The Student Room Group

University/Life help

I started university in september and I'm studying accounting and finance. I havent settled into university very well, and I have become tangled in the wrong crowd. This weekend I had a life changing experience and I'm trying to re-evaluate my life.

Ever since I was 15 I wanted to study medicine but i've always been too scared to pursue it. Now I have the option of dropping out of university and completing A levels or continue studying a degree that I have no interest in.

I'm not sure if I want to leave university just because I'm trying to run away from what I've done or because medicine is really what I want to study. If I left university there would be so much pressure from myself and my parents to get into medical school, and I would feel like i'm taking a step back in my life. However if I stayed at university I think I would become miserable because I'm studying something that I have no interest in.

Really just looking for opinions on should you think I should do. Thanks :-)

EDIT: I've basically got into drugs and friday night I overdosed on something. Ever since that I've just thought that life is too short and I should really pursue what I really want.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Well that is a conundrum
Reply 2
Entry standards to medschool are obviously very strict, and your dropping out is going to stick out like a sore thumb. They will wonder if you will commit to their course, unless you can prove it by taking up some work experience in the healthcare sector to prove you know what the job entails.

And what did you do that you are trying to run away from?
Reply 3
Original post by Black Jesus
I started university in september and I'm studying accounting and finance. I havent settled into university very well, and I have become tangled in the wrong crowd. This weekend I had a life changing experience and I'm trying to re-evaluate my life.

Ever since I was 15 I wanted to study medicine but i've always been too scared to pursue it. Now I have the option of dropping out of university and completing A levels or continue studying a degree that I have no interest in.

I'm not sure if I want to leave university just because I'm trying to run away from what I've done or because medicine is really what I want to study. If I left university there would be so much pressure from myself and my parents to get into medical school, and I would feel like i'm taking a step back in my life. However if I stayed at university I think I would become miserable because I'm studying something that I have no interest in.

Really just looking for opinions on should you think I should do. Thanks :-)

Firstly, no such thing has stepping back in your life. Heck, if you complete your degree and then realize that you want to do medicine you still wouldn't be taking a step back. As long as you learn from it.

You need to elaborate on the whole "got stuck in the wrong crowd" and the part I've bolded about running away from what you've "done".
Reply 4
anyone else?
Reply 5
Stick to your course and perhaps enquire if you could change your degree to something you would enjoy more without having to resit a year. Regarding medicine: get some work experience; apply to volunteer in a caring setting; start thinking more about the distant future and how the immediate future fits into that. Regarding the drug use: if you are finding the peer pressure too great then simply change social groups or, if you really have to, drop out. Falling into drug use has ruined people I know and it's really not worth it to be in with some group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending