The Student Room Group

Failing at uni

Sooo i'm doing literature at Uni.
It's a big shock well i've gone from top of the class to BOTTOM of uni (literally). Its the essays I really struggle with, i read the essay tips books, I use all the advice i'm given yet I get LOWER than the previous mark.
I spend time on my essays I don't leave it till the last minute yet I get less than the people that rush it.
I proof read it till my eyes crust over (LITERALLY) yet I still constantly get feedback to proofread and that my sentences don't make sense.
The most predominant feedback is that my essay has no argument. Even when I try so hard I don't understand how I have no argument.

I'm considering dropping out of uni, i can't cope? I am quitting my weekend job but that will make no difference. Uni was supposed to be fun, its just hell and no way in hell im leaving with a 1st or a 2.1 so whats the point in all this?
I just feel sick and disappointed in myself because no-one else I know feels like this, I have nobody to talk about to properly about literally feeling depressed over my progress (or lack thereof) in uni.
Reply 1
Sorry forgot to add the point of this post was that I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or any helpful books or websites or anything for essay help, or emotional support.
ANYTHING?
At least your trying, soon you may make a breakthrough.
If you have up you would never make that breakthrough.
Reply 3
I'm not sure if its possible for uni students but you could try get a tutor? That would mean they could help with specific essay questions rather than you reading general tips for writing essays
Try asking someone who did better than you if you could read one of their essays. Compare them to yours and see how their essay is better than yours. Than come up with a check list of things they did which you didn't and after you've read your essay go over the list to see how many of them you've completed. Remember be HARSH with how you evaluate your essay in relation to the criteria you've set out.
Maybe you could get someone who isn't doing your course to proof-read your essay before you hand in? As long as they don't help you with content but only with determining whether what you have written makes sense to them I don't see that there would be any issues of unethical conduct. It's difficult to be objective about whether your own piece of work makes sense - because you know what you meant and subconsciously read that meaning into what you've written even if it's phrased badly.
Can't you arrange a one-on-one session with your lecturer so that they can go through in detail what you're doing wrong and what you can do to be better?

Also ask if your University has an assignment help service, they're usually really good and you can get them to check your assignment before you hand it in and they'll help you

Usually universities have places which can help people in your situation such as study help or emotional support. The only thing you can do is to ask!

And don't give up, you can do it, otherwise you wouldn't have got into uni :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Ask one of the lecturers to go through with the coursework and ask them what do you need to obtain an A/B/C grade if they dont (some might go through it inclass to show you whats required of you).

Go through the module handbooks and see what you need to view over your learning acheivements and goals and incorporate that into your coursework which might help your grades improve.

Ask a classmate to look over your coursework and offer to look over theirs or look at it with a fresh pair of eyes the next day. Use the study support at your university in order to help you.

If you are struggling, talk to student support it may you could have a slight learning disability (I only say this because I have this problem as well, and I had a tutor who pointed out my errors and showed me where the problems were as I struggled with grammer and spelling with my coursework she also helped me with essays my weakest point in terms of planning/writing and after I finished the little errors and anything else).

PM me if you feel you might need some advice and i'll help out as well with this.

Dont give up on the job either :smile: It shows your able to committ to a job and to education which is important, plus the extra income will be useful in the future.
Jasmine, I tutor uni students so if you would like to discuss how I can help then message me.
It sounds like you need to structure your arguments more explicitly and make them flow together better and perhaps improve your sentence structure??
Get in touch if you'd like some help. Maria

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending