The Student Room Group

What should I do about my fees? I want to attend! :(

I'm an international student who has gotten into King's College London. It was one of my biggest dreams to study somewhere out from my country! This is because I wanted to experience a new life and my parents have abandoned me as well. I have no one who could assist me financially for my college fees. My total international fees for my course is 14,000pounds.
It is a massive amount for me at least I have been disowned by my family and I have to take care of all of my future financial expenses, no matter how big they are! I have to.
There is this scholarship at Desmond tutu scholarship but I am not sure if I am going to get it cause they give only three and thousands of people are applying for it!
Please help me and assist me!

- Is there any possiblity of getting loan from any UK bank as my country's bank don't provide me loan?
- can i work and earn this much? HOW?
-any other?

ELVIS- Nigeria
Original post by neha123456
I'm an international student who has gotten into King's College London. It was one of my biggest dreams to study somewhere out from my country! This is because I wanted to experience a new life and my parents have abandoned me as well. I have no one who could assist me financially for my college fees. My total international fees for my course is 14,000pounds.
It is a massive amount for me at least I have been disowned by my family and I have to take care of all of my future financial expenses, no matter how big they are! I have to.
There is this scholarship at Desmond tutu scholarship but I am not sure if I am going to get it cause they give only three and thousands of people are applying for it!

- Is there any possiblity of getting loan from any UK bank as my country's bank don't provide me loan?
-any other?

ELVIS- Nigeria

Hi Elvis :smile:

Which course did you apply to? Maybe e-mail King's and tell them about your current financial situation? I think they'll be able to tell you more about possibilities of scholarships. I'm not sure whether international students are allowed to take loans from banks - I'm a EU student myself and I can take the same tuition fee loan as the UK students so I've never actually dig any information about internationals...
Reply 2
You wouldn't be able to work to earn that much per year. It's recommended (at least where I was) that you work no more than 16 hours a week. I'm also sure that non-EU students have a limit on how many hours they can work per week.
Reply 3
Original post by neha123456

-any other?

ELVIS- Nigeria

Me and my best friend are both international students, we both work as a waitress part-time (20-25hrs a week) in an upscale london restaurant and make enough to pay for university and housing. However, it is extremely tight, rushed, and overall unenjoyable. I value education extremely, and believe three years of this relative suffering will be worth it after I graduate so I don't mind it as much. But it is not easy, and I am always sleep deprived and tired. But if it's your dream, and considering how much opportunities will be opened up for you, then I would say to try. Also, I highly recommend emailing the school and seeing what options are available as bursaries are usually present for ivy league schools such as LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending