The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guills on wheels
Conclusions can help. I reckon you'd need at least 6 in Q4 for good marks, but you sound sorted:biggrin:

Yeah my school decided to teach us a lot about structuring the exam and timing because apparently loads of people lose marks there.

But I'm hoping to get a B in this exam to do Geography AS :biggrin:
We were told not to do introductions and conclusions for questions one to four, although it seems on here like a lot of you have.

Q1 - I wrote two pages featuring about ten different quotes. I inferred about four of them, which should have been enough. I found it easy enough.

Q2 - I didn't like this one. From the headline I wrote about the words 'Slimezilla' (which I got confused with King Kong and referred to as being a giant gorilla), 'monster', 'threatens' and 'nuclear', however the first three were all effective in very similar ways. However, the image was alright; I wrote about how the colossal size of the jellyfish suggests the danger and power it could hold, the black surroundings suggests that other 'monsterous' creatures could be lurking in the deep, creating curiosity and apprehension, and the bright colours in the background made the jellyfish stand out (I didn't have time to express this point in enjoy detail). This all covered about three pages.

Q3 - I spent too much of the time on heavy textual analysis in the first couple of paragraphs, covering about too pages. I mentioned the linguist devises a lot, which I probably shouldn't have done, but the simile about the ants showed his emotions very well. I therefore ran out of time for analysing the second half. I also didn't analyse any of the 'obvious' emotions stated in the pieces (such as 'curiously', 'nervously' etc.) which would have probably saved me time.

Q4 - I really ran out of time here. I compared source three with source two and wrote three pages, but it only consisted of five paragraphs (three about source two and two about source three). Hopefully they were in enough detail.

Q5 - I didn't like the question. It was hard to be original, which is what the exam board are keen on us being. I wrote a sterotypical article about the winter and snow, snow, snow. I think I covered about three pages.

Q6 - This went quite well, I think. I enjoyed it, at least. I started by creating visual imagery with a description of trekking through remote mountains in Thailand, using lots of direct address and vocabulary. This covered about half a page, after which I went on to using persuasive techniques such as rhectorical questions, syndetic listing and facts and figures. However, I forgot that the article was supposed to be centred around 'young people' travelling, so I potentially lost some marks there in terms of content. Apart from that, that question was quite good, and I wrote about three and a half pages overall.
Reply 82
Overall I think the exam went okay :-Q1 was easy i thought and i think ill have done quite well on the question

Q2 i found a bit more difficult. I just wrote about the words used in the title and how they linked with the text and also how the picture was effective

Q3 i think this one went okay but i thought it was very time consuming

Q4 i tried to save at least 20 minutes for this question as i wanted to get as many marks as possible. I didnt bother with an introduction, i just followed some advice from my teacher and went directly in to the question :-) i wrote about source 2 and source 3, i said that they were similar because of similes, titles and speech and that they were different because of the use of different figurative techniques, purpose and facts. Thats about it i hope i've done okay as i really don't want to re-sit this exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anyone actually enjoy reading Source 3 I thought it was quite an interesting and funny Source to be honest especially the part when his friend told him that he had nail clippers in the bag to kill the bear LOL
Reply 84
Hmn the exam was alright, wasn't too bad... Struggled a bit on question 2 with timing; there was so much to write about! Im a bit scared that I didnt relate my inferences and my quotes and stuff to the question enough in q1.. Question 5 was horrible. What shouldve been a really easy question, i totally ruined my chances of getting full marks cos I said that I was an examiner or whatever who liked exam season and i hated children, in the midddle i was just rambling about garbage, i didnt even use any language techniques except rule of three and anecdote!! Damn i really hope my examiner's nice... Lol. Question 6 was alright... Was i the only one to argue against travelling? Cos i used the sources and stuff... Oh and i barely finished, aw jeez.. Well just needed to have that little rant right there lol.... Do you get extra points for originality or whatever? Also i didnt put it in blog form with the whole 'hi everybody, thanks for reading' etc ... Im gonna lose marks arent i? Can anyone predict how many marks i got for question 5? And also, i swear for question 4 its not really about the language techniques, isnt it more about specific words and phrases and what they imply etc? And the effect on the reader etc etc. thats just what we were taught.
Just a quick question, in Question 6, I did not have enough time and so only wrote an introduction then two paragraphs and then a conclusion. This only took about two pages (my handwriting is quite small) however, this is still very little, my writing was good, its just it was really short... How much is the minimum and maximum mark I can achieve? Thank you. I am really trying to get an a*
Reply 86
Original post by OCRScience
Just a quick question, in Question 6, I did not have enough time and so only wrote an introduction then two paragraphs and then a conclusion. This only took about two pages (my handwriting is quite small) however, this is still very little, my writing was good, its just it was really short... How much is the minimum and maximum mark I can achieve? Thank you. I am really trying to get an a*

Tbh it really depends on how you wrote cos if you wrote in enough detail two pages should be enough.. But idk since you basically wrote about two paragraphs... Perhaps 8-12 marks?
Reply 87
Question 1: Three Paragraphs
Question 2: Three Paragraphs
Question 3: Three Paragraphs
Question 4: Five Paragraphs
Question 5: Probably the worst one, but about 7 paragraphs
Question 6: About 6 Paragraphs.
Original post by OCRScience

I doubt 2 Paragraphs are enough at all, as the the mark schemes need clear and apprehensive writing.

I though Q2 was easiest lol. Slimzilla=Godzilla=Image in reader brain.
Monster is used instead of Big to show the shear size then I wrote that usual Jellyfish= Small so if this one was big it was really a juxtaposition and contradictory and would make the reader keep on reading.
Pic= Taken at a certain angle to show stingers? Or whatever they are are, I just wrote stingers, if it was taken from the top then it would make it less scary and a Human that could show us the size compared to a human.
Reply 89
First Question: Thought I did well, 4 big paragraphs and introductory sentence
Second question:Was more difficult but wrote about 2 pages.
Third question: I think this question is similar to our controlled assessment, so I was used to the type of writing and analysing needed,approxiamtely 1 and half pages.
Fourth Question: FAILED IT! I didnt read the question properly, and I was so stupid and analysed Source 1 and 2; even though I did quite a lot of perceptive points and detailed conclusion, does anyone think I will get a few marks???
Fifth Question: Went quite well, hoping this will boost my grade up as I had done many practise questions similar to this and my teacher explained only yesterday, the features of a blog that I needed to include.
Sixth Question: I said to travel, thought it was easier to write about and talked about the physical experience and used a lot of similes when visiting interesting places like the Taj Mahal, Great Wall of China etc and I ended with a cylical structure.

The exam went ok, except for the fourth question which I completely failed as I did the wrong sources but I'm aiming for an A; will I be able to get it?? Or will I have to retake??
Original post by StudentYK2
Third question: I think this question is similar to our controlled assessment, so I was used to the type of writing and analysing needed,approxiamtely 1 and half pages.
Fourth Question: FAILED IT! I didnt read the question properly, and I was so stupid and analysed Source 1 and 2; even though I did quite a lot of perceptive points and detailed conclusion, does anyone think I will get a few marks???
Fifth Question: Went quite well, hoping this will boost my grade up as I had done many practise questions similar to this and my teacher explained only yesterday, the features of a blog that I needed to include.
Sixth Question: I said to travel, thought it was easier to write about and talked about the physical experience and used a lot of similes when visiting interesting places like the Taj Mahal, Great Wall of China etc and I ended with a cylical structure.

The exam went ok, except for the fourth question which I completely failed as I did the wrong sources but I'm aiming for an A; will I be able to get it?? Or will I have to retake??

WOW, you actually never read Q4 properly? No marks for grammar, and you make get a few for comparing the other source, I expected out of the 1000's of people to do this that everyone will at least read the question properly and get the answer wrong. You should ask your teacher, they will be of help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
We were told not to do introductions and conclusions for questions one to four, although it seems on here like a lot of you have.

Q1 - I wrote two pages featuring about ten different quotes. I inferred about four of them, which should have been enough. I found it easy enough.

Q2 - I didn't like this one. From the headline I wrote about the words 'Slimezilla' (which I got confused with King Kong and referred to as being a giant gorilla), 'monster', 'threatens' and 'nuclear', however the first three were all effective in very similar ways. However, the image was alright; I wrote about how the colossal size of the jellyfish suggests the danger and power it could hold, the black surroundings suggests that other 'monsterous' creatures could be lurking in the deep, creating curiosity and apprehension, and the bright colours in the background made the jellyfish stand out (I didn't have time to express this point in enjoy detail). This all covered about three pages.

Q3 - I spent too much of the time on heavy textual analysis in the first couple of paragraphs, covering about too pages. I mentioned the linguist devises a lot, which I probably shouldn't have done, but the simile about the ants showed his emotions very well. I therefore ran out of time for analysing the second half. I also didn't analyse any of the 'obvious' emotions stated in the pieces (such as 'curiously', 'nervously' etc.) which would have probably saved me time.

Q4 - I really ran out of time here. I compared source three with source two and wrote three pages, but it only consisted of five paragraphs (three about source two and two about source three). Hopefully they were in enough detail.

Q5 - I didn't like the question. It was hard to be original, which is what the exam board are keen on us being. I wrote a sterotypical article about the winter and snow, snow, snow. I think I covered about three pages.

Q6 - This went quite well, I think. I enjoyed it, at least. I started by creating visual imagery with a description of trekking through remote mountains in Thailand, using lots of direct address and vocabulary. This covered about half a page, after which I went on to using persuasive techniques such as rhectorical questions, syndetic listing and facts and figures. However, I forgot that the article was supposed to be centred around 'young people' travelling, so I potentially lost some marks there in terms of content. Apart from that, that question was quite good, and I wrote about three and a half pages overall.

Q1: 10! Jesus!

Q2, if you wrote 3 pages, you're sorted. Better than my friend, who wrote that "the blue of the ocean signifies the true power of the jellyfish." :colone:

Q3, Okay. Sounds like you're fine on that. I broke it down into four pieces, alertness, uncertainty, fear, and desperation, with a quote and a bit of explanation for each. Pretty simple, but easy to write.

Q4, That's why you shouldn't go overboard on the 8 markers, because you only need 3 or 4 paragraphs for these! You really need at least 6 points for Q4, but oh well. Everything else sounds like it's in good detail.

Q5, You'll be fine. I wrote about September sunsets, for many reasons, one being you have a licence to sing "Wake me up when September ends," by Green Day. Not only covers my humour side of the blog, but also is banked on the examiner liking teenage rocky bands. But hey.

Q6, Remember for these, don't write it like a list. I started off with a point about how many words we have for laziness in the english language, which I guess covered subtle. Then I had a list of reasons, which I guess covered persuasive/compelling. Sounds like you did well though.

Good luck!
Original post by StudentYK2

Q1: Fine.
Q2: Fine.
Q3: Hmmm. Maybe. I guess it is, but be careful of thinking about it in that way.
Q4: Surely you would know that Q4 is always Source 3 and another source? Always?
Q5: You'll be fine.
Q6: You'll probably be fine.

You might get a low A if you did really well on everything else. It's probably going to be a B though. Maybe a C, possibly, but probably a B.
Reply 93
Original post by Guills on wheels
Q1: Fine.
Q2: Fine.
Q3: Hmmm. Maybe. I guess it is, but be careful of thinking about it in that way.
Q4: Surely you would know that Q4 is always Source 3 and another source? Always?
Q5: You'll be fine.
Q6: You'll probably be fine.

You might get a low A if you did really well on everything else. It's probably going to be a B though. Maybe a C, possibly, but probably a B.

Thanks for the feedback, I dont know why I did Source 1 and 2 and I spent 2 minutes deciding whether to do Source 3 and 1 but did the ones in front of me. Do you think though any marks will be provided, even though its a compare question?
Reply 94
Original post by Xmarksthesh0t
WOW, you actually never read Q4 properly? No marks for grammar, and you make get a few for comparing the other source, I expected out of the 1000's of people to do this that everyone will at least read the question properly and get the answer wrong. You should ask your teacher, they will be of help.

sucks for me, for being confident about question 4 the night before..
Reply 95
Q1: started of doing only half of it then later returning to it, because it took me a while to get into the swing of it, i think i included like 5 quoted and basically said there lifestyles of having careless fashion senses of armoured bows and arrows and stuff, are seen to be rosey but the tribes are actually at great danger due to contact with the outside world or something. i wrote about a page and a half. how may marks do you rekon i will get?

Q2: for headline made link of 'slimezilla' and godzilla, made link of monster and how it stated that it weighed 200kg to make a link. i also wrote how it said threatened divers, which would create questions in the readers minds that only reading on could explain. on top of that i wrote about the ctypographics being bold and catching attention. for picture i wrote about the dark and gloomy colours representing the danger of the creature. also i wrote how it reinforced the word 'monster' used in the headline. also i wrote it gives a visual representation of what the article is about, as well as the obvious it attracts the reader.

Q3: wrote about 2 feelings depression and something else but for thoughts i couldnt find anything apart from at the end when he couldnt decide if he wanted to be dead outside the tent, or wait to be dead inside the tent. think i flopped, wrote about a page....

Q4: worte about different genres, audiences, purposes, tones, linguistic devices, rhetorical devices and vocab used. sound like a lot i know, but im worried if i actually analysed and made inferences as much as i should have. wrote about 2 and a half pages...

Q5: my best question wrote about winter, the snowball fights, the festive feeling, the presents, the family time and christmas dinner! wrote about a page and a half but i was most happy with that one.

Q6: didnt really have as much time as i would have liked to complete this question properly so i wrote about a page and a half about how seeing something and actually witnessing it is different, not enough i dont think, and expecting to lose most of my marks here..

how do you guys reckon i did?
Reply 96
Original post by IRPurple96
Q1: started of doing only half of it then later returning to it, because it took me a while to get into the swing of it, i think i included like 5 quoted and basically said there lifestyles of having careless fashion senses of armoured bows and arrows and stuff, are seen to be rosey but the tribes are actually at great danger due to contact with the outside world or something. i wrote about a page and a half. how may marks do you rekon i will get?

Q2: for headline made link of 'slimezilla' and godzilla, made link of monster and how it stated that it weighed 200kg to make a link. i also wrote how it said threatened divers, which would create questions in the readers minds that only reading on could explain. on top of that i wrote about the ctypographics being bold and catching attention. for picture i wrote about the dark and gloomy colours representing the danger of the creature. also i wrote how it reinforced the word 'monster' used in the headline. also i wrote it gives a visual representation of what the article is about, as well as the obvious it attracts the reader.

Q3: wrote about 2 feelings depression and something else but for thoughts i couldnt find anything apart from at the end when he couldnt decide if he wanted to be dead outside the tent, or wait to be dead inside the tent. think i flopped, wrote about a page....

Q4: worte about different genres, audiences, purposes, tones, linguistic devices, rhetorical devices and vocab used. sound like a lot i know, but im worried if i actually analysed and made inferences as much as i should have. wrote about 2 and a half pages...

Q5: my best question wrote about winter, the snowball fights, the festive feeling, the presents, the family time and christmas dinner! wrote about a page and a half but i was most happy with that one.

Q6: didnt really have as much time as i would have liked to complete this question properly so i wrote about a page and a half about how seeing something and actually witnessing it is different, not enough i dont think, and expecting to lose most of my marks here..

A page and a half for question 5 and 6?! They're the most rewarding questions in terms of marks. It sounds like you didn't manage your time well- no offense. I wrote about 2 pages for all 8 markers, then almost 3 for the question 5 and 6. Btw my writing is small (10 words per line)
That exam was alright i would say. it wasn't the best or the worst.

Q1: it was good but there was not much you could say about the problems.

Q2: i said the confusing word 'Smilizellia' is uncommon, which sounds confusing, grabbing the readers attention. ALso, the word smilizellia sound a name rather than a description, which shows that the the jelly was more human type rather than a animal. this links to the text as we find out that its dangerous and monstrous. etc....talked about the colour of the light blue fading into the darker blue colour. empathizing the deepness of where the jelly fish were found. as the jellyfish background was darker.

Q3: it was alright.. talked about the'click breaking branches' breaking- verb .. alliteration creating the image in the readers head.. 'click'showing feeling of fear...etc

Q4: Went well but spent too long on it. Purpose: describe/inform, Tone: Friendly formal. Audience: caring about the world, online readers/enjoy reading experiences.

Q5: HATED IT! so was confused about what to write about..

Q6: few it wasn't that difficult ...i done travel as you can talk more about it.. like spending time with family, food, sight seeing..etc
Kind of annoyed about Question 6 though you was writing to persuade not to argue. I argued both sides but then at the end hinted that maybe they should try my method with their kids which is kind of persuading.

Can anyone tell me how many marks I would probably get for that?
Original post by IRPurple96

lots of student wrote about Christmas...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending