The Student Room Group

Most respected GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AbathaZoe
They weren't on the list that the OP posted, and besides, we all know what everyone's going to say about them anyway. xD

ohhh .. i didnt read the OP, different settings :colondollar:
* GCSEs
Reply 62
Quick Q:
What are all your opinions on the Double Award Business Studies GCSEs?
Original post by _jarv_
I'm going to list some GCSE's and I want you to type next to each one of them 1 of 5 things: Most respected, Highly respected, Somewhat respected, Softer, Complete mickey mouse:

r = respected
hr = highly respectly
s = soft

English (Lang) hr
English Literature hr
Maths hr
Science (Single) s
Science (Double) r
Science (Triple) hr
History hr
Geography r
I.T. s
Music s
Drama s
Art s
Food Technology s
Psychology s
Sociology s
Law s
Media s
Citizenship r
French hr
German hr

Original post by Mathbomb
Quick Q:

soft - take economics if u can
Reply 64
GCSE's aren't "respected" as such. Because they don't really mean anything once you're doing your A Levels. And colleges let you take A Levels you haven't done in GCSE, such as Geography or History, as long as you have good skills in related subjects. But you do get respected degrees and dosser ones.
Original post by Lunch_Box
r = respected
hr = highly respectly
s = soft

English (Lang) hr
English Literature hr
Maths hr
Science (Single) s
Science (Double) r
Science (Triple) hr
History hr
Geography r
I.T. s
Music s
Drama s
Art s
Food Technology s
Psychology s
Sociology s
Law s
Media s
Citizenship r
French hr
German hr

May I just say that single award Science is not soft. In my school, this was the only option available - there was no double or triple science. Someone I know who studied alongside me in single award science is now in their first year doing undergraduate medicine.
Original post by Mathbomb
Quick Q:

Two easy A*s
Reply 67
They're GCSEs, they aren't respected in the first place. They're just a stepping stone to other things. Just make sure you have a balance of subjects, and make sure if you want to take a subject on to A level that you take the GCSE.
Original post by myusername.
May I just say that single award Science is not soft. In my school, this was the only option available - there was no double or triple science. Someone I know who studied alongside me in single award science is now in their first year doing undergraduate medicine.

That person must have been very lucky or had exceptional AS UMS/PS/Interview; considering a lot of medical schools now require a bare minimum of double science, if not triple.
Original post by _jarv_
*Sigh* All I wanted was for people to label the subjects by the 5 criteria I listed. And yet the majority of this thread has turned into arguments. Why must this always happen on forums?

Jarv, you posted a thread on TSR with 'most respected' in the title ,ergo it will turn into the usual troll fest of TSR-ian middle class russell group wannabes who think 'vocational' is a dirty word...
Reply 70
Original post by myusername.

Science (Single) : Highly respected
Science (Double) : Highly respected

Single and double science 'highly respected'? You must be joking.
Original post by s.a.u
Single and double science 'highly respected'? You must be joking.

Unless your school offers the three 'named' seperate sciences... you'll be sitting both of these courses.

For 'high performing' pupils who are not going on to Level 3 science study with a view to STEM subjects in higher education CC or above in double award is perfectly reasonable.

Would you express the same view about people who did not do all three of Geography, History and R.E. / Ethics as 'full-sized' GCSEs ?

What about someone who didn't Do English Lang and Lit and two other languages at GSCE ?
There are no respected GCSEs. Easy qualification. I got 14 A*s and 1 A(fml on the A, had a bad day.)
Reply 73
Regarding those who are looking down on single and double science:

Do you not realise that many people are not even offered the choice of triple science?

When I did science (many years ago) we were only offered double. I got a DD because back then I was a different person who didn't even put the effort in. Now I am much more academic, have AAB in my A-Levels, and a Psychology degree at 2:1. It's because once I got older, I tried.

I am currently resitting gcse science. But I think it's only single award. Absolutely nothing else has been made available to me. I'd do double, or even triple if I could. But single award is all that's available, and the only one the college run. (I've wanted to resit gcse geography and history for years too, and they don't even run those!) So, if this means that people will look down on my grade in single science once I get it, even if it's a great grade, I consider that highly unfair. If you are not given any other opportunity, then what else can you do?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by zippyRN
Jarv, you posted a thread on TSR with 'most respected' in the title ,ergo it will turn into the usual troll fest of TSR-ian middle class russell group wannabes who think 'vocational' is a dirty word...

True. I guess I'm living in a dream world where people on the internet don't troll/insult as much. Oh well, maybe one day...
Reply 75
I wouldn't underestimate music as a GCSE. It shows you play an instrument to at last grade 5 without mentioning it in your personal statement and a breadth of understanding. It requires a lot of work! And good work to get high marks. Unless my teacher was just really bad...
Reply 76
Is it just me who wouldn't say is English Language is highly respected, it has to be one down from Lit.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 77
Original post by Cephalus
Ahh sorry, I forgot colouring in was such an academic discipline

You have no idea what your'e talking about... did you even take it at GCSE?
Reply 78
Original post by RobertWhite
I wouldn't underestimate music as a GCSE. It shows you play an instrument to at last grade 5 without mentioning it in your personal statement and a breadth of understanding. It requires a lot of work! And good work to get high marks. Unless my teacher was just really bad...

This is another gcse I've always wanted to do but none of my local colleges ran it :frown:

I learnt guitar after I left school, so never did gcse music. I am a prolific songwriter. It would be nice to get a gcse in music just to say I have it, but no college near me even runs it.
Reply 79
Original post by Ndella
You have no idea what your'e talking about... did you even take it at GCSE?

Of course I did.

Quick Reply

Latest