The Student Room Group

Considering Quitting Current Uni, Moving to more prestigious university

Hi everyone!

Currently a 2nd Year at Uni. My course is Ok, however I feel as if I could be doing a degree that challenges me more on a mental level. I also feel that employers do not respect my degree to a certain level in respect to other courses.

Currently I am doing good in my course modules. I have looked about the possibility of changing course, and if i was to return to first year, I would only go to a prestigious university (I have good A Level and GCSE grades).

Money plays a part in this however, as many of the Unis in England are charging 9000 a year. Yet I will have to provide one year's funding of the course myself due to Student Finance only financing:

Your Current Degree + 1 Year - Any previous Years at Uni.

What do you guys think i should do?
What are you currently studying and where? What would you like to be studying and where?
If the difference between them isnt great then it really isnt worth it, like if youre doing music technology and want to do media studies.
Reply 2
"that challenges me more on a mental level"

Getting A+ for every single assignment? No? Then read every journal article you can find on a particular subject/topic that interests you. Follow up all the references & citations in these and read those works. Read recent Masters and PhD thesis for your subject now lodged in your Uni library - and then tell me that your 'mental level' isnt challenged.

University is what YOU make it. It isnt up to tutors and lecturers to tell you exactly what extras to read/study - thats the difference between A levels and Uni. No University is going to spoon feed you to the extent you seem to want, so swapping Unis wont help you. You have to put in the work, the effort, the trudging through the books. If you do, you will find a First from QUB will open as many doors for you as possible.

So, stop blaming the University and look very long and hard at the amount of work you ARENT doing.
Do you have the A levels to go to Imperial? It's a tough course I know that much, the people studying it don't have much of a social life so I've heard. I can't imagine the modules are too different from straight CS at QUB. Just looking at the course content now and it isn't too different from my first year doing CS at Durham. Studying at Imperial will obviously open a lot of doors but not if you only get a 2.2, id think quite hard about it and speak to some people there, you may be able to transfer into 2nd year but I think it's unlikely, it's possible at a lot of universities though. Have you look at just switching to straight CS at QUB?
I was looking at transferring at the start of this year but I realised I have a lot of friends here and I love the place so didn't in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending