The Student Room Group

Career, partner or children? What's more important to you?

Scroll to see replies

B and C- I really want children when I'm older and I couldn't imagine being a single parent. As much as I would love to have a successful career, B and C would be what was most important to me.
Reply 81
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ

Just to clarify further if you don't say A, you're unemployed, if you don't say B, you're single and if you don't say C, you don't have any children (including adopted/fostered children)

I really don't like you added this in. Just because someone would prefer children or a good partner over a succesful career, does not mean they're unemployed. If someone picks C over B, does not mean they're single - I think once you become a parent, for a lot of people, the child will become before the partner/husband/wife/etc.
A and C. I'd really want a partner but I want kids more. Although I've never been in a real relationship sometimes it feels like relationships are more problems than they are worth but I can't say the same for having children. I couldn't just be a mother though, being a mother/parent is the hardest job a person can have but still I would need to do other things with my time so would have to have a good career and if I didn't have a partner around as I've chosen I'd need it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pen Island
I dislike children

I can understand why a person might not want a baby because they are hard work and throw up and poop a lot etc and some people don't know how to act with babies but to say you don't like children of all ages, why? What is it you don't like about them?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
A question mostly to the ladies of TSR though men add your piece too!

If you could only have two of the following three options, which would you choose and why?

A) A (good, successful) career
b) A (good, successful) partner
C) A child/children

Just to clarify further if you don't say A, you're unemployed, if you don't say B, you're single and if you don't say C, you don't have any children (including adopted/fostered children)

What is your answer?
A partner first and foremost. I'm not a "career man", never have been, it's merely a means to an end for a happy, contented life in this world.

Kids would naturally come in to the equation if said partner was ideal.
A & B.
Reply 87
B and C, didn't even hesitate.
I need the OP to define a successful career....

If my successful career was as a brilliant artist, a respected novelist perhaps, or some other creative legacy then I would pick A and B. But if it's just earning a lot of money and working shedloads of hours then I wouldn't consider it more important than having a family. Also, I'm 27 so have probably worked longer than most people on this forum and it is largely a drag and I have a relatively interesting job.
Reply 89
Original post by coopsyy
I really don't like you added this in. Just because someone would prefer children or a good partner over a succesful career, does not mean they're unemployed. If someone picks C over B, does not mean they're single - I think once you become a parent, for a lot of people, the child will become before the partner/husband/wife/etc.

It's a hypothetical question... you're overthinking it.
Reply 90
Original post by Blue Rose
What is your answer?

A and B I think...

Though I'd like children, I'd be hopeless at being a single parent and that wouldn't be fair on them (ruling out A&C.)

For the moment I'm more interested in my career than a relationship (ruling out B&C) but am fully aware that this will probably change. It's so difficult to choose between A&B and B&C. There's more to life than work, but as I've taken the question to the extreme of lifelong unemployment, I don't think life at home would be sufficiently fulfilling (even with a child to raise.)
I think B would be the most important for me. Then A. Never cared much for children.
Original post by Cybele
A and B, absolutely. I've spent however many years of my life in education working damn hard (most of the time) and I want a career to show for it. I'd love a successful partner as well.

Kids, I can take them or leave them, not really fussed.

Same here.
Reply 93
A & B. Not that interested in having kids on this Earth.
Reply 94
B and C.
A and B. Children freak me out,I definitely won't be having any. If C was being able to assure I'll never get pregnant, that would be a hard choice, but it's pretty easy here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue Rose
I can understand why a person might not want a baby because they are hard work and throw up and poop a lot etc and some people don't know how to act with babies but to say you don't like children of all ages, why? What is it you don't like about them?

Well ok it may have been a bit strong to say I 'dislike' children in general. I do have younger cousins who obviously Im not going to dislike. But I don't know how to interact with children and don't know what to do with them - they just make me feel weird and uncomfortable. I like people I can have a proper conversation with and who have a developed personality :smile: (not saying kids are all the same and that they're idiots but I just can't interact with them basically).
Safe to say I have no maternal instincts in me, just don't see the appeal of kids :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
Easily C. I really, really want to be a mother!

Hard to chose between A and B but I am so focused on work and find it (generally) so stimulating I couldn't imagine the frustration of being unemployed. Whereas with a child and close friends, it's not like being single would be that bad.

A&C therefore.
(edited 11 years ago)
A and C.
Reply 99
A and B.

Neither my partner nor I want kids at this moment, I think I might decide I do later but I have a career to get into first (won't be qualified for another 8ish years) so it's not a pressing matter.

I don't think I could ever go without the career because for me financial security means me being the one providing it, given that I know relationships can always evaporate. I'm currently financially dependent on my partner while I sort out getting onto the course I want and while it's somehow relaxing to know my (marginal) bills are getting paid without me being on the dole or struggling to get a job in this climate, it's also quite an uncomfortable situation. I know my partner is happy to look after me financially for a while without me chipping in at all but I also know we would be living a lot more comfortably if I had a job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending