The Student Room Group

2011 Census England and Wales: White British Population Down To 80% From 87% In 2001

The 2011 census is out and its revealing some very interesting statistics:

England and Wales:

(White Only) - 86.0% down from 91.3% in 2001

White British - 80% down from 87% in 2001

White British in London - 45% down from 58% 2011, i.e. for the first time a minority.

Personally I think these statistics are good, a diverse Britain can only be a healthier Britain and we all should be celebrating this direction of change. Labour's immigration policy has now left a legacy!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20677515

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/index.html
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It depends how you view these things. If you view anyone who is not white as not British, and hold the view that only white British people hold British values then yes its a disaster. It also pretty much the definition of racist, but thats a separate point.

I don't know what conclusion you can draw. We celebrate when the likes of Mo Farah and Jess Ennis win us medals, but they are the exact people that contribute to these statistics. Then again, the percentage of white Brits has fallen as white Brits have fallen there are 400,000 less of them than in 2001. Whether that is anything to do with the rise in mixed race people or just lower birth rates I don't know.

Census just tells us demographics and trends in those statistics, to really draw conclusions about our countries morals and values we would need to add some questions.

Atheism is on the rise now though 25% nationwide. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Anyone who has seen threads by the OP in the past would know he's a racist, nothing to see here.
Reply 3
Interesting census. I'm surprised at the huge drop in the % of Christians (72-59), although living in London, I can't say I'm surprised or bothered by the drop in the white British proportion of the population.
Reply 4
Nothing short of a disaster, well done labour! Still reaping the effects from their disastrous turn in power
Why are we letting these people in still when our unemployment is so high?
Reply 6
This is not about race / religion / where you come from, I couldn't give a damn about that.

The fact of the matter is that there are way too many people for this island. To put this in a global perspective, the population of the developed countries should decrease, as there is no longer any need to have children. Overpopulation is the root cause of almost all the problems with the world that we are experiencing today, and only encouraging growth to keep alive the economy, and to ensure the fact that we can have cheap labour available is only going to make a more miserable life overall for the rest of us. The ultimate aim of humanity is to reduce its population to around 2-3 billion, and to all live happy, sustainable lives upon the Earth is it not? To challenge to explore, to discover the mysteries of the universe using science was what I thought the ultimate aim of the game was. Not to increase population to ensure that we will always be able to "compete" in this race against countries with populations 20x the size of ours. It's absurd.

People say we should be trying to beat India and China and its hard to not roll over from dying of laughter. Why would anyone want to make things in a country where the salary is so high? We need education, technology, engineering and science more than building Kia's new car. Increasing population is only making it easier for the rest of us to get cheap labour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fK0rXRmC4DQ#!

CLEVER PEOPLE: Stop labelling people as racists, don't stoop down to their level, because you are missing the point. We should not be growing in population, but rather shrinking.

RACISTS: stfu
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Wonder whether the idiots will stop complaining about how the BBC never reports on the country's ethnic demographics now :rolleyes:

Not that it matters, they'll be too busy insisting the changes themselves are a sign the apocalypse is coming to admit they were wrong about that. They will cry about how the country is being taken over by Muslims, despite the fact the force that's really taking over the country is called "no religious affiliation" - now representing an extra 14.8% of the population that identified as religious before (can't say I mind). Muslims, by comparison, represent another 1.8% of the population compared to ten years ago. It's not really that big of a leap at all.

You know what, I really don't care how many ethnic minorities there are as long as they are decent members of society. Unfortunately the right will be having a tantrum about this **** for years to come.
Reply 8
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index

HDI is a composite statistic used to rank countries by level of human development / standards of living / quality of life. It is done by the UN on a annual basis.

UK POSITION:

2007: 17th
2008: 21st
2009: 21st
2010: 26th
2011: 28th

That's the wrong bloody way. Immigration doesn't help this figure rise. Immigration from Norway doesn't, and immigration from Asia doesn't help, unless its an educated workforce.
Immigration would be fine if the national infrastructure could cope i.e. housing, hospital waiting lists, number of patients per GP, access to schools.

Not to mention the greater number of cars on the road, more strain on the national grid, water supplies, public transport.

There should be no more (or at least heavily restricted) immigration until the country can cope with those already here, let alone more.
It's strange because the number of people going to church has rocketed in the past ten years and the number of people going forne occasional service has went through the roof in the past ten years. Something like a 5% rise each year from 2001.
I really don't see why it matters in the slightest.
Reply 12
Original post by acedlol
The ultimate aim of humanity is to reduce its population to around 2-3 billion, and to all live happy, sustainable lives upon the Earth is it not? To challenge to explore, to discover the mysteries of the universe using science was what I thought the ultimate aim of the game was.

Wait, what? Since when does humanity have an "ultimate aim"? Humanity just is.

Agreed that we shouldn't be trying to compete with India and China though, we should be encouraging them to be more like us and look after their workforce.
Reply 13
Original post by Redolent
Wait, what? Since when does humanity have an "ultimate aim"? Humanity just is.

Agreed that we shouldn't be trying to compete with India and China though, we should be encouraging them to be more like us and look after their workforce.

I guess. But don't we have a moral duty to ensure that our children's children can live on a planet free from massive populations fighting over natural resources? They should be able to live on a planet where there might be some natural resources left in the ground. We have to think long-term. This planet will be here for millions of years, and perhaps we might be also. We will be using up almost all the coal thats accessible in the next 200 years, the same goes for gas, and oil is gone in fifty. Generations down the line they will wonder what was so special about this liquid, and why we almost brought about the destruction of eco-systems across the globe.

I'd like to think that we weren't greedy creatures that only focused about our own lives, but our children's too. Thats why I have some sort of aim or goal to go for, as living in this utopia would be quite something, and the sooner we bring it about the better.

:>
Reply 14
Wake up, white man.
Ohhhh brown sugar, how come you taste so good?
Reply 16
Close the damn borders to these hoards of unskilled workers and deport those already here.
I like chicken. Simple as that.
Reply 18
Original post by Sharpshooter

White British in London - 45% down from 58% 2011, i.e. for the first time a minority.

If a ethnicity accounts for less than 50% of the population, that does not automatically make it a minority. For a demographic to be in the minority they need to be in the 'minority' i.e., be of a far greater number than other population groups. This is clearly not the case as no other group accounts for far greater than 45% of the population. In addition to this, the representative MPs for London are overwhelmingly White British, clearly showing that the White British population is not a 'minority'.

Original post by acedlol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index
UK POSITION:
2007: 17th
2008: 21st
2009: 21st
2010: 26th
2011: 28th

That's the wrong bloody way. Immigration doesn't help this figure rise. Immigration from Norway doesn't, and immigration from Asia doesn't help, unless its an educated workforce.

This is a "correlation proves causation" fallacy. You can't say X increased and Y decreased, therefore more X will cause Y to decrease further. To prove this, take the case of Germany. 12% of Germany's population is foreign born (0.7% greater than the UK) yet it is ranked 8th in the global HDI rankings.
Reply 19
Original post by acedlol
I guess. But don't we have a moral duty to ensure that our children's children can live on a planet free from massive populations fighting over natural resources? They should be able to live on a planet where there might be some natural resources left in the ground. We have to think long-term. This planet will be here for millions of years, and perhaps we might be also. We will be using up almost all the coal thats accessible in the next 200 years, the same goes for gas, and oil is gone in fifty. Generations down the line they will wonder what was so special about this liquid, and why we almost brought about the destruction of eco-systems across the globe.

I'd like to think that we weren't greedy creatures that only focused about our own lives, but our children's too. Thats why I have some sort of aim or goal to go for, as living in this utopia would be quite something, and the sooner we bring it about the better.

:>

Agreed, but I think any discussions of this nature are better off concerning the world as a whole as opposed to just the UK. I also think a real utopia would be as much about artistic exploration as it would be about scientific exploration, and that fundamentally the human race's only "aim" is to live happy fulfilling lives and scientific exploration is only one way of reaching that end.

With efficient renewable technology I reckon we could support more than 3 billion quite easily as well, but the transition to such a stage is going to be covered in political obstacles unfortunately. But yes in essence I agree with what you're saying.

Quick Reply

Latest