The Student Room Group

Criminal Law exam

Hi, I am in first year of Uni and I just wanted to know when you answer criminal law questions do you know how to format the answer of the questions?

Any advise as a whole.. I didn't get told anything about how to answer exam questions and it is my first time.

Thanks
Reply 1
Are these essay questions or problem questions?

For essays it's just like any other subject. You need an introduction to start off the essay, then each paragraph should make a point, explain it, bring in evidence to support it and then link back to the original question. You then need a conclusion at the end which sums up your points and answers the question.

For problem questions you first need to identify the offence and give the definition and where that definition comes from. You then work through the elements of the actus reus, discussing whether the element has been met or not according to the facts you have and using cases to support your answer. Next do the same for the mens rea and then discuss any defences which could be raised from what is said in the question. At the end you need to conlude if the person is likely to be found guilty or not guilty.

Quick Reply

Latest