The Student Room Group

Unable to find Case Comment

Hey All,

I have to do a case comment on Attorney General of Belize v Belize Telecom ... I've been trying to find example case comments on lexisnexis and westlaw but am unable to find any. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in my search options but if anyone can help me find any that would be great!

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to structure a case comment & what it should contain?
Reply 1
Original post by Veevz
Hey All,

I have to do a case comment on Attorney General of Belize v Belize Telecom ... I've been trying to find example case comments on lexisnexis and westlaw but am unable to find any. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in my search options but if anyone can help me find any that would be great!

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to structure a case comment & what it should contain?

Common sense would lead most people to believe because there isn't a case comment; you have to make one yourself!
Reply 2
Original post by Veevz
Hey All,

Open up a case on Westlaw - pick one that has changed the law in some way. Follow the link, if there is one, to journal articles in the left hand menu bar. Among those articles you might find some case comments. Bit hit and miss finding case comments as opposed to full articles, just keep trying and you should find some examples.

In general a case comment is a shorter review of a recently decided case - not a full journal article, which goes into a deeper analysis of the issues. They vary in style but usually you'll get the basics facts, some comment on or summary of the court's reasoning, what impact this decision has on this area of law, eg how it has altered principles or aspects of them, its impact on previous case law, its potential impact on practitioners etc..

Very often case comments focus on the potential that a judgment has for future cases coming down the track. You might want to comment on why the change is good or bad. You'll also want to comment on the extent the court has moved from what was previously held to be good law.

Quick Reply

Latest