The Student Room Group

Prank calls? The Internet is far far worse.

Not belittling the death of a person for a moment but if we held Internet posts as responsible for bullying as we do prank calls, the online experience might be a bit more pleasant. How many suicides go unnoticed from online bullying? I supposewith no royals involved few will care.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jetboy
Not belittling the death of a person for a moment but if we held Internet posts as responsible for bullying as we do prank calls, the online experience might be a bit more pleasant. How many suicides go unnoticed from online bullying? I supposewith no royals involved few will care.

but how do you propose to 'police' the internet?
Oh noes I've been prank called.

Better commit suicide. (Great logic)
Reply 3
I don't think you should police The Internet as a whole but as far as bullying is concerned, if we can prosecute racists tweeters and the like, why can't we do the same for bullies. It isn't easy but it doesn't mean more effort can't be made.

Having said that, I do think it is the responsibility of Internet users, not just the offenders but even on here when I look at some posts that are plain abusive. We all seem too tolerant to the toxic atmosphere in general.
Reply 4
Hang on, let me find the article i read last week, it makes the point better than I can.....
Original post by Jetboy
I don't think you should police The Internet as a whole but as far as bullying is concerned, if we can prosecute racists tweeters and the like, why can't we do the same for bullies. It isn't easy but it doesn't mean more effort can't be made.

Having said that, I do think it is the responsibility of Internet users, not just the offenders but even on here when I look at some posts that are plain abusive. We all seem too tolerant to the toxic atmosphere in general.

I agree in principle that bullying should be stopped, but how do you define 'bullying'? Racism and sexism is quite clear and easy to identify, but what is 'bullying'? A quick search on google for instance brings up this definition;

Use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

- So judging by this definition, did Margaret not bully trade unions?
- Is the US bullying other countries?
- Are corporations bullying the government?
- Is my boss not bullying me every day of the week?

A better question to ask, and solution would be to find out why people discriminate against others and lack respect for other people on the first place. Sadly, people don't try to understand others though and prefer to marginalise and punish those who are different.
Hey look I'm being bullied online... Block

Well that was might difficult
Reply 8
I am talking of the extreme side of bullying of course but that is only in relation to legislation. In terms of people just being ****s, that shouldn't be policed but should be damned.
Oh yeah let's waste billions of pounds creating a huge internet policing service, in order to restrict people's free speech online!!

That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard.
The thing with censoring the internet is, where do we draw the line? I'd say fair enough if someone posted abusive tweets to a person's facebook wall or something, but now you keep hearing people getting arrested for posting pictures of burning poppies or saying they're against gay marriage, which is just ridiculous. I'm against their viewpoints, but they should be allowed to state them. So really, if we do start to censor the internet more, we need to remember there is a fine line between protection and infringing on the right to free speech.
Internet is worse.

Currently being targeted after posting a complaint for drunk switching power off on halls group on fb. Girls I never even spoke to before started slating me and being abusive.

Reported it to my halls. So they now post on my wall and delete it through a friend they know and I know. 'Lovely' comments they post.

Decided to delete them and not get bothered about girls I don't even know, but shudder to think what's next on list.
So, if you're sensitive, be careful where you go on the internet.

The suicides weren't in any way the fault of the aussie DJs. They couldn't have foreseen that someone would kill themselves over a ridiculous prank call that they didn't even expect would get anywhere.
Original post by natureartpeace

Employ more trained moderators?
Original post by natureartpeace

you cant really police the internet as it is not a landmass it does not come under anyone's jurisdiction any lawyer worth his salt could easilyt win any case brought against someone for online bullying just by stating are government doesn't have legality over the situation

on top of that it would then be a violation of freedom of speech but thats a completely different matter
The internet is a brutal, dangerous and cowardice place. If you're a sensitive person, don't subject yourself to bullies or avoid excessive amounts of time on the internet.

Spoiler

Reply 16
The Internet is already policed but as I said, it shouldn't be for simple matters of opinion, it isn't that complicated to differentiate between offensive opinion and abuse.

Freedom of speech is the most importnt thing however, I just thought making the point that the abusive nature of Internet debate is a big problem and with the current lynch mob being formed by some for a prank call, it seemed an apt time to mention it.

Judging by the response of one person here, we have a long way to go before simple manners are employed.
Reply 17
Original post by Jetboy

Original post by Jetboy
The Internet is already policed but as I said, it shouldn't be for simple matters of opinion, it isn't that complicated to differentiate between offensive opinion and abuse.

Freedom of speech is the most importnt thing however, I just thought making the point that the abusive nature of Internet debate is a big problem and with the current lynch mob being formed by some for a prank call, it seemed an apt time to mention it.

Judging by the response of one person here, we have a long way to go before simple manners are employed.

I don't get it. You say you're in favour of FS but when it comes to politeness you seem to think there should be a strict set of guidlines, evidential in your analogy of racist tweets.
Reply 18
I never mentioned policing bad manners, the original point was to shine the light pointed at a pretty tame prank call and shine it on Internet behaviour, that was all. It should be culturally unacceptable as it would be to be spiteful and shrill face to face.

In terms of policing abuse, I think it is something that will reach a head at some point soon, the toxic air surrounding anything online has severe consequences, i never claimed to have the answers to this.
Reply 19
Just to clear it up, it's personal abuse I am talking of when it comes to policing, of course it's not a black and white subject but a casual racist comment is not the same as one directed at an individual, that's the difference I'm making. i don't pretend to have all the answers or that my opinion is an exact barometer but as a starting point for debate. That article pretty much states my opinion.

http://neuroticsanonymous.wordpress....ienate-people/

Charlie Brooker wrote a good one recently too in The Guardian and there was a quality article in The Huffington Post by Dori Hartely which touched upon the problems aswell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending