The Student Room Group
Reply 1
theepw
Hiya,

Just wondering. If you have 1 mole of a drug, with a RMM of 84. How do you find out its % mass/weight?

I would have thought that you use the: moles=mass/rmm

Which goes to 1 x 84 = 84. Then divide that by 100?

= 0.84%

Any suggestions as to the right answer will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry, have to correct myself..

1 x 84 = 84 grams in 1000

84/1000 = 0.084 x 100 = 8.4%

Ok thanks, no need to reply just worked it out...
Reply 2
Hee Hee! I've forgotten all that stuff! Hopefully I'll never see it again!
Reply 3
ha, its gonna be in my biopharmaceutics exam on 2nd of June. Been reivsing all those calculation stuffs, too many equations to remember!
Reply 4
What's your biopharmaceutics module like? Mine doesn't have any equations or calculations - it's all theory on drug delivery.
Reply 5
HannahD
What's your biopharmaceutics module like? Mine doesn't have any equations or calculations - it's all theory on drug delivery.

hmm, its quite a lot, they have spent the whole year teaching - receptor theory (agonist, antagonist stuffs), thermodyanmics, rate of degradation (shelf life, half life, finding the extra conc to increase the shelf life), the henderson hasselbalch eqn and related, acid-base calculations, arrhenius, 1st, 2nd, zero order eqns, clearence. thats about it, i may have missed a lot out as i haven't gone thru them yet:biggrin:
Gio
hmm, its quite a lot, they have spent the whole year teaching - receptor theory (agonist, antagonist stuffs), thermodyanmics, rate of degradation (shelf life, half life, finding the extra conc to increase the shelf life), the henderson hasselbalch eqn and related, acid-base calculations, arrhenius, 1st, 2nd, zero order eqns, clearence. thats about it, i may have missed a lot out as i haven't gone thru them yet:biggrin:

That sounds like the physical pharmacy module we had to do in the first year. It was horrible and far too hard!
Reply 7
Jimmocrates
That sounds like the physical pharmacy module we had to do in the first year. It was horrible and far too hard!

so are you suggesting that as you move up the year, things get eaiser? - or rather, more relevent and interesting :biggrin:
Gio
so are you suggesting that as you move up the year, things get eaiser? - or rather, more relevent and interesting :biggrin:

Not always a case of easier, some modules are still really hard, but you get used to the style of exams and stuff. Some of the stuff is definitely more intersting than learning all that stuff you were saying that isn't really useful.
Reply 9
Jimmocrates

Don't even mention that module - it was a total nightmare. Thank God it was in first year and is over and done with! I heard it's even tougher now.

Latest

Trending

Trending