The Student Room Group

``
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What do you mean by presentation devices?

And if you were still wondering about exaggeration - better known in literary circles as hyperbole, (pronounced Hyper Bolly), the effect depends on the piece. Sometimes it makes us doubt the narrator, other times it makes us (the reader) have a certain emotional response :smile:
Original post by Jatz07
Thanks mate! Greatly appreciated!
What I meant by presentational features was like Headlines; font; subheadings; capitals etc. + their effect, how it is effective and the effect on the writer + analyze (this is more for Q2)

Aha, now I follow you.

Thats actually a difficult question. Did you have any poem/ text in mind? In a general sense, all I can think of is the respectful capital G in God, in poetry such as Blake's The Garden of Love (He gives nature a capital N to link it to god).

An amazing title technique I read in a book calle ArtemisFowl when I was younger is use to introduce a new character. One of the characters ends Chapter 2 with the line..

"Nobody could be that completely, utterly, insane."

Chapter 3: Completely, utterly insane.
Reply 3
there is no point taking the exam... my teacher says

hes puling our whole year out of it

supposedly AQA will let schools do the paper... which will cost them, and it will be marked .... BUT..big BUT lol
Anyway,, they will not be graded and no UMS mark will be given
he was saying that it will not count towards the final gcse
and that since all of our year has already done the exam, and since we are only allowed to do it twice... hes only putting us in for june

lets discuss

and oh.. the big court case about this started today

Ryan
Reply 4
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Aha, now I follow you.

Thats actually a difficult question. Did you have any poem/ text in mind? In a general sense, all I can think of is the respectful capital G in God, in poetry such as Blake's The Garden of Love (He gives nature a capital N to link it to god).

An amazing title technique I read in a book calle ArtemisFowl when I was younger is use to introduce a new character. One of the characters ends Chapter 2 with the line..

"Nobody could be that completely, utterly, insane."

Chapter 3: Completely, utterly insane.

Question 1 is fairly straight forward
question 2 is easy if you listed everything and made notes before hand
Question 3 is a load of waffle lol
Question 4 ... I hate this one!!
5+6 are alright as long as its persuade or argue... i hate inform or ''write a letter''

lol

Ryan
Original post by ryanb97
Question 1 is fairly straight forward
question 2 is easy if you listed everything and made notes before hand
Question 3 is a load of waffle lol
Question 4 ... I hate this one!!
5+6 are alright as long as its persuade or argue... i hate inform or ''write a letter''

lol

Ryan

:confused:
Reply 6
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
:confused:

:K::K:
Reply 7
For Question 2, you could say something like:

"The headline is effective because it grabs the reader's attention quickly. The use of a bold and large heading stands out on the page and attracts attention, though it is not in the centre of the article. The use of the word "hope," is effective because it supports the picture which connotes hope. The copy (text) is supported by the headline because it shares the same theme. Readers, therefore, want to read on."

This would be one paragraph. You could probably get away with condensing some of it.
For writing/ informing/persuading/arguing/ our teacher gave us this:

GCSE English Language Examination, Section B Writing Tasks

Writing tasks will be based on a range of non-fiction genres. Some tasks will be clearly functional in
context (for example giving information or instruction). There will be one shorter task which is more informative or descriptive and is based on personal details and/or experience and one longer task which argues, persuades or takes a viewpoint which must be sustained. All tasks will ask candidates to write for specific audiences and purposes, adapting their style so that it is fit for purpose.

Shorter Writing: Purpose
Writing to INFORM
INSTRUCT
DESCRIBE

Definite language

Statistics

Facts

Neutral/Balanced (not focused on 1 opinion)

Expert opinions

Eyewitness accounts/personal experience anecdotes from those involved

Definite language

Imperatives (if tone allows)

Modal verb should (instructional but less severe than imperative)

Simple sentence instruction followed by more complex explanations/reasoning

Facts

Statistics

Expert opinions

Adjectives

Adverbs

Imagery inc simile, metaphor, personification

Emotive language

Compounded words

Active verbs

Longer Writing: Purpose
Writing to ARGUE
PERSUADE

One-sided

Clear opinion

Dismissive of other points of view

Tone is respectful but determined (not too ‘ranty’)

Imperatives

Facts

Statistics

Expert opinion

Emotive language

Imagery

Rhetorical devices

jargon

Clear opinion

More subtle in tone

Shows flaws in counter-arguments

Rhetorical devices

Emotive language/imagery

Facts

Statistics

Expert opinion

jargon

anecdote

FORM
FEATURES
Article

Headline

Subheading

By line

Caption (if you inc a description of a pic)

Lead paragraph (inc some/all of these: Who, What, Where, When, Why, How)

Columns (?)

* Include 1 single sentence paragraph

Letter

Box for address(es)

Greeting Dear (Sir/Title = Yours faithfully & Name = Yours sincerely)

Short opening paragraph outlining your reason for writing

Salutation

Include 1 single sentence paragraph

Essay

Title

Paragraphed prose

Leaflet

Heading

Subheadings through out the text to indicate sections

Paragraphs

Bullet points can be included

Contact details

Blog

Title

Subheadings

Feeds

Tabs

URL

spaces for pic

Diary

Opening - Dear Diary

Conclusive statement

Audience
Writing FORMALLY
Writing INFORMALLY

Standard English

Accurate grammar & syntax

Sustained tense (probably present or past but tense shifts should be consciously done)

Impersonal 3rd person or passive voice in the main but this does depend on task set

Careful tone selection

Range of connectives

Range of ambitious vocabulary

N.B. It will NEVER be appropriate to write a whole text informally, as it is important that you prove to the examiner that you can write in Standard English. However, certain audiences may enable you to show some skill in including a little informal expression.

dialect vocabulary

some appropriate slang

grammar rules can be broken for effect

occasional, phonetic spelling for effect

occasional emoticon if appropriate to form

Initialisms e.g BTW if appropriate to form

occasional abbreviation

more friendly/conversational tone

All of this should be placed inside speech marks to acknowledge that it is not S.E.
Reply 9
I really don't understand how to do question 1... My teacher says it might be because I have a more 'sciency' brain so I tend to over-complicated things that are perhaps 'too easy'? So if anyone has any way of like, always getting this question right it would be greatly appreciated:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Chovey
I really don't understand how to do question 1... My teacher says it might be because I have a more 'sciency' brain so I tend to over-complicated things that are perhaps 'too easy'? So if anyone has any way of like, always getting this question right it would be greatly appreciated:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!
For Question 1, you usually summarize the actual text so you pick out key points which explain where,when who,why,how and explain them in your own words.. DON'T PICK OUT ANY LINGUISTIC DEVICES AS THATS FOR QUESTION 4.. if you can notice any different angles or views make sure you mention them and that you do between 4-6 PEE's

By any chance are you good at question 4? :colondollar:

Rakhee
Reply 11
Thank you so much, when you explain it like that it makes so much more sense! I know it's such a simple question but I've never properly understood it before until now, so again, thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Oh and yeah, I got like one mark off full marks, what would you like me to explain?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do not know about perceptive but this is what I wrote, maybe it will help and please not this was my first try lol

The Headline is effective for many reasons; one of which is that it is very big,bold and is at the top the article so it is the first thing the people will see. The headline starts of in a very sad way Four amputations” however it ends with “extraordinary swim”, this will not only reassure the reader that is not a sad story and/but will also entice them to keep on reading to find out what it is about(could this be perceptive?also forgot the do the subhead-line lol). It tells a very small part of the story which people will be keep to find out.

The headline links with the text at some points such as the “13 hours” which is linked to the text where it mentions him swimming for “13 and a half hours”. Also in the text it explain the story of the “Four amputations”.

The picture is very effective as it Big and probably the most eye catching part. It has a picture of Phillipe crossing the waves which are somewhat strongly flowing,suggesting that he is fighting the water and this could represent to the reader what he has been going through all his life (this part perceptive? I think it is just what you can analyses from it ) . Also in the picture he has a golden clothes which could make him look like some kind of 'hero' facing towards the camera.

The picture links with the text as it direct links to him and his achievement of crossing the river which is shown in the picture. It also says “I am doing this above all for myself, but also to set an example” which could be shown by, again, the golden clothes representing inspiration and hope when facing the camera.
Reply 14
hi i am also doing this exam but struggling on both Q2 and Q4 i was just wondering if anyone could give me a list or something that i could follow for Q2? just with things that i should do in the exam because in practice i just freeze and can't think of anything!

thanks in advance!
Becky
Original post by becky345
hi i am also doing this exam but struggling on both Q2 and Q4 i was just wondering if anyone could give me a list or something that i could follow for Q2? just with things that i should do in the exam because in practice i just freeze and can't think of anything!

thanks in advance!
Becky

I found someone who had this, so it's not mind but credit and kudos to who made it:

Question 1 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
1st paragraph - Overview of key points/concerns in the article (no quote needed). Concluding sentence of articles opinion.
3 mini paragraphs - One of the previously listed concerns/points for each paragraph. Quotation and perceptive interpretation - use cross referencing if a similar point is repeated in the article.
4th paragraph (conditional) - Highlight the counter-argument and interpret if there is one. Needs a perceptive overview.

Question 2 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
Two paragraphs.
Focus on two main presentation devices, eg header, image, font, text shape - must be significant to the article.
Try to make sections equal length. Quote from the text to link devices and use descriptive language (imagine the examiner is blind)!

Question 3 - 8 marks, 12 minutes.
1st paragraph - Concise overview of the writers feelings, include some quotes and a short interpretive, concluding sentence.
4 mini paragraphs - PEEL. Clear point, quote evidence, interpretive explanation, expand on interpretation and analysis of language using sophisticated vocab and requoting.

Question 4 - 16 marks, 24 minutes.
REMEMBER FLAP - Form, language, audience, presentational devices
Paragraph 1 - State purpose/form/tone for both texts.
Paragraph 2 - Narative viewpoint for both texts and impact that has on the read alongside the tone is reveals. Include quptes with interpretation of what effect this has.
Paragraph 3 - Focus on devices! Eg - imagery,rhetorical, semantic fields, use of statistics, repetition). Use quotes and interpretation of effect on the reader. Don't use basic things like 'helps the reader to understand' - expand the point!
Paragraph 4 - Select word choices and interpret verbs/adjectives/nouns/adverbs - maybe colloquialisms too. How this narrates/presents the text.
Can you add it for me so I can perhaps understand it a little better?
Thanks.
Hi, I'm really struggling with question four and five, mostly.
Firstly, I'm finding it really difficult to analyse so quickly and also write well, I sem to be describing instead of actually analysing.
And for the shorter writing task, I can never think of anything interesting to write,and my vocabulary is awful. I some how need to expand my vocabulary and improve my writing with different sentence stuctures!
Also would it be better to write in a more light-hearted way for question five, or would that give a lower mark, because I find writing emotionally extremly hard.

I need any tips, suggestions, perhaps sample pieces. I just need help, as it's on thursday and I am freaking out!
Original post by Jatz07
hey

Has anyone got any gd tips on writing to inform or explain?
Perhaps, an A* exemplar piece if possible?

Thanks in advance

Jatz

To Inform :

Strong Clear Opening, Include in the opening and brief summary of the topic, have a logical order, sum up all your points in the final paragraph, use a formal tone.

A* Example :

Dear Mr Fletcher,
I am writing, on behalf of the student council of Greenacres College, to inform you of our concerns about the environment. When I use the word 'environment', I refer not to the state of our planet, the plight of the world's wildlife or the future of the eco-system, but to the everyday environment in which we work.
We students have become very concerned lately about the amount of litter to be found around the school. Almost every day, students arrive in their classrooms to find the floors are covered in all manner of detritus. Desks are embellished daily with fresh graffiti and their undersides with stale gum.
The corridors are even worse. Very few bins are provided and they are all overflowing with litter. Small, plastic swing-top bins, designed for suburban kitchens are clearly not adequate for the needs of a busy college like ours.
Finally, I turn to the foyer - the first and last impression received by any visitor. Not the warmest of welcomes. It is drab. It is un-cared for. It is unfriendly. No stranger who enters that space could fail to be underwhelmed; no distinguished visitor could leave it without a sense of relief.
These are the facts which I place before you on behalf of my fellow students. I should be most grateful if you, as Principle of Greenacres, would give them the consideration they deserve. We, the students, would be happy to present you with our own proposals for improvement. I look forward to receiving your response.
Yours Sincerely
Ciaran Rutherfurd.

Yeah this is about an A*, hope this helps :wink:
Reply 19
I'm sitting this exam too! :s-smilie:
I'm mainly worried about Question 6, how many paragraphs do you guys usually write?
I usually do 5 (including intro and conclusion), but they end up reasonably long and I know that the mark scheme mentions varying the length of paragraphs...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending