The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Interview at Manchester means they'll give me an offer?

I've heard that if they give you an interview (for chem), as it's with a visit day and everything, they've already decided that they'll give you an offer. Is this true or not?
Believe it or not, not all universities are the same.

OP, at my uni everyone who had interviews got offers at the same time (though none of us knew that before the interviews).

Doesn't mean anything about your case though, I imagine it's more course specific.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Some departments at Manchester do seem to have adopted interviews as a way of getting applicants to come and look around the university, and so that they can 'market' it to them. However, I would recommend not counting your chickens before they hatch - there's nothing to say that they have to give you a place, so you still need to take it seriously.
Reply 3
Original post by aWildPidgey
I've heard that if they give you an interview (for chem), as it's with a visit day and everything, they've already decided that they'll give you an offer. Is this true or not?

I've worked for the UCAS visit days for the chem department since my first year and I THINK the answer to that is yes, they have an offer ready for all the interviewees. I've not met one person who hasn't got an offer after their interview. But that's not to say that you can just say whatever, you've still got to be able to "pass" it...

These visit days are really just for you to get to know a bit more about the uni so that you can make an informed decision when choosing your firm choice.

You get taken on a tour of the campus and the building, get to talk to other students and academics.
Reply 4
The interview it more a get to know you and make sure you UCAS isn't a complete ver exaggeration of your abilities, it's not too intense more of a friendly chat.

I know this goes for maths and sciences not sure about other subjects where interpersonal skills are vital such as nursing etc
At my biology interview they said that there would probably be only 1-2 people, if any, in the room that didn't get an offer after their interview (of about 50 people). Obviously you have to show some degree of common sense at interview, but I couldn't answer one of the only science questions I got asked (the rest were extra curricula and my interests) and I was fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending