The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hiya,
The competition varies between schools, London has more places but then a lot of people apply there! I looked a while ago and the applicants per place ratio varies between 7 and 20 per place. I think it was highest for the scottish Unis but it varies year on year (people think 'oh god everyone applies to ....' and applies somewhere else so the competition shifts!)
This year I know Nottingham had 9 applicants per place and stupidly I applied thinking cos it was new there wouldn't be much competition!
I only know the statistics for the college I applied to at Cambridge (20 interview candidates for 2 places, don't think many people were rejected without interview) but the competition varies between colleges, and of course there's 'open' applicants.
Applications are declining slightly and the vet schools are offering more places than they used to but entrance requirements get higher and higher as the standard of applicant (amount of work experience, extra curricular activities, A/A* grades) rises.
Overall I think the amount of places is about half the number of applicants, but a lot of people are put of from applying by the high competition and entry requirements.

I reckon Law at the top Law schools is probably more competitive but then there are more law schools so the ones lower down the tables are probably not as competitive as vet school. However I think you guys have to compete more fiercely for jobs at the end of it!
Reply 2
Lucyvet2006
Hiya,
The competition varies between schools, London has more places but then a lot of people apply there! I looked a while ago and the applicants per place ratio varies between 7 and 20 per place. I think it was highest for the scottish Unis but it varies year on year (people think 'oh god everyone applies to ....' and applies somewhere else so the competition shifts!)
This year I know Nottingham had 9 applicants per place and stupidly I applied thinking cos it was new there wouldn't be much competition!
I only know the statistics for the college I applied to at Cambridge (20 interview candidates for 2 places, don't think many people were rejected without interview) but the competition varies between colleges, and of course there's 'open' applicants.
Applications are declining slightly and the vet schools are offering more places than they used to but entrance requirements get higher and higher as the standard of applicant (amount of work experience, extra curricular activities, A/A* grades) rises.
Overall I think the amount of places is about half the number of applicants, but a lot of people are put of from applying by the high competition and entry requirements.

I reckon Law at the top Law schools is probably more competitive but then there are more law schools so the ones lower down the tables are probably not as competitive as vet school. However I think you guys have to compete more fiercely for jobs at the end of it!

Thanks for that. :smile:

Erm well job wise Law is competitive, probs more than vet. But then again, the statistics are skewed because evrywhere does Law right from Oxbridge to Thames Valley Uni. So people from the top 10-20 unis will find it easier to get jobs than the people from the rest if its looked at in a broad sense but most people from the top unis all go for the big city firms so in effect you've got a jobs market within a jobs market, which is mega competitive. In the end you've got relatively few lawyers going for ridiculously few places.

But what kind of demand is there for vets?
Reply 3
At the minute I think the demand matches the output from the Vet Schools, or slightly exceeds it. There are still alot of foreign vets being employed in the UK, so there must be a lack of British graduates.
Although having said this, with the introduction of Nottingham things could very well change, only time will tell.
Reply 4
Just to add that you can only apply to 4 Vet schools, but you can apply for 6 places at law school, so you improve your odds that way.
Reply 5
Every1 knows VetMed is hardest course to get into...nothing more needs said :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending