The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

History/Modern History and Politics question

Right the situation is at the moment, that I have been offered a 2006 place for history, which I have accepted as my firm offer. I am quite interested in doing the modern history and politics course, so I rang up, and they said that it was indeed possible to change once I get there in September.

My question is, how good is the politics department (social sciences department) at Rhul?, and what would you guys advise me to do? My general historical interests don't really lie in one specific area, and I would just be as interested in studying modern history as any other period, the main influence in my decision would be the politics side in it.

So if anyone could lend their two cents it would be most appreciated.
Reply 1
There is no reason why u can't do a politics module in your 2nd year...in fact a lot of people decide to do that and it's IMO better than doing His/Pol degree. I understand that some people feel that you can lose the depth of history or politics at undergraduate level *w8s for furious TSR'ers to howl me down* if you go down that route.

Personally I would stick with the single history degree...
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Yeah, I was in the smae situation as you, toyed with the idea of doing hist/pol but decided against it- the degree programme is inevitably more rigid, you have less choice, plus the politics course was pretty much the same as my A Level. I wan the flexibilty of doing an earlier period of history too. If you really want to do it by all means go for it, but I'd advise agaginst.
Reply 3
Cheers guys for that, really helpful!

Yeh I'm probably going to stick with the straight history actually. Was just looking at the course topics, looks fantastic, a lot of stuff that would interest me.

Latest

Trending

Trending