The Student Room Group

Languages You Know Or Have Studied

English = Write, read, understand, speak, mother tongue

Urdu/Hindi = Understand, speak broken Urdu, can watch films/television programmes in Urdu/Hindi

Punjabi = Understand only

Arabic = Religious language, have taken classes

German = GCSE Grade C, studied for 5 years at KS3 and KS4 joined

French = Studied for 3 years at KS3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
English- Mother tongue, read, write and understand fluently.

Spanish- Advanced level, read, write, communicate and understand to an advance level, particularly understand, my written needs a little more improving as I can be a tad sloppy.

German- Can understand and read German to an upper intermediate/advanced level, however my communication skills are poorer and need lots of work to improve.

Portuguese- can understand pretty much a lot based on my ability to read Spanish, but that's it.

French- can say some basic phrases, would be nice to learn a little more though.

Would overall love to learn an Eastern European language fluently or Russian, that'd be kinda cool.
Reply 2
English - First language I learnt. GCSE, grade B.

French - Studied for 5 years. GCSE, grade B. Asset language qualification, grade 3.

German - Studied for 3 years. Asset language qualification, grade 3.

Mandarin - Studied for a year. Asset language qualification, 2,2,3.

Somali - Mother tongue. Can read, write, speak and understand.

Arabic - Can read, write and understand odd words.

Italian - Can understand odd words.
English- native language

Spanish- advanced, near fluent.

Mandarin- beginner level
Reply 4
English - native

Spanish - advanced, studied at uni from post-A-level :biggrin:

German - upper intermediate, studied at uni from ab initio level :smile:

Very very basic french and italian :frown:

Would like to learn Russian fluently but it's kind of a holy grail for me. I'm so lazy :rolleyes:
English - the only language that I'm properly fluent in.
Bengali- mother tongue, I can understand and speak it but nowhere near fluently
French - Year 7-11, Getting A*s
Mandarin - I did it for 7 years but it was taught so poorly that I can hardly understand a thing
Korean - taught myself how to read and write, I can understand some words here and there
Arabic- read and write
Spanish, Hindi, Cantonese, - I can understand some words and phrases
And then very few words in a lot of other languages.
Reply 6
English- Mother tongue, fluent
Italian- Intermediate level, have been studying for a year, can get by in Italy
German- Studied for GCSE, got a B. Can still remember some basics.

French- not really studied, but I can understand about 60-70% of all French text that is written down simply by virtue of the huge similarities to written English. I can barely understand any spoken French though.
Reply 7
Italian - mother tongue :smile:
english - advanced, studying it at school
german - intermediate, studying it at school
french - intermediate have studied it for 3 years at school.. Not very good, but understand it quite well!
arabic - can say 'good morning my name is Livia' lol :tongue:
Reply 8
English- mother tongue :smile:

French- learnt since I was 4, but didn't do much useful stuff until I was in Year 7. Now doing a GCSE, predicted an A.

Spanish- studied for 2 years at KS3, can still speak and understand a little bit, I was achieving a level 6a at the end of Year 9 (so it was of similar standard to my French at that point).

Italian- studied for a year and a half, doing a GCSE, also predicted an A.

Chinese- attempting to teach myself, still quite early on though. Can speak and understand a little, slightly less good at the reading and writing.

German- I know a few very random phrases (like 'that is forbidden!'), which isn't much use at all xD

Russian- I can speak a very, very limited amount ('hello', 'goodbye', 'hat', and 'is this a theatre?'). Also not amazingly useful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
English - mother tongue.

French - Learnt for 9 years. I can probably get around france for a week on my own in french

German - A* at GCSE. Really clicks with me. I'm hoping to pick this up as an extra on my uni course to become fully fluent.

Swedish - Relatives, so I pick up bits.

Dutch - Self taught.
I've dabbled in a lot of languages (my friends counted them once and came up with 21 :s-smilie:) but never really took any very far except for German which I got a GCSE grade A in and Mandarin which I studied for a year before dropping out.

Plan is to go back to uni to study Japanese and will hopefully be near native in soon enough :smile: Would also love to take Swedish to higher levels . . .
Reply 11
Italian - mother language
German - also mother language (I'm bilingual).
English - first language I have learned, I would say advanced by now.
French - intermediate, I have learnt it at school.
Latin - can only write and read, but I always prefer to translate instead of actually reading. I would say low-intermediate.
Romanian - very basic, I can understand quite a bit of it, but can only just say two or three full sentences.
Reply 12
English - Fluent
Russian - Self Taught (i know:smile: )
German - Basic
Spanish - Basic
French - Learnt at school
Reply 13
Italian:mother language
English:1st language
French:known from childhood but still need to work on my writing
Arabic: can speak most of it,learnt in my childhood
Spanish and German basic
English - native language
Welsh - native language
French - studying at A-level
Esperanto - self-studied some of the basics

I've also had a one-week course of Mandarin in school. Hopefully in the future, I'll be able to add another two languages at least to that list, as well as refining the languages I know already.
Reply 15
English - mother tongue.
Latin - studied up to A-level.

And that's it. Did French up to Year 9 but never really got on with it, and can barely speak a word of it now (aside from the obvious phrases). I can identify some Italian words due to knowing Latin but I can't speak it or anything.

So, the one language, aside from English, that I actually have any decent knowledge of is not actually used anymore...
English - native

Spanish - fluent and speak it almost as comfortably as my mothertongue.

Catalan - fluent, but I can't speak as fluidly as I would like. Better at reading/writing.

French - studied on and off, with a year-long break ending now as I'm studying it at advanced level at uni. Hoping to be as fluent in it by the end of my course as I am in Spanish.

German - Just started at beginner's level at uni. Also hoping to be fairly proficient.

Classics - studied them, Latin for 3 years and Ancient Greek for 2. Can't really speak them, obviously, and I don't remember much.

I can also generally understand some written words or phrases from other romance languages, but that's about it. Some random Japanese words :biggrin:
Reply 17
English - mother tongue
French - second language, fluent
Spanish - can understand written Spanish and most spoken Spanish, but still need to improve my spoken Spanish
Portuguese - basic, can understand fairly well since it's so similar to Spanish
German - A* GCSE, understand written a lot more than spoken, can hold a basic conversation but nothing too complex
Italian - a few words spoken, can understand written Italian (similarities to French/Spanish)

:rolleyes:
English, french and spannish!
Languages :smile: :

English - Mother tongue

Bengali - Mother tongue: I can speak fluently and understand everything; but, I never learned to read or write

Hindi / Urdu - I can understand if someone were to speak to me in these languages or if I were ever watching a movie, but I've never practised speaking either of them or ever learned to read or write

Arabic - I learned to read this at a young age so I could read the Qur'an in its native language; however, my reading is limited in the sense that I can read and pronounce the words but I don't know what any of it means

French - I've been learning this since I was 9/10 in Primary 6 and it's been 8 years and I'm studying it at university

Spanish - I've been learning this since I was 14 and its been 4 years and I'm studying it at university

Japanese - I've been learning this since I started university, so it's been about 12 weeks
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending