The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jatz07
hey

Quick question:

When we write articles, any type of article, (for a* purpose) does it always have to include headline, sub headline and perhaps a strap line for a*

Please reply ASAP

Thanks in advance

Jatz

For this - the way I've been taught is that it really depends on the form - an article for a newspaper would need this but for a website for example wouldn't, not sure if that's correct but it's what I'll be going by -so not all articles.
Reply 61
Original post by Jackwtaylor
The 15 minutes is intended as reading time, but you can use it however you want.

Okay, thank you very much
Good luck everyone for the exam tomorrow! Hope you all do well, and for some last minute revision go over structuring your questions, you can check out videos on youtube by mrbuff or WCSEnglish, and get an early night, you don't want to fall asleep during the exam! And hopefully we can hear how everyone found it tomorrow. Good luck!
Reply 63
Are you guys doing the higher or foundation paper😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jatz07
omg

I completely forgot!
what if we get a question on Q2 saying:

Explain how the headline and picture add to th effectiveness of text?

How do you answer that for 8/8? Do you link it to the text?!?!?

Please reply asap

I'm pretty sure that all of the Q2s are the same and have always been the same, but if they did give us that then it does mention the text and it does point out that you have to link it to the text, so you'd probably give exacty the same kind of answer. But like i said i've only ever seen the other one which includes about linking it to the text.
Reply 65
Good luck for tommorow everyone! Gonna be annotating the metro on the way to school haha :wink: also just converting some of wcse videos to mp3 so I should listen to them until my exam starts haha! I'm sure all of you will do great! Just don't panic and be confident as all your hard work should pay off!

Rakhee
Original post by Jatz07
Thanks
:smile:

Good Luck for tomorrow mate! I'm going to try and wake up 6am and go through notes/structure in detail... I hope the writing questions and sources are okay...

Best of Luck mate!

Jatz

Glad to help, and thanks for everything too :smile:

Thanks a lot, yeah i'll try doing the same but I don't want to be tired in the morning so should go to sleep soon, but i'm just worrying so much. And yeah if we get really weird or boring sources then it'll be loads harder, and I hope our writing tasks arn't too hard either.

Thanks, same to you, Good luck! :smile: Tell me how it goes for you after the exam aswell.
Tell my mum I love her.
^We will never know till August when the damn grade boundaries come out. All I know is that I need a 60/80 to secure the A.
Would highly doubt that the grade boundaries would go up by another 4-5 marks after all that bull last year.
Okay so I have to say I think the exam went quite well! I was freaking out about the writing questions and they were actually quite easy!! Surprisingly the articles were more interesting than they have been and I actually answered everything so that's always good. I'm not sure how everyone else found it yet but I think the grade boundary for and A* will be around 65/80 :smile:
Reply 70
How was it everyone?
I loved the writing section but probably messed up the reading LOADS :/ question 1 was ok, on 2 I don't think I was perceptive but it wasn't awful, and question 3 I found hard! I just kept repeating how he was panicky and distressed, but everyone I know seemed to write that he looked to his friend for comfort so I think I've done that all wrong :/ and question 4 wasn't good at all, I waffled.
Hope it went well for all of you though! Sorry about this negative post, needed a mini rant lol xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was not very hard not was it too easy.
I did all quite good, got a good perceptive on Q4 about the way sound is imagined when Bill opened his bag, it did not say opened it said "unzipped" so I wrote that it makes us here the sound in our heads :smile:.
For Q5, I dunno if I got it right lol. It asked for which part of year you liked and why? Explain and describe.
I that it was coming up again, the time of year which was summer that we every year go on trips. I then explained Last years trip in Drayton Manner Theme Park, and said I could not wait for the Alton Tower Theme Park trip, and that is why I loved summer. It is different to most others who wrote about snow and winter, but is it a big wrong to what the question asked?
^^^^^^^ I cannot agree with you more. I enjoyed Q1 + Q2, AND ALL OF A SUDDEN Q3 KILLED MY WAY OF THINKING.
Couldn't write much for Q3 or Q4. I'm annoyed.
Reply 73
You definitely weren't the only ones stuck on 3 & 4!
If you don't mind me asking, what did you all put for question 4?

I did: short one word sentences in both sources ("Slimezilla!" and "Bear!" ) , speech in source 3 and expert's quotation in 2, and repetition of "really" in 3 and a list in source 2. (lol the list wasn't even a list really, it was just a group of three - but I was running out of techniques!)
Wish I'd written about the jellyfish ice cream!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could I just ask how many pages people wrote for Q3 and Q4 because I wrote 1 and a half for Q3 because I failed to understand thoughts and feelings And for Q4 I did a bit over 2.
Original post by tingirl
You definitely weren't the only ones stuck on 3 & 4!
If you don't mind me asking, what did you all put for question 4?

I did: short one word sentences in both sources ("Slimezilla!" and "Bear!" ) , speech in source 3 and expert's quotation in 2, and repetition of "really" in 3 and a list in source 2. (lol the list wasn't even a list really, it was just a group of three - but I was running out of techniques!)
Wish I'd written about the jellyfish ice cream!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I forgot but I think I wrote one paragraph on the difference, one is to inform and other is to entertain. I did source 1 and 3.

Then I do evocative language/vivid and the sound that is in our heads.
Finally I did how the first setence of each sets a tone.

I hope loads of people failed with 3 and 4 which will make the grade boundary change and help all of us.

Most perceptive comment was about the Unzipping instead of opening, which created a sound in the head of the audience, hopefully they will pick it up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jatz07
Hey

The exam was cool (I don't want to jinx it) lol

Q1 was fairly straightforward... wrote 3 pages with LOTS and LOTS of embedded quotes
Q2 i analyzed the headline in enough detail with perceptive comments. For example,

The headline is extremely effective as the peculiar word "Stingy" (i cannot remember the word) and the refreshing words "Monster Jellyfish" hint at an enthralling story behind the headline, however does not explain it in enough detail. As a result , this keeps the reader in suspense, thus adds to effectiveness of headline as the reader will want to know more; in effect, therefore, giving the reader warm, but densely packed chills

and about 5 other points on the headline, i felt i could of analysed picture more....

Q3 was fairly cool too, I started off talking about how nervous and anxious the writer is etc..... and loads of points - around 7-8 paragraphs with loads of embedded quotes and perceptive

Q4 ---> ARGH! I compared source 1 and 3... ran out of time so could not make a plan so i only did 5 paragrapjhs...

Intro, 1st paragraph, 2nd paragraph, 3rd paragraph then I had to rush straight to conclusion! Worst of all, I asked for extra paper in the exam and it took 2 minutes for the teacher to find it! I wrote a perceptive point because in Source 3: i wrote something on sibilance and said the peition of "s", sounds as if you are breathing fast , perhaps implying that they were deprived of oxygen as the sitiuation was tense and mystical, in effect the reader also feels intense and etc..................

Q5 ---> LOAD OF WAFFLE LOL!

Q6 ---> gd article to write about...

So, how did everyone find the exam?

Take care

Jatz

Just saying, writing 7 or 8 paragraphs on Q1, 2 and 3, you are almost certainly going to run out of time.

You can get full marks in those questions with 4 paragraphs. Maybe 3, even. If you do 7 or 8, you won't get extra marks, and you'll just lose them all when you run out of time on Q4.

Q4 is the question with the most dropped marks on average.

However, it sounds like you are incredibly perceptive. Your point about sibilance is incredible.

Good luck anyway:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay, for me...

Q1, was nothing. 4 large paragraphs, something about immunity and not having any diseases in their tribe.

Q2, again, easy. The exclamation "Slimezilla!" was something to write about, excites the audience, adds 'fun' appeal, makes it more readable.

Q3, wasn't too hard, he goes from uncertainty to fear to desperation.

Q4, I did 1 and 3. 8 paragraphs, mentioned purpose, mentioned audience, did structure, did language, all bases covered.

Writing wasn't as comfortable as usual. I reckon I did okay though, was quite subtle, added a couple of jokes to make it jaunty enough to qualify as a blog.

Q6 wasn't that hard at all.
Original post by Guills on wheels
Just saying, writing 7 or 8 paragraphs on Q1, 2 and 3, you are almost certainly going to run out of time.

You can get full marks in those questions with 4 paragraphs. Maybe 3, even. If you do 7 or 8, you won't get extra marks, and you'll just lose them all when you run out of time on Q4.

Q4 is the question with the most dropped marks on average.

However, it sounds like you are incredibly perceptive. Your point about sibilance is incredible.

Good luck anyway:smile:

Yeah your right you don't need to fill up all the pages especially for Question 1 to 3 there the questions with the least marks move onto Question 4 because that's where all the marks are at.

Question 1: All I did was talk about the illnesses they have and their history. 4 Paragraphs

Question 2: Not sure about this one said that Slimezilla was word play also wrote about how the diver stands out in the background because its flippers and goggles were glowing in the background then linked the headline and picture to the text. 3 Paragraphs.

Question 3: Think this was my best one talked about how he was scared, cautious and other things. Think I did alright there. 4 Paragraphs.

Question 4: Source 3 and Source 2 had a lot in common Source 2 used a lot of similes just Source 2 had one in the Source. Source 2 also had imagery like Source 3 as well and I can't remember what I wrote for my last paragraph. I didn't do an introduction or conclusion because that wasn't really needed in my opinion so I just jumped straight into it. I'm not sure about this one we'll have to wait and see. 3 Paragraphs.

Question 5: I started to write about Christmas not sure where I was going with it but I did use quite a few bits of punctuation and an anecdote not sure about other devices. I think my spelling and punctuation will bring my grade up on this one. 4 Paragraphs.

Question 6: Not sure about this one sure of I started of with a massive magazine title like you would find in the article so the examiner knows what kind of structure I'm writing in. Then started of with an introduction saying which side I was on. Then went into the essay writing about how lazy children are and that I have kid myself and made them apply for Duke of Edinburgh. Then I gave the other side of the argument saying that I played Black Ops 2 on their Playstation and how I got really into it. Then I concluded it by saying I don't get as fustrated but they have to complete Duke of Edinburgh. I misspelled Duke of Edinburgh twice not sure if I will get penalized on that one. 4 Paragraphs.

All in all thought the exam was ok few silly mistakes but went back and checked them looking to get a B in it so I can do Geography A-Level
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by COME ON ARSENAL!!!
Yeah your right you don't need to fill up all the pages especially for Question 1 to 3 there the questions with the least marks move onto Question 4 because that's where all the marks are at.

For Question 1 all I did was 4 paragraphs, Question 2 I did 3 Paragraphs, Question 3 I did 4 Paragraphs and Question 4 I did 3 long Paragraphs comparing Source 3 to Source 2 took up about 2 pages.

Source 3 and Source 2 had a lot in common Source 2 used a lot of similes just Source 2 had one in the Source. Source 2 also had imagery like Source 3 as well and I can't remember what I wrote for my last paragraph. I didn't do an introduction or conclusion because that wasn't really needed in my opinion so I just jumped straight into it.

Conclusions can help. I reckon you'd need at least 6 in Q4 for good marks, but you sound sorted:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest