The Student Room Group

Do mesons have baryon numbers?

Do mesons have baryon numbers? I thought they don't, but the following example leads me to believe otherwise:

Forgive me for my little knowledge! Never heard of mesons before starting this topic!

EDIT: I posted this from iPhone so I apologise for the weird layout of the image
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by GPODT
Do mesons have baryon numbers? I thought they don't, but the following example leads me to believe otherwise:

Forgive me for my little knowledge! Never heard of mesons before starting this topic!

EDIT: I posted this from iPhone so I apologise for the weird layout of the image

Mesons have a baryon number of 0.

Why does the example make you think otherwise? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
Mesons have a baryon number of 0.

Why does the example make you think otherwise? :smile:

so they DO have a baryon number?

Well since they are mesons and a different type of hadron than baryon's I would have thought they won't have a baryon number..

Reply 3
Original post by GPODT
so they DO have a baryon number?

Well since they are mesons and a different type of hadron than baryon's I would have thought they won't have a baryon number..

Yes, they have a baryon number of 0.

Baryons (e.g. protons) have a baryon number of +1.
Antibaryons (e.g. antiprotons) have a baryon number of -1.
All other particles that aren't baryons (e.g. mesons) have a baryon number of 0. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by usycool1
Yes, they have a baryon number of 0.

Baryons (e.g. protons) have a baryon number of +1.
Antibaryons (e.g. antiprotons) have a baryon number of -1.
All other particles that aren't baryons (e.g. mesons) have a baryon number of 0. :smile:

Thank you:smile:
Reply 5
Isn't that due quarks having a baryon number of 1/3 and antiquarks having a baryon number of -1/3.

Due to mesons having 2 quarks (a quark and an anti quark) they have a total of 0.

Knowing this, do mesons have a meson number?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest