The Student Room Group

Pansexual Muslim.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

I am a 24 years old, South Asian, bi female muslim as well.

I have never been in a relationship with a female but I have liked women for a long time. I have been through the whole drama of finding a south asian man who is traditional/practicing and I have not unfortunately found the right man for me - then there is that drama about getting married late. I already feel that I am 'late'. My family think I am very fussy but it's not I have been hurt because I have wanted to get married but guys turn out to be jerks then I tend to think if I was better of with a woman but I know for a fact my family would disown me.

Out of all honesty it is a very very difficult situation to be in. I think given in our culture girls find it harder to find decent men and if you have found a genuine nice guy I think you should settle with him and explain that you are bi or have liked woman jokingly but I can see him saying 'Islamically that is not right' but see how he reacts jokingly & what gurantee do you have that this female is going to love you forever?

I mean is she south asian too (sorry if you have answered this question) & how old is she? Let me know if you want me to PM you x
Original post by Zubes
fine, go to the source, I can get more for you as well, no need to get so angry,

We also (sent) Lut: He said to his people: "Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? For ye practise your lusts on men in preference to women : ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds. And his people gave no answer but this: they said, "Drive them out of your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!" But we saved him and his family, except his wife: she was of those who legged behind. And we rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): Then see what was the end of those who indulged in sin and crime! Qur'an 7:80

"If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both. If they repent and amend, Leave them alone; for Allah is Oft-returning, Most Merciful." Qur'an 4:16

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet cursed effeminate men and those women who assume the similitude (manners) of men. He also said, "Turn them out of your houses." He turned out such-and-such person out, and 'Umar turned out such-and-such person. Sahih Bukhari

Narated By Abdullah ibn Abbas : The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done Abu Dawud 38:4447

Narrated AbuSa'id al-Khudri: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: A man should not look at the private parts of another man, and a woman should not look at the private parts of another woman. A man should not lie with another man without wearing lower garment under one cover; and a woman should not be lie with another woman without wearing lower garment under one cover. Abu Dawud 31:4007

Narrated AbuHurayrah: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: A man should not lie with another man and a woman should not lie with another woman without covering their private parts except a child or a father. He also mentioned a third thing which I forgot. Abu Dawud 31:4008

It was narrated by Jaabir (may Allah be pleased with him): "The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: 'There is nothing I fear for my ummah more than the deed of the people of Loot.'"Tirmidhi 1457

Your first and second paragraph are taken from a translation of the Qur'an. Let's address those first.

Paragraph one: Where does it state that this is referring to homosexuality? The Arabic word used in the Qur'an is "Al-fāḥishata" , meaning "lewdness". Unless you assume "lewdness" to mean homosexuality, the verse itself does not state that that is what it is referring to. It is slanderous then for you to attribute that to God.

Paragraph two: I don't know if you know Arabic, but you have taken the word "wa-alladhāni" to translate as "two men". The word "wa-alladhāni" can refer to two males or a male and a female in accordance with rules of Arabic grammar. Now, if God wanted you to know that homosexuality was a "grave sin", would it not be clearer than the vague translations which you have presented.

Lastly, everything else you have written refers to hadith. These are useless sayings which any Tom, Dick and Harry could have written. They were written 200-300 years after Mohammad's death. Study the "chains of narrations" for yourself; they are completely flawed. As a Muslim, why do you feel that God's scripture is inadequate. Why do you need a compilation of books which were compiled centuries after the death of Mohammed to "complete" scripture. Do your research and you will find that the hadith have disregarded quite a lot of what it says in the Qur'an. How about you start with human rights as seen as you are so sure that God hates homosexual people. You probably also think it is acceptable for a man to have four wives, for adulterers to be stoned to death, for gays to be stoned to death, for apostates to be punished by death. How many times a day do "devout" "Muslims" say "bismillahi-ar rahmaan ir raheem". Now, if you truly believe that your God is merciful, then why would he command you to go around acting in such a merciless way. Perhaps, the answer lies in hadith, which provide the absurdities of mainstream "Islam".

Don't rely on the translation of others. Anyone can translate anthing in any way they like. I implore you to not even take my word for what I am saying. Read your book and study it in depth with sincerity. Then, you yourself will be a sufficient reckoner against your self.

All the best to you.

Salaam.
Just fyi, this is one the things many religious people an I disagree about. But i'm not going get into some rant about that.

To the OP: It is completely understandable you are in a dilemna.

My beliefs are that many things on this planet, such as love and family, are to be treasured. I may not be the best person to talk about this in terms of your religious beliefs. However, love is something that requires sacrifices. Love is not something that comes around often-in many cases, true love only comes around once in your lifetime. You won't gain much from conforming to your family's and your future husband's beliefs, by the sounds of it. At a point in most people's lives, there will come a time when they have to decide if they want to maintain a status quo in their lives, with the idea of some kind of family, or whether they want to be happy.

I don't think many people know the meaning of life. I certainly don't. But everyone on this planet has wanted to be happy at some point in your life. You now have this choice. You can choose to marry this guy and be "content", with a group of people around you who respect you, or you can chose to live with this girl, and have love and happiness.

For me, it would be an easy decision. I don't hate my parents-if anything, I appreciate them on a very similar level to how you appreciate yours. They are not religious, nor do they expect me to conform to anything. But if they did, I would easily go against them. Yes, this new relationship may not work out. But everyone should be given an attempt to find true love. I would probably be the one that takes all the opportunities I get.

However, at the end of the day this is your decision. As much as I would love to make such a decision for you, it is you that will face the consequences of these actions. Maybe if your parents really did love you, they would appreciate you, whichever decision you made. I cannot tell. However, I wish you the best of luck with your decision, and as much happiness as possible for the future.
Reply 43
Original post by Perseveranze
I think you should try to reconsider this [if you're still a Muslim], and think it through once again. You're basically just following your worldly desires which will one day come to an end before you know it.

There's people that can help you if you want it and give you support, but if you're not willing to at least try and change and as as disappointing as it is, then this is all I have to say;

“Contain yourself in patience with those who call on their Lord morning and evening, seeking His countenance. Let not your eyes pass beyond them in quest of the beauties of the life of this world. Pay no heed to any whose heart We have left to be negligent of all remembrance of Us because he had always followed his own desires, and whose case has gone beyond all bounds. Say: ‘The truth [has now come] from your Lord. Let him who wills, believe in it, and let him who wills, reject it.’' (Sura Al-Kahf Verses 28-29)

Reconsider? Try to change? You act as if her sexuality is something she's chosen because she didn't do enough research. NOBODY HAS ANY CONTROL OVER THEIR SEXUALITY. I cannot understand why people have such difficulty with this, it's pretty simple. She has no choice over who she is attracted to, and that person is a consenting adult. If you honestly believe that anyone can control who they are attracted to...I don't even know what to say to something that idiotic.
Reply 44
Sexuality is a part of what you are, wired into your genetics. Religion is fairytales.
I'd call off the engagement if I were you. Not only because of your sexuality, but because marriage for the sake of convenience just isn't the right way to go. Yes, you don't want to disappoint your parents, but you have to think about your own happiness. Realistically, being stuck in a loveless marriage will only esculate your depression further, and you'll probably end up with a very bleak future.
Reply 46
This isn't a religious debate. The OP didn't ask for Islam's position on homosexuality.

I would suggest you talk to your family homewrecker, instead of going through with the marriage or leaving your family. If your mom is not too religious, try to get her on your side and have the wedding delayed at first. Maybe make up a different excuse than coming out about your bisexuality. Tell them you want to pursue a career and want to be more independant.
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
I know as much as I need to know about organised religions. Islam is no different to any other out there - as equally immoral and backward.

But it is different. You can know very little of something and embrace a set impression (in this case, you had a confirmation bias before you even looked into Islam due to your experiences with other religions); but impressions can change once people learn further and more importantly, see things as a whole. You just need to be open minded.

Original post by abc101
Reconsider? Try to change? You act as if her sexuality is something she's chosen because she didn't do enough research. NOBODY HAS ANY CONTROL OVER THEIR SEXUALITY. I cannot understand why people have such difficulty with this, it's pretty simple. She has no choice over who she is attracted to, and that person is a consenting adult. If you honestly believe that anyone can control who they are attracted to...I don't even know what to say to something that idiotic.

You want to calm down and actually read my post? Nowhere did I imply someone can control what they're attracted to. There's whole books of Islamic theology with this issue that is something we all must accept. Nor Pedophiles, nor necrophiliacs, nor beastiality; none can control what they're attracted to.

I never blame them for attraction, I simply blame them for acting out on their desires. Even I have desires which I can't personally control, but I can control whether I act upon them or not. Also, not every desire is necassarily a good thing.

But, everyone has a choice I guess. Sinning is pretty black and white in this case, I was just naseeha (advice).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Inquirer
This isn't a religious debate. The OP didn't ask for Islam's position on homosexuality.

I would suggest you talk to your family homewrecker, instead of going through with the marriage or leaving your family. If your mom is not too religious, try to get her on your side and have the wedding delayed at first. Maybe make up a different excuse than coming out about your bisexuality. Tell them you want to pursue a career and want to be more independant.

Yep, there's a reason why I didn't post in the Religion forum.

Me and my mum don't really get along. I could talk to my dad, but the thing is there is really not an 'excuse' I could make up. I have a really good job, I already am quite independent (I just recently moved back home because it's easier to get to my job) - I really do have an almost perfect life. Which is why it's getting hard now - anything I do next is sure to mess up everything. Thanks for the reply.
Reply 49
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I am a 24 years old, South Asian, bi female muslim as well.

I have never been in a relationship with a female but I have liked women for a long time. I have been through the whole drama of finding a south asian man who is traditional/practicing and I have not unfortunately found the right man for me - then there is that drama about getting married late. I already feel that I am 'late'. My family think I am very fussy but it's not I have been hurt because I have wanted to get married but guys turn out to be jerks then I tend to think if I was better of with a woman but I know for a fact my family would disown me.

Out of all honesty it is a very very difficult situation to be in. I think given in our culture girls find it harder to find decent men and if you have found a genuine nice guy I think you should settle with him and explain that you are bi or have liked woman jokingly but I can see him saying 'Islamically that is not right' but see how he reacts jokingly & what gurantee do you have that this female is going to love you forever?

I mean is she south asian too (sorry if you have answered this question) & how old is she? Let me know if you want me to PM you x

I really wouldn't mind a PM, I feel like it's hard for others to understand unless they're in the same situation. I do empathise with you too, which is why I accepted the first decent guy that came along, (my thinking at the time was that it's better to get it over and done with than prolong the inevitable), but yes I am terrified of him having a negative reaction. What if he doesn't react jokingly, and just blows up? What if he tells my parents?

She's not South Asian, and she's a year older than me.
Reply 50
Original post by kittykat8
LOL

You read my mind.
Not the most moral action but..just how traditional is this potential man you'll marry? You say he's more religious then your family, does this mean he also has stronger views on gender roles? You have a successful career now, would be expect you to become a housewife? If so..could your concern over this be an acceptable issue to raise with your father?

Then also, do you believe this man would allow you to go out regularly by yourself with a female friend? After all if he's so traditional he probably couldn't comprehend a bi-sexual partner, so you spending time with another woman may not ring alarm bells at all. Obviously the big issue with that is how your female friend/love interest would feel about the fact your relationship was hidden from everyone and you were having an affair. But then..this is a pretty crappy situation caused by an outdated culture, so if you want to have your cake and eat it then go ahead. What ever happens, try not to let your faith/culture destroy the potential for a happy loving relationship. I'll spare my views on Abrahamic faiths here, but your happiness in the 21st century comes before ancient texts written in a time long past.
I'm afraid you are getting a lot of very very bad advice in this thread from children with little life experience and romantic notions of how "love" and life works.

Heres how I see it. You have a major choice between coming out to your family, and living in a loveless marriage.

The former has a very high risk that your family and community will disown you if you. If you can move away from home, and have a very close relationship with your parents, and they are not TOO religious or judgmental, you might be able to convince them to create a false pretense to break off the marriage and to keep your sexuality a secret even though they are appalled. This would be a good outcome, in the circumstances but would probably require you to move away from your community and live discretely. Its also a huge risk. They may just disown you. Living without family support will be hard, especially as you are yet to fully come to terms with who you really are, but in the longer run you will be being true to yourself.

Alternatively, if the (high) risk of losing your family is unacceptable, and you can come to terms with a loveless marriage (which I presume, culturally, you can), then you still have two options -
2A. to supress your true sexuality and basically put that part of you aside. This will be very hard but you will hardly be the first non-hetero muslim to follow this path. Its obviously doable. Will you be happy though?
2B. to have extramarital relations with women (your friend at first, if things go sour there, perhaps with others). This course has huge risks if you get found out of course, but may be so unthinkable to your husband and family that they never suspect provided you choose your lovers carefully and are extremely discrete. This also has the advantage of leaving you the later option of switching to option 1. Is this enough to satisfy you? Will your friend be satisfied being your mistress?

In any case, having children with your arranged husband will heavily complicate matters.
Original post by joey11223
Not the most moral action but..just how traditional is this potential man you'll marry? You say he's more religious then your family, does this mean he also has stronger views on gender roles? You have a successful career now, would be expect you to become a housewife? If so..could your concern over this be an acceptable issue to raise with your father?

Then also, do you believe this man would allow you to go out regularly by yourself with a female friend? After all if he's so traditional he probably couldn't comprehend a bi-sexual partner, so you spending time with another woman may not ring alarm bells at all. Obviously the big issue with that is how your female friend/love interest would feel about the fact your relationship was hidden from everyone and you were having an affair. But then..this is a pretty crappy situation caused by an outdated culture, so if you want to have your cake and eat it then go ahead. What ever happens, try not to let your faith/culture destroy the potential for a happy loving relationship. I'll spare my views on Abrahamic faiths here, but your happiness in the 21st century comes before ancient texts written in a time long past.

Good post, but its pretty trite to tell someone to just throw away their lifelong faith and culture (and family) because you think its stupid/outdated.

Its very easy for non-muslim people from a liberal background on a forum to tell someone to abandon their family and friends to be true to liberal values. Is this tradeoff actually worth it? MUCH more complicated.
Reply 54
there's nothing you can do. You must choose either your family, or your GF.

Since you are a realist, as you say, it makes more sense to pick your family.
Original post by Zubes
As an Indian muslim who is aware, I would want my finance to tell me her feelings if she was in a similar situation to you. Is he quite liberal, then this would be a good approach, you need someone to consult in other than the girl/the interwebs.

I won't go into the religious aspect of things though as you've already come to terms with it.

I am also very handsome and aesthetic, I lift regularly and I am charming, caring and have many feminine like tendencies, so I have the best of both sides. Feel free to buy me dinner sometime, peace x

Do you lift, bro?
Original post by HistoryRepeating

Its very easy for non-muslim people from a liberal background on a forum to tell someone to abandon their family and friends to be true to liberal values. Is this tradeoff actually worth it? MUCH more complicated.

I suppose, but then in some ways you don't have to look very far back into our own society to see the flaws in traditional thinking. Divorce rates are high now, some see this as proof we're a broken society. However as I talked with my Mum today about her separation from my Dad (he's bitter towards her new partner, it's causing issues with Christmas), when my Mum was a child, there were a lot of very unhappy couples who would simply stay together because it's what the "proper thing to do" was, despite there being no love between them and in some cases total misery.

The OP seems to think her parents, possibly more her father (which I'm surprised about actually), would come to accept her for who she was in time.

Though that raises a question actually for the OP if she reads this. You say your parents may accept it, but in a decade. What about your siblings? They joke she's your boyfriend, but how accepting what they be of your relationship if it was known? I know you say they are younger, but if you think they would support you, and not just one of them, then it could make a big impact on how your parents come round to it.

You could stay friends while being with his man, but to me it sounds like it would be too painful for you to be so close to what you truly desire. If you decide to cut contact and stay with his man, you'll have a hole in your heart for the rest of your life.

I suppose as HistoryRepeating says it's too easy for us in liberal families to form a judgement and just tell you to run away from your family, follow your heart, like the consequences don't matter. Ultimately few of us bar the one girl you've PM'd are going to help and even her situation is personal to herself.

I think you also need to consider your homosexual leanings. Even if you and this girl didn't last forever, the fact is it seems you'll be happier in general in a homosexual relationship. Denying your sexuality is quite destructive IMO. I know of two men who were homosexual and married, had kids, played the husband etc, because they couldn't face their sexuality, one because of his family and culture (he was British, but traditional), the other I am not so aware of, but I assume it was something similar. The former who I know more about lived a very unfulfilled and unhappy life for quite some time and clearly his partner would have suffered for this too, especially eventually knowing their relationship was build on lies. I don't think it's fair on either of you to be married when you'll never love him as you should and he'll be oblivious until you boil over.
Reply 57
Original post by HistoryRepeating
I'm afraid you are getting a lot of very very bad advice in this thread from children with little life experience and romantic notions of how "love" and life works.

Heres how I see it. You have a major choice between coming out to your family, and living in a loveless marriage.

The former has a very high risk that your family and community will disown you if you. If you can move away from home, and have a very close relationship with your parents, and they are not TOO religious or judgmental, you might be able to convince them to create a false pretense to break off the marriage and to keep your sexuality a secret even though they are appalled. This would be a good outcome, in the circumstances but would probably require you to move away from your community and live discretely. Its also a huge risk. They may just disown you. Living without family support will be hard, especially as you are yet to fully come to terms with who you really are, but in the longer run you will be being true to yourself.

Alternatively, if the (high) risk of losing your family is unacceptable, and you can come to terms with a loveless marriage (which I presume, culturally, you can), then you still have two options -
2A. to supress your true sexuality and basically put that part of you aside. This will be very hard but you will hardly be the first non-hetero muslim to follow this path. Its obviously doable. Will you be happy though?
2B. to have extramarital relations with women (your friend at first, if things go sour there, perhaps with others). This course has huge risks if you get found out of course, but may be so unthinkable to your husband and family that they never suspect provided you choose your lovers carefully and are extremely discrete. This also has the advantage of leaving you the later option of switching to option 1. Is this enough to satisfy you? Will your friend be satisfied being your mistress?

In any case, having children with your arranged husband will heavily complicate matters.

I have discussed children with him and neither of us want children for quite a while, so that's not something I'm worried about. But thank you for putting my options in a much more coherent way, it helps having an outsider's pov. Like you say, option 2a is very doable, I just have to be prepared to not be very happy. Option 1, right now, is the last choice for me, and option 2A would probably be (selfish, but) the best outcome. I think she's react okay to that, but she does deserve better than being someone's mistress.

Which is why I think I am going to deal with both issues separately. I'll carry on being just friends with her. In the mean time I need to figure out what I'm doing about the marriage. Thanks for your reply, it really helped.
Reply 58
Original post by joey11223

I suppose as HistoryRepeating says it's too easy for us in liberal families to form a judgement and just tell you to run away from your family, follow your heart, like the consequences don't matter. Ultimately few of us bar the one girl you've PM'd are going to help and even her situation is personal to herself.

I think you also need to consider your homosexual leanings. Even if you and this girl didn't last forever, the fact is it seems you'll be happier in general in a homosexual relationship. Denying your sexuality is quite destructive IMO. I know of two men who were homosexual and married, had kids, played the husband etc, because they couldn't face their sexuality, one because of his family and culture (he was British, but traditional), the other I am not so aware of, but I assume it was something similar. The former who I know more about lived a very unfulfilled and unhappy life for quite some time and clearly his partner would have suffered for this too, especially eventually knowing their relationship was build on lies. I don't think it's fair on either of you to be married when you'll never love him as you should and he'll be oblivious until you boil over.

You raise some really good points, and they are things I have considered before. I do feel like I would be tons more happier in a relationship with a woman than with a man, but it is more like you mentioned - about how people used to stay together because it was the proper thing to do.

It's just nice to get other people's opinions, but yes, I do realise this is something that only I can decide. Thanks for your replies :smile:
Original post by homewrecker
I have discussed children with him and neither of us want children for quite a while, so that's not something I'm worried about. But thank you for putting my options in a much more coherent way, it helps having an outsider's pov. Like you say, option 2a is very doable, I just have to be prepared to not be very happy. Option 1, right now, is the last choice for me, and option 2A would probably be (selfish, but) the best outcome. I think she's react okay to that, but she does deserve better than being someone's mistress.

Which is why I think I am going to deal with both issues separately. I'll carry on being just friends with her. In the mean time I need to figure out what I'm doing about the marriage. Thanks for your reply, it really helped.

The thing about having a secret extra marital relationship with her is if your relationship works, eventually you could decide to leave your husband and risk your family's wrath.

Unfortunately this creates collateral damage for him and probably also for your family (much more public scandal).

A third option I didnt think of before is to come up with a good excuse why you cant marry this guy and call off (or delay) the wedding to buy yourself more time to develop your relationship with your friend. THis might anger your parents but they wont disown you (they wont know about your friend obviously). The risk is that you later feel compelled into another introduced marriage with a man who is less pleasant than the current guy, but on the plus side you get to explore option 1. without having to commit to it before hand and without as much collateral damage
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending