The Student Room Group

Who would you rather have in power, the EDL or MDL.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Personally id prefer both groups be put against the nearest wall but if it was only out of them then the EDL simply because i dont want some dip**** telling me which direction to pray in lest they behead me on youtube..
Reply 21
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
Just because you agree more with one doesn't mean the other is completely untrue. If they printed outright lies every week they would have been sued and closed down by now - printing controversial right-wing opinions doesn't make them lies. Newspapers often get things wrong, let's not forget the over exaggeration of the Guardian's, albeit heroic, investigation into phone hacking where they had to apologise and detract statements about the NOTW and Milly Dowler, much like the DM has made mistakes in the past. Every newspaper has its downfalls, the DMs is simply that it is right wing. It is no more or less propaganda material than the Guardian, just for a different side.

I don't understand how you can't see how your puppy love for the Guardian and intense hatred for the DM doesn't make your opinion biased and untrustworthy.

Puppy love? I don't generally read any newspapers, actually. But if I have to, I'd pick The Guardian over the rest. However, there are better places to find more accurate and unbiased news...

The Daily Mail hasn't been closed down because it's seen as such a joke by most intelligent people... it'd be like banning The Beano for printing fiction.
Original post by Rant
Puppy love? I don't generally read any newspapers, actually. But if I have to, I'd pick The Guardian over the rest. However, there are better places to find more accurate and unbiased news...

The Daily Mail hasn't been closed down because it's seen as such a joke by most intelligent people... it'd be like banning The Beano for printing fiction.

No. The DM hasn't been closed down because it has just as much value to the media world as the Guardian does. It has a vast target audience, a massive revenue and a huge following both in the UK and overseas. As said before, I don't support it or read it but I'm sick of people just heaping unnecessary criticism onto a person just because of what newspaper they read or, moreover, criticism on the newspaper in order to invalidate it in order to invalidate the opposing opinion to theirs.

Also, your condescending ways in which you devalue any DM reader as unintelligent is pretty appalling. Look at yourself and realise that you are making yourself look an pretentious tool.

I see you are being sarcastic. I apologise for the comments before.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Neither but if I had to choose it would be the EDL.
Original post by prog2djent
As above,

If you don't know, the MDL are the Muslim Defense League and are basically the people that the EDL always end up fighting against and are essentially a front for Shari'ah type groups. The same way the UAF are a front for the SWP.

I don't like either of them, but way to go about being unbiased.... ie:you haven't given a description of the EDL either

I really can't see one really being that different from each other - just that different people would be targeted. For my own safety, I'd essentially be forced to lean to the MDL if these were the only two groups leading the UK, but I really wouldn't want to have to make such a choice.
Reply 25
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that neither of them were political parties.
Original post by prog2djent
x

I'd have neither.

But as you don't have that option, I voted MDL, since as a Muslim, I would rather have anyone but the EDL in charge.
Coalition?
If I had to choose, it would be the EDL.
Why?
Because I am an atheist who has two young daughters and a gay brother.
A future ruled over by the MDLs particular brand of bigotry is far far and away the worst possible option.
Original post by someguy_1234
nah, im Muslim, no Muslims going to force you to do anything, we believe in respecting other peoples religions, but at the same time, showing them our point of view, we believe in equality and fairness, the media and edl fixate on this thing called "shariah law" << which is the law the county technically is in, such as, stealing is wrong, rape is wrong, and so on. it has nothing to do with forcing religions :smile:, and tbh wiv ya, im Muslim an id vote neither conservative all the way for me :smile:

Yes, that is just what a Christian I spoke to recently in Egypt said.
Reply 30
Wonder how many people are taking into account what the EDL actually say, or are they just stereotyping the racist football hooligan?

Watched the interview of their leader with Paxman their main message was that they are against extremist Islam, which i am sure most people here are actually against.

But most people here will unfortunately take into account class and appearance and have skewed perspectives as usual.
Reply 31
The mdl doesn't exist, im muslim, and to see the poll results is disheartening, i mean why all the hatred, is there any need, edl want what?, we haven't done anything wrong?, i haven't done anything wrong?, i mean there were so many black people in the riots (not being racist), i don't turn around to any old black person and say "why are you all like this", because its stupid!, so many black people helped clean the streets after the riots. so just think about what you say.

I wouldn't take it personally. Regardless of whether the MDL exists or not (I've never heard of it), really we're talking about a hypothetical group of Islamist extremists. The EDL might be just as bad overall, but most white non-Muslims wouldn't be particularly effected personally if the EDL were in power. At least not compared to having Islamists in power. That's my thinking anyway. I hate both groups, but I'd rather have the EDL in power purely out of self-preservation, because I'm not a member of the group they hate.

nah, im Muslim, no Muslims going to force you to do anything, we believe in respecting other peoples religions, but at the same time, showing them our point of view, we believe in equality and fairness, the media and edl fixate on this thing called "shariah law" << which is the law the county technically is in, such as, stealing is wrong, rape is wrong, and so on. it has nothing to do with forcing religions :smile:, and tbh wiv ya, im Muslim an id vote neither conservative all the way for me :smile:

That's great that you think that, and I hope most Muslims agree. But unfortunately there are plenty of so-called Muslims around the world that don't see it that way. Including the governments of several countries.
Reply 32
MDL

Lets just get it over with and turn the UK into an Islamic state.
Reply 33
Original post by Rant
The Daily Mail outright lies in print, The Guardian doesn't. The Daily Mail encourages hatred, The Guardian doesn't. The Daily Mail is written by propaganda mercenaries; The Guardian is written by (generally) intelligent people. I don't even know how you can compare the two.

Are you serious? The Daily Mail doesn't outright lie, the worst they have are normally small factually inaccuracies in celebrity pieces, if you actually bothered to look into it rather than listen to hysteria you'd know that. What the DM does have is normally an unabashed agenda, but bias is not lieing, to equate them only makes you look silly, as the Guardian has just the same amount of bias.
Reply 34
neither
Reply 35
Original post by cera ess six
If i had to choose then it would be EDL purely because i cba with the shariah law nonsense here

to mdl want shriah law?
Reply 36
Considering they are both non-political parties, I would fancy Labour back in government.
Reply 37
EDL.
Original post by Fides
Wonder how many people are taking into account what the EDL actually say, or are they just stereotyping the racist football hooligan?

Watched the interview of their leader with Paxman their main message was that they are against extremist Islam, which i am sure most people here are actually against.

But most people here will unfortunately take into account class and appearance and have skewed perspectives as usual.

Why on earth do we need a protest group against Islamic extremism? That's just about as moronic as an anti-murder protest group staging rallies and marches... Virtually everyone is already against "Islamic extremism", and the type of people who aren't against it are hardly going to be swayed by a protest...

They aren't against "extremist Islam" they are against Islam full stop. A view I can partially sympathise with as I think organised religion is the last major blight on this planet (though instead of attacking them as they do, I pity them for wasting their life), but if you think they are only against the "militant" elements of it then you need to get your head examined!

Though this is a moronic thread to start with anyway. As pretty much everyone has said, I despise both groups (well, I've never heard of the "MDL" but I can guess what they're about!) but as a straight, white British citizen - i.e. one of the majority - I'm clearly going to side with the group who won't radically change my way of life if I bizarrely had to chose between the two.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by callum9999
Why on earth do we need a protest group against Islamic extremism? That's just about as moronic as an anti-murder protest group staging rallies and marches... Virtually everyone is already against "Islamic extremism", and the type of people who aren't against it are hardly going to be swayed by a protest...

They aren't against "extremist Islam" they are against Islam full stop. A view I can partially sympathise with as I think organised religion is the last major blight on this planet (though instead of attacking them as they do, I pity them for wasting their life), but if you think they are only against the "militant" elements of it then you need to get your head examined!

Though this is a moronic thread to start with anyway. As pretty much everyone has said, I despise both groups (well, I've never heard of the "MDL" but I can guess what they're about!) but as a straight, white British citizen - i.e. one of the majority - I'm clearly going to side with the group who won't radically change my way of life if I bizarrely had to chose between the two.

Because protests are an important part of stating what people are against? What an odd thing to get picky over.

And your full stopped statement is just what the majority of the people think. Like i said before, I gave the interview on what they said they are against, so you just full stopping me by saying a statement that only holds ground over peoples ignorance on the subject means nothing to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending