The Student Room Group

Is past papers the best form of revision?

EDIT: *Are, just realised the title doesn't even make sense lol

For biology and chemistry, I've finished making notes & revising unit 1 so I've been doing loads of past papers. I basically complete them under exam conditions, mark them, look at where I went wrong and make a note of it. Then, before I begin a new past paper, I read over all the previous mistakes I made to make sure I don't make the same ones. There are like 7 past papers available for AQA so I'm planning on doing each past paper 2-3 times. I did this same method at GCSE and went from a C to A*'s in all three sciences so I think it may work.

On top of past papers, we're revising in lessons and I'm doing questions I've made up myself as well on the things the past papers aren't testing me on. I already have mindmaps and flashcards for chemistry & biology too. For maths there are 13 past papers available for unit 1 so I was planning on doing all 13 past papers once & then moving onto solomon papers?

I need A's in biology, chemistry & maths, so what do you think of this method?
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think its an excellent method. But you dont have to ask other people, as long as it works for you
Reply 2
A simple word. Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
The best type of the revision is what works best for you. In this it is doing past papers :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
I use the same method as you for my AS exams. Did the same at GCSE too and it seemed to work.

However, I have been warned that at AS level, the questions get more complex, so they may well ask something very similar but in a complete different way, and if you do not understand the core principle, you could be caught out.

Unlike GCSE, if you couldn't understand it, you'd simply remember the mark scheme answer, but its not the case with AS.
Yes, I found that was the best method to revise by, particularly for sciences/maths. I went from a D in one paper to full UMS after a focussed week doing all of the past papers in the way you described. :biggrin:
Yup past papers are a very good (IMO best) method of revision.
Reply 7
For GCSE/A Level yes as they're more about passing exams then understanding unfortunately.
One of the best forms of revision in my opinion
Reply 9
Also if you have a subject like history or economics, you could devise your own exam questions if you run out of pass papers, like a question about a specific period then find sources of evidence and kaboom.

Only once you're done with pass papers though, since they are the official ones.
Reply 10
Original post by Magenta96
For biology and chemistry, I've finished making notes & revising unit 1 so I've been doing loads of past papers. I basically complete them under exam conditions, mark them, look at where I went wrong and make a note of it. Then, before I begin a new past paper, I read over all the previous mistakes I made to make sure I don't make the same ones. There are like 7 past papers available for AQA so I'm planning on doing each past paper 2-3 times. I did this same method at GCSE and went from a C to A*'s in all three sciences so I think it may work.

On top of past papers, we're revising in lessons and I'm doing questions I've made up myself as well on the things the past papers aren't testing me on. I already have mindmaps and flashcards for chemistry & biology too. For maths there are 13 past papers available for unit 1 so I was planning on doing all 13 past papers once & then moving onto solomon papers?

I need A's in biology, chemistry & maths, so what do you think of this method?

Personally, I think I'd do the solomon papers first for maths, since they're harder than the past papers. This way, I'd then find the past papers and the exam easy. :smile:
I think the best is writing answers to questions and fill in any knowledge i think that comes up that i didnt know
Reply 12
Also, do you think that it's better to do for example, 20 different past papers and NOT repeat them, or do 10 past papers & repeat them to see if you've improved from your mistakes.

There's so many past papers available for my subjects, I'm not sure if I should be repeating previous past papers I've done, to see if I've improved or have just completely forgotten about my mistake or just scrap that idea and do as many papers as I can
Reply 13
HELL TO THE YES!!

- That is what got me my A in chemistry!
Reply 14
Original post by burnatte4
HELL TO THE YES!!

- That is what got me my A in chemistry!

well done on your A! Did you focus more on repeating past papers you'd already done to see improvement or did you just go through as many as you could, once?
Reply 15
well done on your A! Did you focus more on repeating past papers you'd already done to see improvement or did you just go through as many as you could, once?

Thank you! I worked hard for it. - I went through as many past papers as I could first, but I did them timed and with no resources.then I marked them all!

- Then afterwards, all the ones I had failed, i would revise those topics and do the past-papers again.

With chemistry, I find that you have to be good at maths and have a good logical brain otherwise it can be very difficult to grasp. What other a-levels do you do?
Reply 16
Thank you! I worked hard for it. - I went through as many past papers as I could first, but I did them timed and with no resources.then I marked them all!

- Then afterwards, all the ones I had failed, i would revise those topics and do the past-papers again.

With chemistry, I find that you have to be good at maths and have a good logical brain otherwise it can be very difficult to grasp. What other a-levels do you do?

I do biology, chemistry, maths and English literature
Reply 17
I do biology, chemistry, maths and English literature

That's quite a good range. what are you planning on doing at uni?
I do Biology, chemistry, economics and history. loving chemistry at a2, its so challenging, but i love a good challenge :smile:

- what other revision techniques have you tried? I've heard that doing posters and mindmaps is a good way to revise.
Reply 18
It all depends on if it works for you, I don't mind doing them. It works for me
Reply 19
That's quite a good range. what are you planning on doing at uni?
I do Biology, chemistry, economics and history. loving chemistry at a2, its so challenging, but i love a good challenge :smile:

- what other revision techniques have you tried? I've heard that doing posters and mindmaps is a good way to revise.

Before I started past papers and was learning content, I read through a topic, made notes, answered all the textbook questions on the topic and we were tested on that topic in class using actual past paper questions. I also made mind maps at the end of each topic to summarise my knowledge and used sticky notes to write key formulas on which I then stuck on the relevant revision guide page.

I've been through like 8 past papers so far & intend on doing them all again, my teacher's given us like 10 thick booklets with more questions on that he's got from somewhere so I'll probably go through all those too... It's going to be one long xmas holiday :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending