The Student Room Group

Retaking GCSE and A levels?

Ill try to make this as short as I can. I buggered up GCSE maths, I learnt how I learnt right at the end of the year so that's how I got my C I was actually meant to get a F so I think I did pretty well. I'm currently doing Btec art and design because I had to drop out of A levels due to anxiety and panic attacks. I'd love to redo my maths exam at higher and get maybe a B or something. I would just study at home and do it in my free time and then take the exam. After that I'd also like to do A levels again, but study at home and just do the exams! I'd like to do maths, business and ICT, I'd also like to do photography but I don't know how that would work if I'm just doing it at home.

Would I be able to do this? And how much money would I be looking at? Thank you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Bump

Reply 2
Anyone?

Reply 3
Original post by _Shmiley
Ill try to make this as short as I can. I buggered up GCSE maths, I learnt how I learnt right at the end of the year so that's how I got my C I was actually meant to get a F so I think I did pretty well. I'm currently doing Btec art and design because I had to drop out of A levels due to anxiety and panic attacks. I'd love to redo my maths exam at higher and get maybe a B or something. I would just study at home and do it in my free time and then take the exam. After that I'd also like to do A levels again, but study at home and just do the exams! I'd like to do maths, business and ICT, I'd also like to do photography but I don't know how that would work if I'm just doing it at home.

Would I be able to do this? And how much money would I be looking at? Thank you.

Yes you can, you just need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate. As you want to take all the exams in the same season you need to choose a linear (as opposed to modular) syllabus. There is barely any difference between the exam boards' content so find a centre to accept you and choose which ever exam board they do. The entry deadline for the summer is 21 Feb for AQA and OCR and 21 March for Edexcel but centres will have earlier internal deadlines to meet these dates so get looking in early Jan. There is advice on all the exam boards websites for private candidates including possible centres- have a look.

As far as A levels go, photography and (probably) ICT would not be possible at home because of the high % of coursework. Maths and Business have none are are often studied by private candidates.
Reply 4
Original post by Data
Yes you can, you just need to find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate. As you want to take all the exams in the same season you need to choose a linear (as opposed to modular) syllabus. There is barely any difference between the exam boards' content so find a centre to accept you and choose which ever exam board they do. The entry deadline for the summer is 21 Feb for AQA and OCR and 21 March for Edexcel but centres will have earlier internal deadlines to meet these dates so get looking in early Jan. There is advice on all the exam boards websites for private candidates including possible centres- have a look.

As far as A levels go, photography and (probably) ICT would not be possible at home because of the high % of coursework. Maths and Business have none are are often studied by private candidates.

I'm not bothered about taking them all in the same season. The A levels yes, but not GCSE and the a levels at the same time.

I was also wondering, if I did the exams in my old school (they do accept private candidates because I've seen 30 year olds in the exam hall) would I get the same access arrangements if I asked? I did all my exams in a smaller room with around 3 other people because I got such bad panic attacks, would I be unable to do this as I'm not a student? Or is it up to their discretion?

Reply 5
Original post by _Shmiley
I was also wondering, if I did the exams in my old school (they do accept private candidates because I've seen 30 year olds in the exam hall) would I get the same access arrangements if I asked? I did all my exams in a smaller room with around 3 other people because I got such bad panic attacks, would I be unable to do this as I'm not a student? Or is it up to their discretion

If you are a private candidate then you have to pay for what you get, and even then things like a small room may depend on whether they have invigilators spare for it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Data
If you are a private candidate then you have to pay for what you get, and even then things like a small room may depend on whetehr they have invigilators spare for ti.

They always have smaller rooms and invigilators (very large special needs department for my old school, people send their kids from miles to go to my old school because they help a lot with dyslexia and other learning needs) ill go in on monday and ask my old head of year and see what he says about it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending