The Student Room Group

Do universities do short courses?

Say your doing your degree, is it possible to take upon another course? Such example would be a language short course, I'm not sure if this would be classed as a society.
Reply 1
My answer is going to be totally irrelevant but I wondered about these courses too, like could I do a programming course even if I'm doing a biology degree yada yada yada
Reply 2
Original post by ProfessorPester
Say your doing your degree, is it possible to take upon another course? Such example would be a language short course, I'm not sure if this would be classed as a society.

Many unis offer language classes for you to take alongside your degree. They're not really "degree level" as they have different levels (eg beginner, or if you've done GCSE or whatever). Here's the page from York

Original post by freakedout
My answer is going to be totally irrelevant but I wondered about these courses too, like could I do a programming course even if I'm doing a biology degree yada yada yada

Many courses will give you an element of free choice, where you can choose any module you like. Usually people stick to similar topics, but usually you can choose anything - but there will be timetable issues as it could clash with something you're more committed to.
Reply 3
Original post by Juno

Many courses will give you an element of free choice, where you can choose any module you like. Usually people stick to similar topics, but usually you can choose anything - but there will be timetable issues as it could clash with something you're more committed to.

Imperial doesn't they're inflexible biatches, well at least it's a worldwide known institute
Reply 4
Original post by freakedout
Imperial doesn't they're inflexible biatches, well at least it's a worldwide known institute

Then you seem to know the answer to your own question.
Some universities do let you do this, either as part of your course, as an extra credit course, or as an evening class. Evening classes sadly you generally have to pay for, but they are often heavily discounted for students. For example, you can do a two term language course for £180 at my university. That's a lot to a student, but it is significantly cheaper than those run outside universities. My university has also started offering free extra credit courses, including languages. These are great, but go on your transcript, so have an attendance requirement and exam/essay, which you have to pass if you don't want a fail on the transcript. They're a really good way to do something a bit different if your prepared to put in a bit of extra work. Ask around at your university, and look on their website to see if they offer similar things.
Original post by mrs_bellamy
Some universities do let you do this, either as part of your course, as an extra credit course, or as an evening class. Evening classes sadly you generally have to pay for, but they are often heavily discounted for students. For example, you can do a two term language course for £180 at my university. That's a lot to a student, but it is significantly cheaper than those run outside universities. My university has also started offering free extra credit courses, including languages. These are great, but go on your transcript, so have an attendance requirement and exam/essay, which you have to pass if you don't want a fail on the transcript. They're a really good way to do something a bit different if your prepared to put in a bit of extra work. Ask around at your university, and look on their website to see if they offer similar things.

This is great news, I would like to do evening classes and/or extra credit course.

Can you give mean example from your uni of such classes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending