letters and glues them back together. The course I want to do is 4 years. 3 plus placement. the only thing putting me off is its 4 years. because if it was three it would be like me doing the 4 year one of the one I'm doing now finishing the same year as ones in my current course doing the 4 year one. Wish there was a way of graduating with the BEng Hons in 2016 then doing the placement and graduating with the diploma in industrial studies in 2017. might email the university now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending