The Student Room Group

Case Citations. Help appreciated!

Hi all,

I'm new here but I've been reading this forum on and off for the past few years. Just want to say this is a fantastic forum I've read advice from finding a job all the way to tips on how to answer exam questions!

Anyway I've got a moot assessment coming up and I don't get how to find and read these citations. Could someone just explain how they work?

Waterman v Boyle [2009] EWCA Civ 115

Moncrieff v Jamieson [2007] UKHL 42

Batchelor v Marlow [2001] EWCA Civ 1051

London & Blenheim Estates Ltd v Ladbroke Retail Parks Ltd [1994] 1 WLR 31

How am I supposed to read out those citations. I know QB is queens bench etc but some of these I just don't know. I have rough idea but I don't want to read these out wrong as it will affect my mark.

Thanks for your help.
EWCA/ UKHL (etc) is the neutral citation (and they stand respectively for "England and Wales Court of Appeal" and "UK House of Lords"). it's not a report.

You should give preference to the Law Reports: AC, QB, etc. If you can't find the case in the Law Reports, cite the Weeklies or the All ER. (I don't think which one particularly matters.) Then whatever.

A case with the citation [2000] 1 AC 100 would be described in a speech as "reported in the first volume of the Appeals Cases of 2000, at page 100".

[2000] 1 WLR 100 = first volume of the weekly law reports etc.

[2000] 1 ALL ER 100 = first volume of the All England reports etc.

If you can't find one of those reports, just cite whatever other report you can find. You may have to google it if it's an obscure one.

If all there is is a neutral citation (EWCA/ UKHL/ EWHC etc) the case is unreported and should be described as such.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I'd second most of the advice above but would add these three points:

1. Remember that in non criminal cases the 'v' is pronounced 'and' (in criminal cases 'against' is also acceptable'.

2. Never abbreviate. United Kingdom not UK etc. Read the case name in full.

3. The neutral citation should be given first, where available, followed by the most authoritative report. A neutral citation is read out slightly differently to a report:

"neutral citation 2000 England and Wales Court of Appeal Civil Division case (not page) 100".

Due to the time pressures of moots judges will normally allow you to "dispense with full citations" if you ask after you have done it once.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Thank you ery much guys, this has prettu much cleared up everything.

Just to double check however. This is how I would say it...

Moncrieff v/And Jamieson [2007] UKHL 42 = "United Kingdom House of Lords case 42".

Waterman v/And Boyle [2009] EWCA Civ 115 = "England and Wales Court of Appeal Civil Division Case 115"

Batchelor v/And Marlow [2001] EWCA Civ 1051 = " England and Wales Court of Appeal Civil Division Case 1051"

London & Blenheim Estates Ltd v/And Ladbroke Retail Parks Ltd [1994] 1 WLR 31 = "First volume of the weekly law reports page 31"

I think the above is correct?

Reply 4
Thaks for your help guys, is this how I would say it then?

Waterman v/And Boyle [2009] EWCA Civ 115= "England and Wales Court of Appeal Civil Division Case 115"

Moncrieff v/And Jamieson [2007] UKHL 42 = "United Kingdom House of Lords Case 42"

Batchelor v/And Marlow [2001] EWCA Civ 1051= "England and Wales Court of Appeal Civil Division Case 1051"

London & Blenheim Estates Ltd v/And Ladbroke Retail Parks Ltd [1994] 1 WLR 31 = "First volume of the weekly law reports page 31"

Is the above correct? Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending