The Student Room Group

Which uni's better for chemical eng, ashton or loughborough?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chris-69
Unis and their rankings kind of need to be taken with a pinch of salt. They're not completely useless, but they are only accurate to, around, 20 places when you move outside of the top 5.

You can see this variation, quite drastically, when you compare UK tables to world tables.

So yeah, they are useful but are not the be-all-end-all :P

Edit: I think UCAS talks about this somewhere...

Yes I agree :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by ElChapo
Loughborough is better than Aston for ChemEng, i applied to both, got an offer from Aston, havent heard from Loughborough, from my research Loughborough has a very good engineering department

Yes Loughborough is great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by shalla13
Yes Loughborough is great :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you dont mind 60% boys to 40% girls lol
Reply 23
Original post by ElChapo
If you dont mind 60% boys to 40% girls lol

I most certainly don't :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by shalla13
You are exaggerating . Unis in the top 20-30 tend to stay in the top 20-30. There is a reason for this. There are many factors which justify a drastic change in the ranking of a uni. Funding being the most important. The more money a uni receives ,the more they invest on improving their quality (teaching,facilities,Su,infrastructure,accommodation... ect). Then the multiplier effect comes into action and their quality improves on a long term basis. Then student satisfaction will be high as well as the quality of the teaching. With this will come a reputation which will tend to be long lasting. This is why you'll find that many 'new' unis aren't at the top of the league tables because they don't have a long standing reputation. Also they can't afford to be too selective so this brings their entry requirements down and leads to low overall results. Then even if they get a reasonable amount of money , they will still be regarded as second class because of their results and the general level of the people they accept.
Soas however does fall into the category of 'top unis' which has fallen in the league tables (by around 12 places). This is purely because they've been resting on their laurels and haven't really been bothering to make the effort of making their students feel 'student happy'. When funding /investment changes so does the ranking.
They do break things down on league tables. They don't just throw random numbers at you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your faith in league table position is as touching as it is misplaced. I've higlighted the bit where you constucted us a nice story to explain how SOAS went from 18 to 30 in the complete university guide league table - obviously 22 unis were able to leap frog it in a single year because they all significantly improved the experience of final year students in just 12 months :rolleyes:
Reply 25
Hmm thanks for the info guys, i'd rather go to aston than loughborough coz it's got a better student life and it's in Birmingham whereas lough is a campus in the middle of nowhere lol

Any other uni's with a good chem eng department and have a good student life? I've chosen, birmingham, aston, ucl, nottingham so far. I have 1 more to choose..
Original post by ItsDatGuy
Which one is better for chem eng? out of the two

League tables tell you exactly who is the best for chemical engineering! Google it :smile:
Loughborough
Reply 28
Original post by Ilovebiology
League tables tell you exactly who is the best for chemical engineering! Google it :smile:

Haha you're going to start the league table debate ALL over again :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by ItsDatGuy
Hmm thanks for the info guys, i'd rather go to aston than loughborough coz it's got a better student life and it's in Birmingham whereas lough is a campus in the middle of nowhere lol

Any other uni's with a good chem eng department and have a good student life? I've chosen, birmingham, aston, ucl, nottingham so far. I have 1 more to choose..

Newcastle? excellent student city imo.

going to depend on what sort of grades are you looking at and where about in the country you'd like to spend your time tbh.
Reply 30
what's better for chemical engineering, aston or sheffield?

Quick Reply

Latest