The Student Room Group

Speech Language Therapy Work Experience in Hospiitals

Hi all, i'm trying to get work experience in a hospital setting, observing and shadowing a Speech and Language Therapist but i cant seem to find any hospitals that offer this oppurtunity.

The Speech and Therapy Department at my local hospital do not take any people on for work experience and i'v tried every hospital around where i live but still had no luck.

I'm willing to travel to wherever i need to go to get some experience with a therapist, so i was wondering if anyone who was successful in getting some work experience wouldn't mind listing the hospitals/clinics/places that were willing to take on people for work experience.
I am specifically looking for experience in the hospital setiing.

Thanx guys!

Take Care, xx
Reply 1
You could try your local special needs school, because they employ physio's, SLT's etc or check out your local community centre
Reply 2
hi,
how are you doing?Good to find someone like me,have you finally been able to see where to do your work experience?I am also interested in work experience in speech and language therapy and believe me i have been on the search for quite a while.I intend to add it to my application for post graduate degree in SLT.Please let me know if you got a place and where at.cheers
I agree with shoiab even if you don't want to work with children, they'd most likely have a speech langauge therapist there at least some of the time i can't think of anywhere else.. that's a tough one! have you tried the "do-it" volunteer website.. it proably wouldn't be of any use, but you could just check for places at hospitals or spesh. schools
Reply 4
Any work experience with children, the elderly or people with learning difficulties will be recongized in your application.

Is there a stroke club in your area? There might not necessarily be a SLT there, but you will be able to learn about people living with conditions such as aphasia.

Also, some of the bigger hospitals have Speech and Language Therapy days, where you can find out more about the profession, which would be something else to put in your personal statement.

I know how hard it is to get shadowing experience, I wasn't able to find any before I started my degree. Good luck! :smile:
bilqis
hi,
how are you doing?Good to find someone like me,have you finally been able to see where to do your work experience?I am also interested in work experience in speech and language therapy and believe me i have been on the search for quite a while.I intend to add it to my application for post graduate degree in SLT.Please let me know if you got a place and where at.cheers

I agree with the above poster, any experience in the general client areas is a good idea.
Personally, I volunteered at Brownies- obviously this was just working with children in general but it's easy to do.
I did a few days work experience at a school for children with special educational needs- this is a big client group so this was something I talked about a lot in my interviews. I also helped out at a holiday club for disabled children.
Hospital wise, I contacted all my local hospitals and managed to go on a visit day. Basically there were 4/5 of us and 2 SLTs talked us through the career and gave us a chance to ask questions- it was really informative plus it showed I was proactive.
I think all the unis realise, actually shadowing an SLT is very difficult but they appreciate any relevant experience you can get!

Latest