The Student Room Group

AQA Geog3 - JAN 2013

Can't be too many people actually sitting this exam. I read in the examiners report last year that roughly only 300 people sat this exam in January, so it's probably 100% retake students if I'm not mistaken. I'm retaking and need 105/120 for my *.

Thought it would be good to just have a thread to ask questions / keep everything in one place for anyone that wants help :3

+ If anyone taking the exam in June 2013 would like to know anything, just ask here as it probably helps with my revision.

I'm doing Plate Tectonics / Weather / Development.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

what did you get before? as 105 could be tough as January can be tougher than June.

You'd be surprised at the number of centres who start unit 3 straight after AS exams and do it in January, think there's about 140 ish and that's about a dozen centre, they are the smaller sixth forms.
Reply 2
Original post by clareramos
what did you get before? as 105 could be tough as January can be tougher than June.

You'd be surprised at the number of centres who start unit 3 straight after AS exams and do it in January, think there's about 140 ish and that's about a dozen centre, they are the smaller sixth forms.

75/80 = 4A
85ish/120 = GEOG3

I need 105 for my *, but because of my shabby AS results, I need 102/103 for my A, so really I'm going for broke ^^. Its roughly 12-15 more raw marks overall, which is a sizeable hurdle to jump.

Considering I got 21 on the essay, I think I have some room for improvement at least. What really I think let me down was my handwriting, and my lack of preparation the week before the exam. I predicted most of the questions that would come up, but the way I answered them was bizarre.

I was concerned about that they might make the exam harder as a warning for the June students, with all the talk about making exams harder which is definitely frightening. I really don't want to do any emergency exams in June to try and get into university. I just want to clean-sweep the lot (I'm doing 3).

I'm focusing more on the style that is needed for each 7/8/10 markers, which reference to whatever words they choose (explain, compare, evaluate etc) which I didn't really do before. As soon as I have the content in my head, I'll start practicing my essays because I think that's where the battle is won or lost ^^.
I would say it'll be tough to get those extra marks to what you won't, personally if I was your teacher I wouldn't of said resit.
Anyone got any ideas which topic could come up for plate tectonics, weather and climate and world cities?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/S
Reply 5
what was the essay question for tectonics for this paper?

Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme, or just remember some of the questions?

It didn't go well, reckon will have to retake and wanna see where i went wrong!
Reply 6
My teacher has asked us to know lots of general knowledge about our case-studies so that we can relate everything in the 40 markers. Does anyone have the unit 3 paper for jan 2013, or know what topics came up mainly. Thanks.
Reply 7
Original post by grimly

Original post by millz186

Okay, I took this exam, and I'll try to remember everything. I pretty much predicted everything that would come up, so I'll be willing to do the same for you guys this time round.

ESSAYS

Weather : UHI, (VERY similar to the previous UHI one)
Plate Tectonics : (something along these lines) "Not all earthquake disasters are natural disasters, but are human disasters instead" - Geography Student. To what extent do you agree with this statement. (I literally predicted this to the word, and hopefully nailed it ;D)

That's all I can remember.

QUESTIONS

The 7 markers were REALLY weird, totally like nothing you've ever seen on any other past paper, and the weather one was terribly worded.

WEATHER

7) Gave a long paragraph about Cyclone Nargis, (bit like a news report), and gave you a downright retarded task to explain what aid agencies have possibly done? It was totally bull****.

8) Explain the formation of a tropical revolving storm (nice n easy)

10) Explain how climate change will affect monsoons/savannah (whatever place you've learnt)

DEVELOPMENT

7) Gave a diagram of fertility rates in LDCs, + another diagram (can't remember), just asked you to analyse what you saw. Quite nice.

8) Outline the ways that aid can be distributed / ? , whatever it was, it was a beautiful question which I also nailed.

10) Evaluate globalisation. LOL, could have wrote pages and pages and pages

As to the Plate Tectonic questions, I can't really remember, I've been trying but its not coming to me.

If anyone gets a hold of this paper, please PM me as I have prediction sheets and seeing as I'm bored out of my mind, and I've done this exam twice now I'll help you pass etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by acedlol
Okay, I took this exam, and I'll try to remember everything. I pretty much predicted everything that would come up, so I'll be willing to do the same for you guys this time round.

ESSAYS

Plate Tectonics : (something along these lines) "Not all earthquake disasters are natural disasters, but are human disasters instead" - Geography Student. To what extent do you agree with this statement. (I literally predicted this to the word, and hopefully nailed it ;D)

QUESTIONS

The 7 markers were REALLY weird, totally like nothing you've ever seen on any other past paper, and the weather one was terribly worded.

WEATHER

7) Gave a long paragraph about Cyclone Nargis, (bit like a news report), and gave you a downright retarded task to explain what aid agencies have possibly done? It was totally bull****.

10) Explain how climate change will affect monsoons/savannah (whatever place you've learnt)

DEVELOPMENT

7) Gave a diagram of fertility rates in LDCs, + another diagram (can't remember), just asked you to analyse what you saw. Quite nice.

8) Outline the ways that aid can be distributed / ? , whatever it was, it was a beautiful question which I also nailed.

As to the Plate Tectonic questions, I can't really remember, I've been trying but its not coming to me.

If anyone gets a hold of this paper, please PM me as I have prediction sheets and seeing as I'm bored out of my mind, and I've done this exam twice now I'll help you pass etc.

Thanks a lot, i only really understood the development side since we are still learning the weather&climate topic. I would also appreciate the paper if anyone has it. Can you explain what you mean in the 40 marker for plate tectonics, i don't understand how earthquakes are human disaster but not natural one's? maybe it's the wording but i'm not sure on that one.

If you do remember any question on plate tectonics please pm me, that's the worst bit for me, too many technical things to remember.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by grimly
Thanks a lot, i only really understood the development side since we are still learning the weather&climate topic. I would also appreciate the paper if anyone has it. Can you explain what you mean in the 40 marker for plate tectonics, i don't understand how earthquakes are human disaster but not natural one's? maybe it's the wording but i'm not sure on that one.

If you do remember any question on plate tectonics please pm me, that's the worst bit for me, too many technical things to remember.

Human disasters = famine / war / diseases

Natural Disasters = Flooding / Landslides / Tsunamis etc

Natural disasters cause human disasters.

But human disasters worsen the impact of natural disasters.

For example Haiti, a 7.0 magnitude earthquake killed 316,000 people, whilst Japan pretty much get these every year, with magnitude 9.0 earthquakes (100x more powerful), and in 2011 only 20,000 people died. However most of those were due to a tsunami, not an earthquake. Japan has many many defences against earthquakes (resistant buildings) and has 40% of its coastline covered by 10m high seawalls, but you can't exactly stop 40m high waters from wrecking towns can you?

So overall we can say that human development / capacity to cope / preparedness and planning will help mitigate the effects of natural disasters, however physical factors like frequency, time of day, weather conditions, nature of the event etc all have a part to play. If the tsunami hit at night, many more people would have died etc.

Thats basically an essay outline.

There is lots to talk about.

I'll try to remember those PT qs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Thanks very much, you wouldn't by chance know anything about the june 2012 paper for unit 3? (paper/markscheme would be nice). :colondollar:
Original post by acedlol

ESSAYS

QUESTIONS

WEATHER

DEVELOPMENT

Do you remember the World Cities and Globalisation 40 Markers and what they were about? Also the Plate Tectonics short answer questions?
Reply 12
Original post by grimly
Thanks very much, you wouldn't by chance know anything about the june 2012 paper for unit 3? (paper/markscheme would be nice). :colondollar:

I remember vaguely:

PT Questions:

Volcano distribution, types of volcanoes etc.

Weather Questions:

7) Gave a picture of a hot air balloon in anti-cyclonic conditions. You were asked to use the picture to explain why it was anti-cyclonic conditions (clear skies etc)

8) Explain the formation of depressions?

10) Storm events questions (1987 great storm), I think with a focus on management?

Development Questions:

7) Showed the oil sands in Canada, with some factory. Asked to explain the advantages / disadvantages of setting up industry here? Something like that.

8) Advantages / Disadvantages of something

10) Environmental Sustainability vs Economic Sustainability with case studies

-------------

Weather Essay:

Explain the role of the ITCZ in tropical anticyclones (monsoons etc)

PT Essay:

With reference to volcanic / earthquake distribution and frequency explain how valid the theory of PT is.

----------------

As I said, those are very vague, but the questions are roughly along those lines.
Reply 13
Does anyone have an exemplar answer or guide on a plate tectonics 40 marker.
Specifically for this question... ' Evaluate how plate tectonics theory helps our understanding of the distribution of seismic events and volcanic events'.

I know i must explain the PT theory first then link in how most events occur along the boundaries. Then talk about the types of margins (destructive/conservative), then mention case-studies at different margins and the types of volcanoes/hazards.
Should i also mention anything like hotspots in the middle of plates?
Not very sure on a structure or exactly what to include seeing as i have a short time to write and my writing speed is quite slow.
Reply 14
120/120 YES

I'm so good at this exam. I'm gonna make a "How to pass Geography" guide for everyone.

If anyone can give me the question paper, mark scheme, and especially the examiners report for either June 2012, and Jan 2013, I will be grateful.
Original post by acedlol
120/120 YES

I'm so good at this exam. I'm gonna make a "How to pass Geography" guide for everyone.

If anyone can give me the question paper, mark scheme, and especially the examiners report for either June 2012, and Jan 2013, I will be grateful.

well done, but doesn't mean you got top marks, just that you hit the ceiling for the top UMS.
Reply 16
Original post by clareramos
well done, but doesn't mean you got top marks, just that you hit the ceiling for the top UMS.

I know, I think I'm going to get my script back just to see what mark I got. I think it must have been my essay that bumped me up, as those 7 markers of mine were total car wrecks. Was it only me who thought the weather 7 marker was really badly worded? I just didn't have a clue what the question was asking me to do.
Original post by acedlol
I know, I think I'm going to get my script back just to see what mark I got. I think it must have been my essay that bumped me up, as those 7 markers of mine were total car wrecks. Was it only me who thought the weather 7 marker was really badly worded? I just didn't have a clue what the question was asking me to do.

wording will often be technical for a reason. Don't know the question, but weather you have to know the technical stuff a lot to get good marks in it.
Reply 18
Does anyone have the World Cities short Questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending