The Student Room Group

My "Getting ripped for summer" blog!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a10
Dead lifts on free bar or dead lifts using smith machine? xD

If you got barbells why bother with the Smith machine for anything? It's good for inverted rows and shrugs and little else...unless you have an injury.
Would make it easier to understand if the weights were written in kgs rather than lbs. Otherwise good progress :biggrin:
Reply 22
Original post by a10
Dead lifts on free bar or dead lifts using smith machine? xD

Always use free bar. Stay away from Smith machine.
Reply 23
Original post by 419

okay thx bro :wink: though when im doing squats i use the smith machine because the gym is small and so u can't use the straight bar for squats unless you have a spotter. Squats are good on the smith machine since u clip on the bar if u feel like giving up...

For deadlifts tho i will just use straight bar.
Reply 24
Today's session: Squats and Triceps

Squats

Set 1 (72kg) : 10 reps

Set 2 (72kg) : 10 reps

Set 3 (72kg) : 8 reps

Set 4 (72kg) : 9 reps

Hard but aswomee :biggrin:

Triceps

Cable push downs

Set 1 (44kg) : 8 reps

Set 2 (44kg) : 8 reps

Set 3 (44kg) : 8 reps

Set 4 (44kg) : 8 reps

Over head cable extension

Set 1 (40kg) : 8 reps

Set 2 (40kg) : 8 reps

Set 3 (40kg) : 8 reps

Set 4 (40kg): 6 reps

Very hard :redface:!

Tricep Dips

Set 1 : 7 reps

Set 2 : 8 reps

Set 3: 8 reps

Done! The pump was insane
Reply 25
Looking forward to following this!
Reply 26
Original post by Tarra
Looking forward to following this!

haha aswome :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Today's work out: Shoulders,Chest and Abs

Shoulders :Over head press

Set 1 (35lbs warmup set) : 8 reps

Set 2 (87.5lbs): 8 reps

Set 3 (87.5lbs) : 8 reps

Set 4 (87.5lbs) : 6 reps

Last two sets were hard.

Straight bar (full range press)

Set 1 (30kg) : 8 reps

Set 2 (30kg) : 8 reps

Set 3 (30kg) : 8 reps

Set 4 (30kg) : 7 reps

Was okay not too hard not too easy.

Chest : flat bench

Set 1 (45lbs) : 8 reps

Set 2 (45lbs) : 8 reps

Set 3 (40lbs) : 6 reps

Set 4 (35lbs) : 5 reps

Shoulders were tired so it was hard :redface:

Incline bench

Set 1 (40lbs) : 8 reps

Set 2 (40lbs) : 7 reps

Set 3 (35 lbs) : 5 reps

Hard and muscles were already tiring :angry:

Chest press

Set 1 (110lbs) : 6 reps

Set 2 (110lbs) : 7 reps

Set 3 (110lbs) : 5 reps

Chest was burning :lol:

Abs

Medicine ball sit-ups: 15 reps, 10 reps

Twisting sit-ups :10 reps, 10 reps

Bicycle sit-ups: till failure

Stretching then done. Wasnt feeling great today but hey least I got the workout done.
Reply 28
Original post by 419

Rate my progress guys!(out of 10 how is it?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Hustler-1337
Would make it easier to understand if the weights were written in kgs rather than lbs. Otherwise good progress :biggrin:

Rate my progress outta 10 bro
Reply 30
Original post by areebmazhar
Yeah

Rate my progress guys (out of 10)
Reply 31
Original post by silent ninja
If you got barbells why bother with the Smith machine for anything? It's good for inverted rows and shrugs and little else...unless you have an injury.

Rate my progress guys, pic is above xD
Original post by a10
Rate my progress guys (out of 10)

The angles hard to judge from and we can't see your legs either. You're doing quite good for a beginner and you're relatively lean as well. Just remember 'progress' depends on where you started from to where you are now :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by areebmazhar
The angles hard to judge from and we can't see your legs either. You're doing quite good for a beginner and you're relatively lean as well. Just remember 'progress' depends on where you started from to where you are now :smile:

Haha I was wayyy skinny before this is the best shape iv ever been xD I'll try get leg shots and post them :tongue:
Reply 34
Good job on starting to get fit! I also started to work out to look good, but it's an addiction i tell ya!

Just a few things that I would change if I was you, I wouldn't do squats with triceps because they don't really do much there, set a day aside for legs and do all dem tings, squats, lunges, quad extensions, deads, calf raises and something for the hammies.... also if you really like your leg day throw in some presses. Learn to love leg day :-)

Aside from that, and on a personal preference level, I would do triceps and chest on the same day, since most of the chest exercices require you to use your triceps anyway, it works out quite well together, so a chest and tris day would look like: db bench, db incline, cable flys and weighed dips (20 kg plate or so), then tri pulldown, skull crushers, tri extension and single arm tri extension.

OH and don't work out your abs every workout.... you wouldn't do chest every time you're at the gym, right? why is it any different with abs? All you're doing is overtraining and thus preventing them from adequately recovering and developing..... roughly work them out every three days.

Beyond that, make sure you're eating both a caloric and protein surplus so that you have enough 'fuel' for a) your workouts and b) to grow...... don't try eat 1600 Kcal a day so that you can develop 'lean muscle' it just doesn't work like that - not on a 6 month basis anyways. you should be aiming the 2500 kcal - 3000 kcal if you're really looking to bulk....
Reply 35
Original post by ppm91
Good job on starting to get fit! I also started to work out to look good, but it's an addiction i tell ya!

Just a few things that I would change if I was you, I wouldn't do squats with triceps because they don't really do much there, set a day aside for legs and do all dem tings, squats, lunges, quad extensions, deads, calf raises and something for the hammies.... also if you really like your leg day throw in some presses. Learn to love leg day :-)

Aside from that, and on a personal preference level, I would do triceps and chest on the same day, since most of the chest exercices require you to use your triceps anyway, it works out quite well together, so a chest and tris day would look like: db bench, db incline, cable flys and weighed dips (20 kg plate or so), then tri pulldown, skull crushers, tri extension and single arm tri extension.

OH and don't work out your abs every workout.... you wouldn't do chest every time you're at the gym, right? why is it any different with abs? All you're doing is overtraining and thus preventing them from adequately recovering and developing..... roughly work them out every three days.

Beyond that, make sure you're eating both a caloric and protein surplus so that you have enough 'fuel' for a) your workouts and b) to grow...... don't try eat 1600 Kcal a day so that you can develop 'lean muscle' it just doesn't work like that - not on a 6 month basis anyways. you should be aiming the 2500 kcal - 3000 kcal if you're really looking to bulk....

i go to the gym every other 2-3 days thats why i do abs its far enough time for them to recover. My macros/diet is good. Also how many calories you eat is dependent on ur BW. As for leg day mmm yeahh i agree i should probably do all my leg excersises on the same day i do squats.
Reply 36
Original post by a10
i go to the gym every other 2-3 days thats why i do abs its far enough time for them to recover. My macros/diet is good. Also how many calories you eat is dependent on ur BW. As for leg day mmm yeahh i agree i should probably do all my leg excersises on the same day i do squats.

Fair enough on the abs, I used to work them out every two or three days too, but lately i've dropped it down to once a week and if anything -aesthetics wise - they have gotten better (but, as i imagine you know, 80% of abs are made in the kitchen... it's just dropping to the right body fat %).

With regard to calories, yes yes it's true its dependent how how tall, big, lean, etc, etc you are and want to be, but the fact of the matter is that you have to be eating a caloric and protein surplus to gain size (if that's what you want).... even when i'm on my cutting cycle I'm still at 2500 Kcal or so and you can definitely see good definition on abs, obliques, etc.
Reply 37
Original post by ppm91
Fair enough on the abs, I used to work them out every two or three days too, but lately i've dropped it down to once a week and if anything -aesthetics wise - they have gotten better (but, as i imagine you know, 80% of abs are made in the kitchen... it's just dropping to the right body fat %).

With regard to calories, yes yes it's true its dependent how how tall, big, lean, etc, etc you are and want to be, but the fact of the matter is that you have to be eating a caloric and protein surplus to gain size (if that's what you want).... even when i'm on my cutting cycle I'm still at 2500 Kcal or so and you can definitely see good definition on abs, obliques, etc.

the thing that annoys me with diet is that it takes far too much time to measure all these calories and know what to eat each day far too much time so i end up just eating anything healthy and avoiding any junk i end up having small medium sized portions each time and usually i consume 4 meals a day sometimes 5.
Reply 38
Original post by a10
the thing that annoys me with diet is that it takes far too much time to measure all these calories and know what to eat each day far too much time so i end up just eating anything healthy and avoiding any junk i end up having small medium sized portions each time and usually i consume 4 meals a day sometimes 5.

Make yourself an account at myfitnesspal.com and if you have a smartphone download the app and link it to your account.... it takes literally seconds to note down what you've eaten and it lists it and adds it all up for you, and alongside that you can enter what exercise you've done and for how long (running, lifting, etc) and if estimates how much you've used up, so all and all it's great for knowing what you're getting!!!

As a foodie I can safely say, I know how annoying it is to be monitoring everything (or most things) you eat, but if you want the best results you really do have to look at what you're eating and what it brings to your body. Also if you're looking to gain size, don't worry TOO MUCH about diet and focus on eating protein and getting protein into your body within 30 minutes after your workout (as that is when your body 'craves' protein... if you're interested in this stuff and learning about protein synthesis and all that jazz watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=mjmV8BlsJTQ&feature=endscreen )

Just on a side note, you might want to consider doing a bulking and cutting cycle before summer.... it's what i'm doing right now and i'm quite enjoying the benefits, it's also a ton of fun seeing how much more you lift when you're 'bulking'. So you get an idea, i went from db benching with 28 kgs to 40 kgs in three weeks - i'm now doing it with 45kgs aiming to get to 47.5s soon! But i've gone off on a tangent.... yes it does pay off to know exactly what you're eating.
Reply 39
Original post by ppm91
Make yourself an account at myfitnesspal.com and if you have a smartphone download the app and link it to your account.... it takes literally seconds to note down what you've eaten and it lists it and adds it all up for you, and alongside that you can enter what exercise you've done and for how long (running, lifting, etc) and if estimates how much you've used up, so all and all it's great for knowing what you're getting!!!

As a foodie I can safely say, I know how annoying it is to be monitoring everything (or most things) you eat, but if you want the best results you really do have to look at what you're eating and what it brings to your body. Also if you're looking to gain size, don't worry TOO MUCH about diet and focus on eating protein and getting protein into your body within 30 minutes after your workout (as that is when your body 'craves' protein... if you're interested in this stuff and learning about protein synthesis and all that jazz watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=mjmV8BlsJTQ&feature=endscreen )

Just on a side note, you might want to consider doing a bulking and cutting cycle before summer.... it's what i'm doing right now and i'm quite enjoying the benefits, it's also a ton of fun seeing how much more you lift when you're 'bulking'. So you get an idea, i went from db benching with 28 kgs to 40 kgs in three weeks - i'm now doing it with 45kgs aiming to get to 47.5s soon! But i've gone off on a tangent.... yes it does pay off to know exactly what you're eating.

Is it free? I hate ones u have to pay for. I'll try it out thanks :smile:

P.s i already know all that stuff about bulking, cutting , diet etc

Quick Reply

Latest