The Student Room Group

Do you think that minimum wage is an insult salary?

Say if you travel to work for maybe forty minutes to get to work and you get paid maybe £5.70 or whatever it is for working in B and Q. Say you worked there full time stacking tins of paint would you think that it is an insult salary? Considering how expensive it is to live in this country so to even buy a jacket or a new pair of jeans or to even live any kind of life would you think for working full time that is an insult or just modern capitalism.

Scroll to see replies

Are you saying that minimum wage is an insulting salary because of how low it is, or because it's the minimum salary payable to someone?
Original post by Guy Secretan
Say if you travel to work for maybe forty minutes to get to work and you get paid maybe £5.70 or whatever it is for working in B and Q. Say you worked there full time stacking tins of paint would you think that it is an insult salary? Considering how expensive it is to live in this country so to even buy a jacket or a new pair of jeans or to even live any kind of life would you think for working full time that is an insult or just modern capitalism.

If you get paid minimum wage it is because you have no desirable skills so no it isn't an insult it is realistic.
Minimum wage is painful.
My sister started out as a temp in the perfume shop, and she has been working there for three years and got paid £5.96 per hour and when she was on holiday, she worked full time but only managed to get like £200- £250 a week ! and she just got promoted in october and her wage is now £6.59.

But, I am a temp right now and I get paid £7 an hour and manage to get like £300 pound a week upto £350.. and I have only been at work for a month!

and buying clothes, food etc is getting harder because it is getting more expensive! so I cut down on luxuries, but then again, at least we have something. kids in Somalia and Africa are not that fortunate
Reply 4
When slavery ended in the US many slaves found themselves materially less well off. Rent,food and other expenditures were not covered by wages sufficient to support them. Minimum wage is not sufficient to support an individual let alone a family,and yet people wonder why so many people choose to be shackled to the job centre?
Original post by internetguru
If you get paid minimum wage it is because you have no desirable skills so no it isn't an insult it is realistic.

thats not true. My sister is 21 and got paid £5.96 an hour for three years at the perfume shop with ridiculous hours and she just got promoted in october and now gets paid £6.50 where as I get paid £7 when I have no fabulous skills to be paid over minimum age. so it is a bit of a pity, but no complaning
Original post by Silver Lining
thats not true. My sister is 21 and got paid £5.96 an hour for three years at the perfume shop with ridiculous hours and she just got promoted in october and now gets paid £6.50 where as I get paid £7 when I have no fabulous skills to be paid over minimum age. so it is a bit of a pity, but no complaning

Not saying you need skills to get paid more but if you have skills you won't get paid that low.
Original post by Guy Secretan

this was me during the summer, i travelled 40 miles to work each way to earn £3.68 an hour. at the end of the day i was grateful for the work and happy to be earning.

i think if i had actual responsibilities such as a mortgage etc then i'd find it very difficult to find the will to go to work every day but also the thought of working there for the rest of my life is also a deterrent to fall behind at school etc, although if i absolutely had to i would swallow my pride and work there again.

in summary: job > no job.
Reply 8
Original post by Silver Lining

But minimum wage for 21+ is £6.19?
Its not an insult, its how low level jobs are like some pay more while others pay minimum wage. Its certainly better than the apprenticeship rates its £2.60 per hour but what can you do. A lot of people that are on minimum wage work harder than people who get paid way more because they know life ain't easier but someone has to pay the bills. To all those mothers that work as a cleaner to that granny that works as a dinner lady. Or that father who walks around putting your daily post in your letter boxes. Be grateful to all of them.
Original post by Zubes

I know right.. she only just got promoted
Original post by Zubes

wouldn't surprise me if they "promoted" her just before her 21st so they would meet the minimum wage law.
The minimum wage isn't supposed to be a living wage, it's meant to stop people taking the piss paying students working part-time £2 an hour.
Not saying you need skills to get paid more but if you have skills you won't get paid that low.

oh right, I agree
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
wouldn't surprise me if they "promoted" her just before her 21st so they would meet the minimum wage law.

LOL!
Reply 15
I think it's a bit pathetic when you have companies who pay EXACTLY £6.19 an hour, and not just round it up to £6.20, all to save themselves 40p a week.
Reply 16
not really. you get minimum wage because you have no skills or experience. eventually you become more experienced and get promoted, or apply somewhere else for a better paying job with your new experience. you can't expect to just walk into a decent wage with no skills
Reply 17
Minimum wage is experience by those whose role does not require many skills or qualifications and doesn't have many accountabilities or responsibilities. People get paid dependent on the work they provide.
Min wage for me is fine - just enough to get by and I'm really really grateful to have a job especially in the current economic climate. There isn't enough money to pay everyone in low skill jobs more than minimum wage, it's that simple.

What does rattle me though is the increasing gap between the lowest and the highest paid. And when the highest paid get bonuses, even when targets aren't met.
Reply 19

Original post by lucaf
not really. you get minimum wage because you have no skills or experience. eventually you become more experienced and get promoted, or apply somewhere else for a better paying job with your new experience. you can't expect to just walk into a decent wage with no skills

Sorry, but this isn't really how it works. I'm a web programmer who currently works part time in retail for minimum wage while I intern, I also have retail management experience, I took this job because it's either that or no money in this horrible job market. I didn't suddenly forget all my skills just because I had to take a minimum wage job. There are people where I work who used to do things such as running their own business or nursing, they are either working for minimum wage due to unforeseen circumstances, or simply because it suits them. There are people who I work with who are far more capable than a lot of the managers, but they do not get promoted due to bureaucracy or simply because there are no positions available.

It would be nice if everyone could have a job and wage that appropriately reflected their skills and ability, but unfortunately that is not how the real world works. To suggest that someone earning minimum wage has no skills is ridiculously small minded.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending