The Student Room Group

What are these universities like?

Brunel
Kent
Reading
University of West England Bristol

I'm already at university but don't feel like my course is challenging enough, I want to go to a slightly more prestigious university. What are these like? In terms of reputation, atmosphere etc..? My grades were AAB at A level so are they suitable for these kinds of universities? Any to suggest?

Reply 1
Original post by nicoleclaire
Brunel
Kent
Reading
University of West England Bristol

I'm already at university but don't feel like my course is challenging enough, I want to go to a slightly more prestigious university. What are these like? In terms of reputation, atmosphere etc..? My grades were AAB at A level so are they suitable for these kinds of universities? Any to suggest?

Depending upon the subject you can probably get into a more 'prestigious' uni than those with AAB. What is it you want to study?
Reply 2
Original post by roh
Depending upon the subject you can probably get into a more 'prestigious' uni than those with AAB. What is it you want to study?

I want to do English, or perhaps English and History. Problem is I had the B in English :frown:
Reply 3
I want to do English, or perhaps English and History. Problem is I had the B in English :frown:

Oh right, I was thinking AAB's more Manchester/Birmingham level. It might be worth emiling those departments you're interested in at Russell Group sort of unis which offer AAB asking whether they would consider you.
honestly.. english isnt one of brunels strong points at all..

wouldnt come here to study english - alot of better unis for that specific course..
Reply 5
really? I thought Brunel was actually alright for English. Thanks for the advice though.
"but don't feel like my course is challenging enough"

What grades are you getting?
Reply 7
AAB is good, you must aim higher don't undersell yourself but try avoid Manc/ Bham .
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
"but don't feel like my course is challenging enough"

What grades are you getting?

Original post by Zenomorph
AAB is good, you must aim higher don't undersell yourself but try avoid Manc/ Bham .

I've gotten a 2:1 in my first assignment, I know that's not great, especially as I've said i don't find the course challenging haha but It was my first essay of the year so I didn't expect it to be that great. I got a B in English A level though so that really makes a difference on what kind of uni's I can apply to. My dream uni is Leeds. I loved it so much when I visited, everything falls short in comparison though, but I need 3 A's.
So you've only had one marked assignment all term?

Which University are you at?
Reply 10
So you've only had one marked assignment all term?

Which University are you at?

Yes, I've done 4 but only 1 has been marked at the moment. UWE Bristol
I suggest you go and talk to your Personal tutor or individual course tutors before you assume anything about the academic 'quality' of the UWE course. You have not had any formal feedback on the majority of your assignments written in the first term. Therefore you dont have a clear idea of whether you are working at the expected level or not.

At Uni you are expected to do vastly more than just assignments and to do this 'extra' work mostly on your own, without any obvious push from tutors. Ultimately its up to you what you 'get out of' Uni' and depends on the amount of work you put in. No Uni is going to 'spoon feed' you in the way A level teachers do, and tell you what to do all the time. Many new Uni students dont grasp his big difference and stand about expecting to be told exactly what they should be doing/reading at every moment. Uni work *isnt* like this. And no University ('prestigious' or otherwise) is going to make it easy for you or give you fancy short-cuts to actually *doing the work*.

So, over Christmas and in the first weeks of next term you need to be reading *everything* on the reading list, following up references in those texts, reading all the current journal articles you can on any subject that interests you. Find some thesis written by PhD and Masters students in your Dept recently (Library catalogue) and *read them* cover to cover. Challenging enough?

On the other hand, if this sounds too much like hard work and you cant be bothered to put in this amount of time/work, then you have to ask yourself why you are at University at all?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I suggest you go and talk to your Personal tutor or individual course tutors before you assume anything about the academic 'quality' of the UWE course. You have not had any formal feedback on the majority of your assignments written in the first term. Therefore you dont have a clear idea of whether you are working at the expected level or not.

At Uni you are expected to do vastly more than just assignments and to do this 'extra' work mostly on your own, without any obvious push from tutors. Ultimately its up to you what you 'get out of' Uni' and depends on the amount of work you put in. No Uni is going to 'spoon feed' you in the way A level teachers do, and tell you what to do all the time. Many new Uni students dont grasp his big difference and stand about expecting to be told exactly what they should be doing/reading at every moment. Uni work *isnt* like this. And no University ('prestigious' or otherwise) is going to make it easy for you or give you fancy short-cuts to actually *doing the work*.

So, over Christmas and in the first weeks of next term you need to be reading *everything* on the reading list, following up references in those texts, reading all the current journal articles you can on any subject that interests you. Find some thesis written by PhD and Masters students in your Dept recently (Library catalogue) and *read them* cover to cover. Challenging enough?

On the other hand, if this sounds too much like hard work and you cant be bothered to put in this amount of time/work, then you have to ask yourself why you are at University at all?

sounds like good advice. Thanks! :smile:
Hi, not sure about the others, but I know a girl at UWE who loves it. Apparently, the nightlife is really good in Bristol if you're interested in it :smile:
Reply 14
I've gotten a 2:1 in my first assignment, I know that's not great, especially as I've said i don't find the course challenging haha but It was my first essay of the year so I didn't expect it to be that great. I got a B in English A level though so that really makes a difference on what kind of uni's I can apply to. My dream uni is Leeds. I loved it so much when I visited, everything falls short in comparison though, but I need 3 A's.

you say your dream university is Leeds, is it too late to apply via theire "Access to Leeds" scheme? I'm not really sure about the formalities of it, but I think it may definitely be worth investigating!

I think it basically means you get your offer at two grades lower, so like AAA becomes ABB

Maybe have a look at that?

ALSO: i know you said your dream uni was Leeds, but have you considered Trinity and All Saints? Then yo would at least be IN LEEDS. They used to be assosciated with Leeds University but are independent now. They do English single honours and it combined with a number of other subjects, just saying they want an English A-Level, and they work on UCAS points.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi. I'm also a university student, but I'm planning on transferring to either University of Kent or University of Leicester to do actuarial science. I'm kinda a lazy person that just aims for the pass mark. Does anyone know if the pass marks at these colleges are fixed and what they are?
Also, Which university would you say is better for this degree? I really can't decide :-\

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending