The Student Room Group

Best degree ??

which degree would give me the greatest chance of earning a 6 figure salary? I would love to go into the engineering world but not sure in what discipline/sectors oil my preferred pathway.
Realistically does chem eng degree give high grad salaries, if I choose to go to a scottish uni, will this improve my chances of becoming a drilling engineer if i went to a uni in london for example

Also what does the work of drilling engineer involve? I've read abit into this profession. What happens if you cant swim, is it still possible to still be a drilling engineer.

My dream jobs, drilling engineer, reservior engineer etc in this sectors

Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Software Engineering
msc physics
maths
geology
geophysics
etccc
Reply 1
Original post by soupastar
which degree would give me the greatest chance of earning a 6 figure salary? I would love to go into the engineering world but not sure in what discipline/sectors oil my preferred pathway.
Realistically does chem eng degree give high grad salaries, if I choose to go to a scottish uni, will this improve my chances of becoming a drilling engineer if i went to a uni in london for example

Also what does the work of drilling engineer involve? I've read abit into this profession. What happens if you cant swim, is it still possible to still be a drilling engineer.

Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Software Engineering
msc physics
maths
geology
geophysics
etccc

just go for what you enjoy...you will be paid good salary either way if you make it(better than average) so don't look at money. For your interests you mentioned i would say Mechanical is the best option for you

Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Software Engineering
msc physics
maths
geology
geophysics
etccc

If you're interested in drilling then mechanical is the way to go - I was offered a graduate drilling engineer job with my mechanical degree and a lot of drilling companies only recruit from mechanical backgrounds.

In my experience you're also a lot more likely to get a graduate drilling job if you go to university in Scotland, but it's mainly certainly universities that have good links with the oil industry so it's not as simple as Scottish universities vs non-Scottish universities.
Reply 3
i know all engineering degrees are hard but which one would you say is less demanding ?

Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Software Engineering
msc physics
maths
geology
geophysics
etccc

My friend is a reservoir engineer at BP and he holds a mechanical engineering degree.

I am a miner :biggrin:
My mentor, who is a mechanical engineer, earns £130k+. Although, he moved to an asset management position from a purely technical role.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending