The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary English University of Manchester - skills tests!

Hi Guys,

I feel like I'm in such a flap now! Basically I have an interview at University of Manchester for PGCE Secondary English tomorrow but I haven't as yet done my skills tests. This is mainly because I'm working full time in retail at the moment as well as doing two days a week voluntary work experience in a secondary school, and with the run up to Christmas I just can't request time off to revise for and take the tests. I realise I could have arranged them on days when I should have been in school but by this point I feel I have responsibility towards both the school and my job.

I also haven't taken them because in amongst all the literature I read on my different choices of Universities, I thought that the University of Manchester were fairly lenient on when the skills tests were taken, provided they were in so many days of an offer being given. I now realise that I must have read that about a different University (Manchester Metropolitan maybe?) because when I've just gone to double check I've discovered they seem to place much more emphasis on the tests been taken before the interview, although they do say that they will still interview applicants who have not taken the tests and any offers are conditional on the tests being passed within 30 days of the offer being given. Obviously taking the tests before the interview is out of the question for me now, but I had already booked tests for the 3rd January when work will be quieter and it will be easier to take a few days off.

So I suppose what I want opinions on is how much a chance do I have now of getting an offer? I know I will be up against people who have already taken and passed them so I am inclined to think that I've really got to nail all parts of the interview to even be considered for an offer. Or am I getting way too worked up about this and actually, it's fairly usual for applicants to take tests after their interview and on the back of an offer from a University?

Can anyone shed any light on this please? Are there any glimmers of hope for me at all?

Thank you again and again,
Louise
Reply 1
Hi Louise,

I also have an interview at Manchester on the 24th Jan, but haven't actually even thought about the skills tests yet.
Hope your interview went well :smile: did you manage to do the tests before the interview?
I did read on the website that preference is given to those that have passed their tests prior to the interview, but i'm not too sure about it all!

I'm so nervous for this interview! Have no clue what to expect, havent even been sent any information yet

Lana :smile: x
Hi louelma.

I was there on the same day for interview. I have an offer but have to do a 6 month SKE too which I am okay with and need it to be honest. Thankfully I've managed to find on online one and just waiting to find out if I am accepted on that as I work full time.

How did you get on ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending