The Student Room Group

Getting to & from uni

I'll be starting Uni next year. My family is pretty crap at most things, so I assume I'll be making my own way there and back each term.

But do most students do this? Or do most have parents to drive them up and down at the start and end of each term? Don't know why, but I'd really like to know!:confused:
Reply 1
Original post by scattergraph
I'll be starting Uni next year. My family is pretty crap at most things, so I assume I'll be making my own way there and back each term.

But do most students do this? Or do most have parents to drive them up and down at the start and end of each term? Don't know why, but I'd really like to know!:confused:

Of course not.

The majority use their parents cars to transit their stuff to uni!
Reply 2
My mom drove me up at the start of the term, my oh is driving me back home in a few days time, and then I'll get a lift from one of them up in January again. Most people do that; the only people I know of who brought themselves and all their stuff up here was the international students.
Out of the people I know it's more common for people to make their own way home, unless it's the end of the year so their parents have come to pick up all their belongings by car (if they are moving into a new house the next term).
Reply 4
My mum takes me at the start and end of each year, but between terms I get the train.
Many people take a ludicrous amount of 'stuff' to Uni - hence needing the parents car.

Its quite possible to go to Uni without all the 'stuff' - or the car.

Companies like DHL and other carriers will shift suitcases and/or boxes to Uni addresses, and then you can just make your way there by train with minimal luggage. Easy-peasy.
I have too much stuff to start transporting it by myself, so my parents come up at the beginning & end of each academic year to help me move. However, when I go back for the holidays, I just take the train and get picked up at the station.
I make my own way up and down from uni because my mum doesn't drive, plus I have to do this 6 times a year because we have to remove all our stuff from our room each holiday. It's doable, I prefer to use the coach because then I don't need to drag my suitcases around myself and finding luggage space on the train is a hassle, although it's probably easier for me because I don't need to take a quilt/pillow as my uni provides them and I'm able to leave any kitchen stuff/cutlery at uni :tongue:
Reply 8
My parents took me up to uni at the start of the year, obviously to have a nosey and generally help me get everything up here. Went home in the first week of November, got the train home and back. Carried minimal baggage because trains are a nightmare as it is. End of year wise, not sure if i'm dragging everything back home, or putting it straight into the new place me and a flatmate are renting. Just depends on when the contract starts in comparison to when our halls contract ends.
Reply 9
lol I'm not even in uni yet and I'm already driving
Reply 10
I had no choice in whether my parents came with at the start of semester :tongue: but having moved in I'm going back & forth alone. No doubt they'll have to drive up with more of my crap when I move again though.
My dad picks me up and drives me to/from uni at the start and end of each term, saves me the hassle of having to get on a train + tube + bus with a suitcase, saves me the train fare and its just nicer being picked up. If I want to go home during term time I get the train though but I only take my handbag.
Original post by gijops
lol I'm not even in uni yet and I'm already driving

You realise this is true for most people?

Quick Reply

Latest