The Student Room Group

cant decide between biochem or chemical engineering!

predicted grades are ABD A in biology B in chemistry B in maths, D in maths because i got a U in d1, but got a C in c1 and B in c2 and im retaking d1.

I want to know which one has more career prospects and better pay

which one do u think is more interesting? also chem eng seems to have higher entry requirments i duno what one to go for

if you're doing biochem or chem eng please reply
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
If you struggle with chemistry, do not do biochemistry.
Reply 2
Original post by Bubbles94
If you struggle with chemistry, do not do biochemistry.

sorry i meant to put chemistry as B
Reply 3
need help please! thinking more biochemistry now. the courses differ apprently... what are the more exciting modules?? and uni's where the c/w isnt too high % wise
Reply 4
I think biochemistry is much more interesting. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by goldenkuri
I think biochemistry is much more interesting. :smile:

yh but does it have good career prospects and pay i think chem engineering pays better

do u do biochem? what stuff r u studying if u dont mind me asking
Reply 6
Original post by wag12k12dunkno
yh but does it have good career prospects and pay i think chem engineering pays better

do u do biochem? what stuff r u studying if u dont mind me asking

I don't know much about chem engineering, am currently in year 12 and am deciding between biochem and medicine..

biochem you could do a lot of things i.e. clinical biochemist (testing to diagnose patients).. a forensic sciencist... a research scientist
Honestly, the open days I've been to so far have put quite a heavy emphasis on Maths, which they usually ask for a A grade but you look capable. However, it does look a lot more interesting than Biochemistry then again since I'm applying for chemeng I'm biased. Chemeng is quite an open degree as well, so don't have to become a chemical engineer. Its also the 3rd highest paid graduate job after dentistry and Medicine. Why don't you think about biochemeng and combine the 2 slightly?
do both... biochemical engineering
Reply 9
Original post by Yellow_Watermelon
do both... biochemical engineering

wont have good career prospects surely
I'm not an employer but i don't see why it doesn't have good prospects the course content doesnt seem much different to biochemisty and biotechnology
and it not far off chemical engineering I doubt any of those degrees will limit you.
and the bio fuels and food & drinks industry seem pretty big with lots of opportunity same with the pharmaceutical industry.

also remember its possible to get any degree and still not get a good job as experience, personality and skill is very important.

the best idea is to check the course content on the uni websites and pick a course that contains the most modules you want to study.

or pick an industry you want to work in and ask questions to people that have experience of recruiting for it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending