The Student Room Group

Acca accountancy

Hey guys,

I'm in my second year of a levels studying Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

Later on, I want to become an accountant, preferably a Chartered one.

If anyone wants to do accountancy and does not want to go to uni, a good option is to go the ACCA route. Its the route I'm taking on.

It's an approximately 2 and a half year route where you go to an accountancy college to do your exams. It consists of 14 exams and the end result is becoming a chartered accountant. So after my a levels, I will be going to an accountancy college and become chartered by the time I'm 20 :smile:

It's a quicker and much cheaper way of becoming a Chartered Accountant.

Let me know if anyone needs more information.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm actually going to put some more stuff into the mix.

In fact, you cannot complete your qualification in 2.5 years. You need three years (or 36 months) field experience. For ACCA you will need to complete the nine Essentials and at least four Options, however this does not necessarily need to be a full time position.

ACCA is not the only qualification - ACA and CIMA are equally good.

You do not have to go to any educational establishment - you can study all of these qualifications at home - many tuition providers allow distance learning (e.g. Kaplan) or you can simply buy the textbooks (either from establishments like Kaplan or the ones written by the institutes).

If you want a really cheap way of doing it, go to a company who will sponsor you through tuition and exams.

Let me know if you need any more information.
Reply 2
When I rang a few colleges to give me information on their courses they told me it's going to be 2.5 years. That's if I do 3 papers at a go.
My dads an accountant with his own firm so my target is to take over and manage the business and therefore I do not want to find a firm which will pay for my fees.
I went to the Deloitte open day and they gave me loads of information as to what accountancy is and how it will benefit, I liked the idea of their apprenticeship but the school leavers programme takes 5 years. I personally think that's too long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Varisha19
When I rang a few colleges to give me information on their courses they told me it's going to be 2.5 years. That's if I do 3 papers at a go.
My dads an accountant with his own firm so my target is to take over and manage the business and therefore I do not want to find a firm which will pay for my fees.
I went to the Deloitte open day and they gave me loads of information as to what accountancy is and how it will benefit, I liked the idea of their apprenticeship but the school leavers programme takes 5 years. I personally think that's too long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can complete the exams in 2.5 years, but you cannot qualify.

You don't necessarily have to stay with a company after you have qualified with them. Many will have something about it written into their contracts (mine actually doesn't!) but you will have plenty of time to take over the business afterwards.

Every route to qualification has advantages and disadvantages, it is all about making the right choice for you and that can vary from person to person.
Reply 4
Original post by Ice_Queen
You can complete the exams in 2.5 years, but you cannot qualify.

You don't necessarily have to stay with a company after you have qualified with them. Many will have something about it written into their contracts (mine actually doesn't!) but you will have plenty of time to take over the business afterwards.

Every route to qualification has advantages and disadvantages, it is all about making the right choice for you and that can vary from person to person.

Hello Ice Queen

Can I start it now and sit the F1/F2/F3 in June? Is it difficult? Can you give me please your personal opinion about the ACCA qualification? And do you have any recommendation on centers where I could study it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by farfalla
Hello Ice Queen

Can I start it now and sit the F1/F2/F3 in June? Is it difficult? Can you give me please your personal opinion about the ACCA qualification? And do you have any recommendation on centers where I could study it?

I agree!! This would be really helpful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hello Ice Queen

I agree!! This would be really helpful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good afternoon both!

You could theoretically do that, but most people sit two papers at a time. Studying for more than that would be very difficult and you'd have a squeeze as you don't have long. Remember it takes three years to qualify so you can take your exams two by two, you don't have to get them all done in the first two sittings :tongue:

It is a very good qualification and will open up a lot of doors. ACCA will give you the option of practice or industry if you're not sure what you want to do yet (ACCA and ACA are more common in practice than CIMA), and ACCA is well suited to many specialities (e.g. forensic, audit, tax).

It depends on your learning style. I have friends that have studied with Kaplan and BPP, I have friends that studied entirely by themselves (a difficult path!). I am not attending a 'centre' per se. I suggest you get lots of opinions from current students.

Anything else, just ask :smile:
Reply 7
Good afternoon both!

You could theoretically do that, but most people sit two papers at a time. Studying for more than that would be very difficult and you'd have a squeeze as you don't have long. Remember it takes three years to qualify so you can take your exams two by two, you don't have to get them all done in the first two sittings :tongue:

It is a very good qualification and will open up a lot of doors. ACCA will give you the option of practice or industry if you're not sure what you want to do yet (ACCA and ACA are more common in practice than CIMA), and ACCA is well suited to many specialities (e.g. forensic, audit, tax).

It depends on your learning style. I have friends that have studied with Kaplan and BPP, I have friends that studied entirely by themselves (a difficult path!). I am not attending a 'centre' per se. I suggest you get lots of opinions from current students.

Thank you very much for your advice!!

Also I'm great at math, analytic and logic tasks but I'm really bad at essay writing and memorising. Does ACCA include a lot of memorising?
What would you say are the main skills required to succeed in it?
Reply 8
Good afternoon both!

Do you enjoy what your doing or is it a bore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Thank you very much for your advice!!

Also I'm great at math, analytic and logic tasks but I'm really bad at essay writing and memorising. Does ACCA include a lot of memorising?
What would you say are the main skills required to succeed in it?

Memorising pro-formas and notes are extremely important. You may get into the exam and be asked to draw up a statement of comprehensive income including lots of tweaks such as goods in transit. Contrary to intuition, accounting doesn't have that much math; the majority is arithmetic for which most is done using a calculator :p: You can use logic to work out why some things are treated like they are, but memorisation is really the only way to do it. I am awful at memorisation as well though, just do loads of past papers, constant application is the way to do it.

Essay writing will feature to some extent, but it will depend on your Options; you should look at some past papers. Remember you're only in the exam hall for a couple of hours, there is a limit to how much they can make you write!

The main skills to succeed are probably the ability to hold numbers and positions in your head, multi-tasking as it were, enjoying what you do (it's a tough course, you're really not going to be able to make it if you do it half-heartedly).

Do you enjoy what your doing or is it a bore?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I enjoy what I do. Sometimes it is enough to make me tear my hair out, but I wouldn't be able to succeed if I didn't want it with my soul. I am a rare person in that I have never wanted to do anything else, I don't remember ever wanting a different career, right from the age of about ten. Some people can succeed without that drive, but it makes it easier if you have it!

Jessica
Reply 10

....My dads an accountant with his own firm....

I know this is off topic but I got to ask, is your dad employing/thinking of employing some ACCA's in Finance Dept?

Sorry for interupting :smile:
Hey guys,

I'm in my second year of a levels studying Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

Later on, I want to become an accountant, preferably a Chartered one.

If anyone wants to do accountancy and does not want to go to uni, a good option is to go the ACCA route. Its the route I'm taking on.

It's an approximately 2 and a half year route where you go to an accountancy college to do your exams. It consists of 14 exams and the end result is becoming a chartered accountant. So after my a levels, I will be going to an accountancy college and become chartered by the time I'm 20 :smile:

It's a quicker and much cheaper way of becoming a Chartered Accountant.

Let me know if anyone needs more information.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you do this qualification online via distance learning? If so, do you know where?
Reply 12
Original post by porcelainwhite
Can you do this qualification online via distance learning? If so, do you know where?

http://www.accaglobal.com/en/qualifications/why-acca/study.html
Reply 13
I enjoy what I do. Sometimes it is enough to make me tear my hair out, but I wouldn't be able to succeed if I didn't want it with my soul. I am a rare person in that I have never wanted to do anything else, I don't remember ever wanting a different career, right from the age of about ten. Some people can succeed without that drive, but it makes it easier if you have it!

Jessica

Thank you for all the help Jessica, are you looking to go into industry or practice?

And also, a general question to all. Anyone know anywhere/anyone to contact for work experience?

Varisha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jessica

Thank you for all the help Jessica, are you looking to go into industry or practice?

And also, a general question to all. Anyone know anywhere/anyone to contact for work experience?

Varisha

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is quite alright, any questions just give me a shout!

I am looking to work in industry, I have always disliked the idea of practice but it is horses for courses.

For work experience, just contact as many people as possible :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
What do you think about the 3 year program at KPMG studying AAT level 2,3 and 4 in addition to working for them? I'm thinking of that, I have already got a level 2 in AAT. Should I go into university and study accounts or find an institution to finish of my AAT. Current I'm in my final year at college studying accounts, maths and business.
Reply 16
Original post by Jabz257
What do you think about the 3 year program at KPMG studying AAT level 2,3 and 4 in addition to working for them? I'm thinking of that, I have already got a level 2 in AAT. Should I go into university and study accounts or find an institution to finish of my AAT. Current I'm in my final year at college studying accounts, maths and business.

The KPMG didn't really appeal to me.. The Delloitte one did nut it is such a tough course to get into. And that's the same problem I'm having. Is not going to uni the wrong choice? I just don't know and I'm in a big dilemma!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
hi guys,
I understand where you are coming from. Actually, I'm studying ACCA at Lionbrook business school (based in Leicester) after A level. I really thankful to my institute who provide me so good study technique and tuition that I have passed my exam in very good marks. They provide me Low tuition fees, free Pass Guarantee,free Apple ipad, Kaplan study text and exam kit, Their own study materials, slides, revision & mock exam + Work experience (where I have learn how to prepare accounts and tax returns) and also 20% discount. More over they provide ACCA qualification, along with the Bsc (Hons) degree in association with Oxford Brookes University in 2and half year.so according to me institute is best and better, if you want to save your time and money.
Does anyone know what the highest level of AAT is and if you can start the highest level without completing previous levels. I ask this because I am in my last year of college looking to do a apprenticeship/school leaver program and as I am predicted only 240 ucas points, I cant really apply to schemes that accounting companies like Deloitte,Pwc etc offer, so I can only apply to smaller companies offering apprenticeships with lower requirements. Do you think smaller companies will let you to study the highest AAT level without doing previous levels and do you know long it can take to then go on to study ACCA.
Its great to hear how enthusiastic people are about their accountancy courses, just wondering what you all plan to do once qualified? For me, Im studying CIMA and if I make it all the way to Chartered, Id like to be a financial director one day but there seems a lot of options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending