The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Nottingham has a better overall reputation, albeit marginally. I'm not a huge fan of the way the course is structured in the first year, though.
Reply 2
Personally, I prefer the Sheffield course; there are more modules available that would cater to my tastes, but Nottingham does have a better rep like Ollie87 said.
However, Nottingham is a bit rough. That said, your best bet is to look at modules on offer - they're quite different, so that should be a deciding factor.
Reply 3
I'd choose Sheffield in a second. Sure, Nottingham might have a (slightly) better reputation, but it's definately not big enough to base your whole decision on. I've visited both unis, and much preferred Sheffield. Nottingham might have a pretty campus, but it just seemed so isolated to me. Sheffield is near the city centre, has a great Students Union, and is just a nicer city imo.

I also much much prefer the Sheffield course. But that's just me. Have a look at both courses because they differ so much (in Nottingham, you do language and drama as well as literature, and you don't get anywhere near as much choice as Sheffield). Which one do you prefer the sound of? Would you prefer to be on a campus or not?

I'm not slagging off Nottingham; it's a great uni, and loads of people love it there. It just definately wasn't for me. Sheffield on the other hand I absolutely loved, and very nearly made it my firm choice (it ended up being my insurance).

We can all tell you what we think, but I'd really advice you to think about the two questions I asked, because they are probably the biggest differences between the two.
Ermm..I know I'm biased, but firstly Nottingham has a much better reputation than Sheffield. I have a friend who got rejected from unis including Nottingham and York, but got accepted into Sheffield with a D at AS in one of her subjects and B in the one she wanted to take a degree in (when she applied).

It depends what your priorities are and what you want out of the course too though.

Nottingham isn't that rough (although Sheffield is England's safest city), it's not hilly or windy like Sheffield, and it's not as 'grey' as Sheffield seems to be. The campus is beautiful and there are a lot of friendly people both on and off (such as the nice guy in The Works who asked me about my art project and the guy who phoned his taxi-driver friend when I asked him for directions to a place he didn't know).
Sheffield is more in the city centre and the English course is more literary based, which a lot of people prefer.
Both unis have great student unions.

I'd say go look at both if you can and see what you prefer.

Latest