The Student Room Group

Why are ex-polys so badly mocked on TSR?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jamespierce0987
Average starting salaries are a big thing actually. People seem to think a university ranked 40 or 50 places above another uni somehow equates to better prospects. Well starting salaries reflect prospects whether you like it or not. You earn more with experience, not by having a university name on your CV.

I've already acknowledged that those from 'lesser' unis will not have access to larger companies, but the fact that they can earn more than those at 'Red Bricks'/RG unis says a lot about big companies. Don't be fooled, they attract applicants because they're big and well known and many students out there think big is great. Well it usually isn't.

As for the bragging, it's pretty stupid really. There's only 2 universities worth bragging about in the UK because everyone has heard of them and they go by the names of Oxford and Cambridge. No one cares if you went to Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield, Lancaster etc. they're all generic unis, there simply is nothing to 'brag' about attending one of those institutions. Fair enough it's a pretty good accomplishment, but no one's going to look at you in awe of your institution. In fact anyone who does brag about attending something outside Oxbridge ought to be embarrassed to be perfectly frank.

It depends. I used the argument in public "I went to the 11th best university in the country, actually" when some grumpy old man on the train told me I was uneducated because I had long hair.
Original post by Meat is Murder
The OP has missed the point about top end uni's; the facilities are better (libraries etc) and the students have access to academics experts in their field. People don't just go to uni to get a good job; people go to satisfy their intellectual curiosity.

Also, to say there is Oxbridge and then everyone else is delusional. Just because you think there is no difference in UWE and Bristol doesn't mean to say there isn't; you can guarantee you are in a minority.

Degrees are harder at the better institutions with a greater work load and thus degrees from top uni's carry more weight.

I'm not sure if that's 100% true. I'm at an ex-poly at the moment myself, and am one of the few people who can actually compare it to Oxbridge having drop out. I actually find myself having far more facilities at my current polytechnic, and I have access to some of the top in the field. I learn poetry from the poet laureate, for example.

In terms of difficulty... I won't comment. There's a raging dispute about it. The concept of external examiners is based around keeping a 1st from each university on equal par, despite Oxford subverting that by introducing the 1:1.

Anyway, I think the real reason people on TSR are so very negative about them is based on a fascination with league tables and just a spoonful of insecurity. Personally, a degree to me is a step towards my PHD, meaning the establishment is irrelevant.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
I'm not sure if that's 100% true. I'm at an ex-poly at the moment myself, and am one of the few people who can actually compare it to Oxbridge having drop out. I actually find myself having far more facilities at my current polytechnic, and I have access to some of the top in the field. I learn poetry from the poet laureate, for example.

In terms of difficulty... I won't comment. There's a raging dispute about it. The concept of external examiners is based around keeping a 1st from each university on equal par, despite Oxford subverting that by introducing the 1:1.

Anyway, I think the real reason people on TSR are so very negative about them is based on a fascination with league tables and just a spoonful of insecurity. Personally, a degree to me is a step towards my PHD, meaning the establishment is irrelevant.

Precisely my point!
They're unfairly mocked because people can get away with it on the internet because there's no accountability for their ridiculous comments.

The people inferring that there is no difference between the top ranked traditional universities and the ex-polys are living on friendly cloud nine though I'm afraid. If this was the case, they'd be ranked higher and the traditional ones ranked lower. I'm not saying all parts of ex-polys are incomparable to traditional universities and all traditional universities are 100% effective but quite frankly there is a clear class off difference, hence why they get reputations.

The league tables aren't just made up of people picking the universities they like.
Original post by mc1000
It depends. I used the argument in public "I went to the 11th best university in the country, actually" when some grumpy old man on the train told me I was uneducated because I had long hair.

Exactly my point...'11th best'. You should only brag if you go to the best.

I'd also question the ability of someone to claim they're educated simply by attending university. Our education system has been drastically dumbed down in the last 20 years and everyone knows it. From grassroots to degree-level exams. I'd go as far as saying if I took my A-levels 20 years ago, I'd probably have attended a polytechnic, as would many others.
Original post by Historicity
They're unfairly mocked because people can get away with it on the internet because there's no accountability for their ridiculous comments.

The people inferring that there is no difference between the top ranked traditional universities and the ex-polys are living on friendly cloud nine though I'm afraid. If this was the case, they'd be ranked higher and the traditional ones ranked lower. I'm not saying all parts of ex-polys are incomparable to traditional universities and all traditional universities are 100% effective but quite frankly there is a clear class off difference, hence why they get reputations.

The league tables aren't just made up of people picking the universities they like.

That's true, of course there is a difference. But I believe figures should do the talking and when it turns out that by going to a 'lesser' uni and doing a work placement earns you more than doing something like Philosophy, History or Politics at a leading university, this mocking of ex-polys should be questioned.

There are many on here who are saying 'ex-polys shouldn't exist'. There's even talk in the media of there being a focus on top 40 unis and the others slowly being converted into another sort of educational establishment. Well when their graduates can earn more than graduates from leading universities, ex-polys should, in some cases, be seen as more productive and more beneficial to the UK economy.
Both my parents went to poly and said they never got any of this Uni vs. Poly stuff. I go to Sheff Uni now, and I actually get quite embarrassed when people are rude about other people's choices. I've met people at Sheff Hallam that got better grades than me and I would never assume that I were better than someone else just because of what Uni I went to.
That's true, of course there is a difference. But I believe figures should do the talking and when it turns out that by going to a 'lesser' uni and doing a work placement earns you more than doing something like Philosophy, History or Politics at a leading university, this mocking of ex-polys should be questioned.

There are many on here who are saying 'ex-polys shouldn't exist'. There's even talk in the media of there being a focus on top 40 unis and the others slowly being converted into another sort of educational establishment. Well when their graduates can earn more than graduates from leading universities, ex-polys should, in some cases, be seen as more productive and more beneficial to the UK economy.

This is all wrong though. You're just making stuff up which you think will be true and that you can get away with. No.

It doesn't at all, maybe at first, maybe for the small bunch or on specific courses but overall this is a lie. Philosophy I am not sure, it doesn't interest me, but I know for sure purely because I study History and Politics at one of the traditional universities. Let me tell you, the placements aren't bad, neither is the graduate employment, average starting salary or some of the alumni that regularly pop back to visit.

I'm going to ignore the last paragraph unless you back it up instead of just taking the opinions of some extreme TSR members, remember that universities are about research and education not pushing the economy round and realise that not having the word degree on your qualification does not render the rest of your skills irrelevant and unemployable.

Why does the degree have to be devalued if these degrees that are being taken at such institutions provide the necessary skills? Why can't they be rightly called something else?
Reply 28
I think that in general your prospects are better if you go to a better university, but the poly/redbrick divide isn't always accurate - it depends on what course you are studying, how vocational or academic it is. I've applied to study law, and so have only applied to RG universities. One of my closest friends has applied to study environmental science and ecology, and so has only applied to ex-polytechnics because they offer a more practical approach to the subject.
People at redbrick universities shouldn't talk down to those at ex-polytechnics, everyone should make their own choices. However, you can't avoid the fact that in general the former are typically the more competitive.
This is all wrong though. You're just making stuff up which you think will be true and that you can get away with. No.

It doesn't at all, maybe at first, maybe for the small bunch or on specific courses but overall this is a lie. Philosophy I am not sure, it doesn't interest me, but I know for sure purely because I study History and Politics at one of the traditional universities. Let me tell you, the placements aren't bad, neither is the graduate employment, average starting salary or some of the alumni that regularly pop back to visit.

I'm going to ignore the last paragraph unless you back it up instead of just taking the opinions of some extreme TSR members, remember that universities are about research and education not pushing the economy round and realise that not having the word degree on your qualification does not render the rest of your skills irrelevant and unemployable.

Why does the degree have to be devalued if these degrees that are being taken at such institutions provide the necessary skills? Why can't they be rightly called something else?

Actually, universities have a lot to do with the economy, hence there's been a push to get more and more to go. The fact of the matter is business leaders don't want liberal arts graduates, they're more after business and vocational graduates - someone who can actually add something to their business - this is coming from someone doing a History and Econ degree.

Oh and all this crap about going to uni to study something for interest rather than prospects is BS. There's a tiny fraction who do this but most go because traditionally it leads to better prospects and is seen as the norm in society, especially among the British middle-class - which take up most places at UK universities.

Forget my last paragraph from the post above, it wasn't off TSR, but I read an article around about the time of the expansion of the Russell Group to 24, but I can't find it, so render that point invalid.
I think it has a lot to do with insecurity and I believe the majority of people who go on about ex-polys are people who have no real world experience, nor any experience at university.

The educational system in the UK is flawed. A hell of a lot of weight is put on A-Level results in determining your future academic pursuits. All this at an age where you may not truly comprehend the ramifications of not getting the very best grades. Also taking into account the huge step up in difficulty from GCSE level to A level in certain subjects (particularly the sciences, in my experience).

Selection of A-levels can be a huge factor as well. I went from 5A*s, 5As and a B (not great GCSEs, but they were the best in my year) to ACD in my A2s. I didn't change my work ethic or anything, the material was just a lot more difficult compared to GCSE and I think a lot of people tend to pick A-levels in the subjects they enjoyed at GCSE (for me this was Chemistry and Biology). But I got my A in Law, and so am now doing a Law degree at an ex-poly.

Do I wish I got better grades and went to a 'better' more prestigious university? Sure, but I know that's my inner gloating nature thinking for me.

When you're actually in the work place earning real world experience though, your degree won't matter.

Long and rambling post, apologies!
We all want to seem more important than we really are. A common tactic my parent used to use was telling me a ticket for something was always the last ticket. I know better now, nobody is ever that lucky!

As someone already said, it used to be a lot worse than it is now. I still remember when bashing media studies was a big thing on this site.
Original post by JohnC2211
I think it has a lot to do with insecurity and I believe the majority of people who go on about ex-polys are people who have no real world experience, nor any experience at university.

The educational system in the UK is flawed. A hell of a lot of weight is put on A-Level results in determining your future academic pursuits. All this at an age where you may not truly comprehend the ramifications of not getting the very best grades. Also taking into account the huge step up in difficulty from GCSE level to A level in certain subjects (particularly the sciences, in my experience).

Selection of A-levels can be a huge factor as well. I went from 5A*s, 5As and a B (not great GCSEs, but they were the best in my year) to ACD in my A2s. I didn't change my work ethic or anything, the material was just a lot more difficult compared to GCSE and I think a lot of people tend to pick A-levels in the subjects they enjoyed at GCSE (for me this was Chemistry and Biology). But I got my A in Law, and so am now doing a Law degree at an ex-poly.

Do I wish I got better grades and went to a 'better' more prestigious university? Sure, but I know that's my inner gloating nature thinking for me.

When you're actually in the work place earning real world experience though, your degree won't matter.

Long and rambling post, apologies!

This.
Original post by Genocidal
We all want to seem more important than we really are. A common tactic my parent used to use was telling me a ticket for something was always the last ticket. I know better now, nobody is ever that lucky!

As someone already said, it used to be a lot worse than it is now. I still remember when bashing media studies was a big thing on this site.

Could you explain that to me? Sounds interesting but I don't get it:s-smilie:
Actually, universities have a lot to do with the economy, hence there's been a push to get more and more to go. The fact of the matter is business leaders don't want liberal arts graduates, they're more after business and vocational graduates - someone who can actually add something to their business - this is coming from someone doing a History and Econ degree.

Oh and all this crap about going to uni to study something for interest rather than prospects is BS. There's a tiny fraction who do this but most go because traditionally it leads to better prospects and is seen as the norm in society, especially among the British middle-class - which take up most places at UK universities.

Forget my last paragraph from the post above, it wasn't off TSR, but I read an article around about the time of the expansion of the Russell Group to 24, but I can't find it, so render that point invalid.

There has been a push yes, under a very specific political agenda for the reasons of bridging the gap and creating more equality. Systematic pushes have done nothing but devalue degrees. There is also a common myth about how nobody wants liberal arts graduates. That is simply not true, there are less obvious and available jobs out there for them but they are still sought after. Most people from top 20/30 with a good honour and relevant experience do fine. I'm yet to see any contradictory stats.

If as you say, nobody wants these arts graduates then why are people still going if it increases prospects? Paradox?
There has been a push yes, under a very specific political agenda for the reasons of bridging the gap and creating more equality. Systematic pushes have done nothing but devalue degrees. There is also a common myth about how nobody wants liberal arts graduates. That is simply not true, there are less obvious and available jobs out there for them but they are still sought after. Most people from top 20/30 with a good honour and relevant experience do fine. I'm yet to see any contradictory stats.

If as you say, nobody wants these arts graduates then why are people still going if it increases prospects? Paradox?

Okay, maybe that's more of an economic issue than an educational one, but they're the ones asking for more STEM grads etc. I admit it's too far to say they don't want any liberal arts grads, but there are probably too many relative to STEM grads.

As for top 20/30 I never said they didn't do okay, I was just pointing out that in some cases ex-poly grads do better which calls into question all this snobbery.
Reply 36
Original post by Meat is Murder
The OP has missed the point about top end uni's; the facilities are better (libraries etc) and the students have access to academics experts in their field. People don't just go to uni to get a good job; people go to satisfy their intellectual curiosity.

Also, to say there is Oxbridge and then everyone else is delusional. Just because you think there is no difference in UWE and Bristol doesn't mean to say there isn't; you can guarantee you are in a minority.

Degrees are harder at the better institutions with a greater work load and thus degrees from top uni's carry more weight.

Sorry that is not 100% accurate.
Look at the Law LLB degree. The modules and content taught to students is regulated by the Law Society.
The only flexibility that the University has, is whether to teach in a more practical or theoretical manner whilst they also decide on the selection of other modules that students can choose from.

By having a degree that is set-up, organised, regulated and acknowledged by a governing-body who controls the content of what the students receive makes me wonder what additional value Oxbridge has over most other 'decent' establishments (barring that of the reputation, of course).

You cannot turn round and suggest Oxbridge's Law degree is more difficult than any other institution's law degree, simply because it's core content is regulated by an external body.
Worth noting that a lot of degrees are benchmarked by external agencies now, anyway. For example, biomedical science at Salford and biomedical science at Sheffield -- both are accredited by the IBMS, and so have to meet a given standard. Whilst Sheffield obviously looks better on paper, there is very little difference in degree quality.
Insecurity about their own university = the need to slag off others.
Reply 39
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Insecurity about their own university = the need to slag off others.

Summed it up perfectly. Insecurity is the breeding ground for cross-comparisons and efforts to boost self-perception. People create their on pathway in life, university is part of the journey, wherever someone goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending