The Student Room Group

Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI) at Belfast for Medicine - advice and tips

Ive never had MMI style interview before and I'm just really confused as to what variety of questions it entails? Is it all scenario based or is will there be some stations where you'll have panel style questions like 'why medicine' as well??

Also, do we have to talk for the whole of the 5 minutes because thats gonna be well hard. Hope we're not negatively marked or something if we stop talking before the bell rings.

Any tips/help would be appreciated please!!? thanks
Reply 1
There's some info here: http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/mdbs/medicine/Prospectivestudents/MultipleMiniInterviews/

I can't speak specifically for Belfast but I can give you a little info from my experience at McMaster, the home of the MMI. MMI questions are usually open-end situational/behavioural type questions designed to tease out specific soft or transferable skills like how empathetic you are, how well you communicate, how well you work in a team, what's you moral compass and the like.

Here’s one place to find scenario examples: “An Admissions OSCE: The Multiple Mini-Interview. Medical Education 38: 314-326” by Blackwell Publishing

The video example on the link above is an Acting Station where you interact with an actor in a predetermined situation. There could also be Collaboration Stations (you'll need to ask them) where you would interact with another candidate to complete a given task (i.e. draw a pictures or tie a knot)—these test mainly your communications skills. However, most of the stations in an MMI circuit are Discussion Stations where you respond to a given scenario. These only have one interviewer and that interviewer is there to listen to your response and may not interact too much as they are asked not to bias or lead your answer. If you go astray they may try to set you straight but they are not supposed to give you clues about how well your doing (i.e. like bobbing their head in agreement).

When you read the question take your time. Think about the scenario and all the possibilities then based on your experience formulate an answer that you can support. Don’t lie or tell them what you think they want to hear because I’ll be obvious. Usually an interviewer can judge how you’re doing in the first 1-2 minutes so your approach is key.

As for the 5 minutes, you’ll have no problem filling the time and most people run over the time limit. The interviewer marks the candidate on their response not on how much time you take. The interviews will go by really fast so stay focused and almost all candidates enjoy the experience. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending