The Student Room Group

Is there a big difference between university and sixthform/college in terms of ..

The students (are they alot more mature) and the work.
Your experiences of university will be appreciated
Simple answer would be yes the students will be more mature and, you can pretty much guarantee the work will be a lot harder.

It would depend on how mature you find students at 6th form/college to be currently. I was 'lucky' enough to go to a public school for my secondary to gcses then a local comp for my 6th form. The difference between the work ethic and approach from students at both of these schools was very different.

The work at uni will depend on what type of course you take, its a safe bet to say that the uni work will be much harder, I found my tutors saying it would be the hardest work we would ever experience unless doing an MA, I would defiantly agree with them now that I have finished uni. I have spoken to a few students who have been in work for a few years and they all agreed that the work at uni was much harder then what they where currently doing.
Very simply, at Uni you wont be spoon-fed, or told what to do next.

The vast majority of your study will be independent, with you having to find the motivation and interest to keep going. No-one is going to remind you to do things. Many new students find this difficult as they are used to being told what to do every minute of the day or have followed a very close curriculum where everything was prescribed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending