The Student Room Group

Is it better to go to college or Sixth form?

Hi Guys,
I'm currently in Year 11, doing my GCSE's, and obviously I now have to think about my future and where I want to go on after school.

I know already that wherever I go, I want to study Media, whether it be an A-Level, or a BTEC College course.
I am hoping to go to uni afterwards, and the course for college that i've applied for is the equivilent to three A-levels, so I can still go to university with it.

I was just wondering what people think of college and what people think of Sixth form - or if anyones taken Creative Media Production at college or Media Studies at Sixth Form?

I'm still in two minds about where to go as I've heard mixed reviews on college and mixed reviews on Sixth form!
Reply 1
Depends what you like really; sixth form tends to be a lot freer and more like university in that youre granted far more personal freedoms and can learn more at your own pace, the one i went to was very layed back during lunch and free periods people would just go down to the town and river to chill out and have a bawl. If you prefer something more regimented then 6th form is probably better but it all depends on which ones youre talking about! Cant speak for your subject though as ive never done, sorry.
Reply 2
It really depends on what you want. I've been to both and found the sixth form was like an extension of school. You were given more responsibility and independance than school but were still chased up pretty quickly and repeatedly about missing work or absences, still had to call the teachers 'miss' and 'sir' etc. There was more of a community feel, everyone knew everyone else and there were more year-wide or sixth-form-wide events such as fancy dress days for charity that took place and everyone got involved. It was pretty easy for gossip to spread though.

The college on the other hand gave much more independance. You were still asked about work etc but not 'chased up' in the same way (particularly in second year). There were lots of people you didn't know and it was more seperate friendship groups than one big one (although there were of course still seperate groups of 'close friends' in sixth form). Events still took place but generally only people who knew the people organising it got involved. Gossip still spread but not as much, I think it was because half the time you didn't know the person it was about so there was no point in spreading it.

You may also want to consider whether you want to do it as an A-level, BTEC or another qualification (eg a diploma). For example there's no point choosing the sixth form for the 'community feel' if it only offers Media as an A-level when you want to do just media, as you will be made to take 2-3 other subjects and if that's not what you want then you'll hate your time there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending