The Student Room Group

Gap year or No?

Im in my third year of college now and im applying for engineering at some universities, and i have the most important exams in january so if i do well in them im already halfway there to university...the only thing is im getting really sick of doing work all the time as you can imagine its quite stressful finishing secondary school then already working your ass off again to go to university where they will be more workload but i suppose a lot better since its not 100% exam (well for engineering anyway)its 50% coursework and 50% exam but i just feel like i need a break from education its stressful i feel like i should spend some time looking at life at a whole perhaps doing something while im not in education. The thing is tho my parents REALLY want me to go to university so i dont know what to do really. My mind tells me i should just work hard and make it to university and just finish the degree but my other mind says im fed up of education (for now) and just need a break from things.

I would like to travel somewhere or live somewhere else (like america or australia) would be nice but i dont know hw i could go about getting there if i did decide to take a gap year..

I dont know tbh what are people's opinions??
If you want a break from education, then go for it. It will do you good in the long term. I'm sure your parents are capable of accepting that you will still go to university, just a year later.

I wrote a FAQ about getting work permits for Australia (it's really easy, they're called Working Holiday Visas) and the link is in my signature, so you might like to have a look at that.

PS are you from Bristol / nearby? Just because of the thread title ....
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you want a break from education, then go for it. It will do you good in the long term. I'm sure your parents are capable of accepting that you will still go to university, just a year later.

I wrote a FAQ about getting work permits for Australia (it's really easy, they're called Working Holiday Visas) and the link is in my signature, so you might like to have a look at that.

PS are you from Bristol / nearby? Just because of the thread title ....

What did u do wen u wer in Australia? I'm seriously thinking about a break or doing a sandwich year then spending one of the years abroad maybe. I'll need a job first to save up money. Edit: I live up north
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by a10
What did u do wen u wer in Australia? I'm seriously thinking about a break or doing a sandwich year then spending one of the years abroad maybe. I'll need a job first to save up money. Edit: I live up north

A combination of travel (East Coast and Red Centre) and working (hospitality industry, Brisbane). The normal thing for people to do is to get a job to save up for travel during the first half of the gap year, and then go travelling for the second half. Start (seriously) looking for a job as soon as you finish your A Levels though.

I only wondered because saying "or no" at the end of a sentence rather than "or not" is a really classic Bristolianism!
Reply 4
Just do it.

I was in the same position as you and my Dad was reticent about 'allowing' me to take a gap year. I thought screw it, it's my life as an adult, I wouldn't be asking him to fund me at all and I'll actually enjoy my time.

I now have several short film projects lined up and after working full time for 6 months, in Feb I will be going travelling to work in an orphanage in Romania and then on to Iceland, and hopefully temporarily relocating to London!

I think, as long as you are realistic in what you want to do in your Gap Year and aren't asking for massive amounts of support, you should just do it.
Reply 5
Original post by Origami Bullets
A combination of travel (East Coast and Red Centre) and working (hospitality industry, Brisbane). The normal thing for people to do is to get a job to save up for travel during the first half of the gap year, and then go travelling for the second half. Start (seriously) looking for a job as soon as you finish your A Levels though.

I only wondered because saying "or no" at the end of a sentence rather than "or not" is a really classic Bristolianism!

Hahaha I clearly have some bristolianism traits within me :wink: !! Yeahh I'm seriously thinking about it I may do it. I'm assuming u met new friends through work etc since u isn't go with friends?
Reply 6
Original post by linney
Just do it.

I was in the same position as you and my Dad was reticent about 'allowing' me to take a gap year. I thought screw it, it's my life as an adult, I wouldn't be asking him to fund me at all and I'll actually enjoy my time.

I now have several short film projects lined up and after working full time for 6 months, in Feb I will be going travelling to work in an orphanage in Romania and then on to Iceland, and hopefully temporarily relocating to London!

I think, as long as you are realistic in what you want to do in your Gap Year and aren't asking for massive amounts of support, you should just do it.

Wow that sounds amazing, I think I would want to do something engineering related (like going to third world countries) helping do work there learning new engineering skills etc since its the profession I would like to do. Either that it just completely go out and have fun abroad stay at a place for 5-6 months and come back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending