The Student Room Group

MEI FP2 discussion thread 14/01/13

Hello all,

Couldn't find an existing thread for this exam so decided to create one :smile: wanted to gauge people's thoughts towards it - I agree that it's a tough paper and the hour and a half time limit can be a bitch, but the questions always seem to follow the same basic layout...

Anyway, if anybody has any questions post them here and I or any other friendly presence shall attempt to give assistance :smile: also feel free to share revision tips and general pre-exam panic...

Good luck to all :smile:

Scroll to see replies

How did it go? It started off all right for me but then the 6 marker in q2 and the 9 marker at the end screwed me over a bit. Hopefully got some working marks for those bits. If only I'd had an extra 10 mins.
Original post by Malabarista
How did it go? It started off all right for me but then the 6 marker in q2 and the 9 marker at the end screwed me over a bit. Hopefully got some working marks for those bits. If only I'd had an extra 10 mins.

the 6 marker in q.2 and the 7 marker in q.4 really made me angry lol. Also the cartesian question in q.1, for some reason I couldn't do it =S
Reply 3
Can anyone remember how many marks the eigenvector question was?
(edited 11 years ago)
The equilateral triangle took way too much time.

All I had to do was multiply (2 + 4 j) by (-1/2 + 1/2 j sqrt 3) and by (-1/2 - 1/2 j sqrt 3), but it took me so long to think of that, and I'm not sure I did it right.

The integral at the end of Q4 was also unpleasant.
Reply 5
Original post by TimetoSucceed
the 6 marker in q.2 and the 7 marker in q.4 really made me angry lol. Also the cartesian question in q.1, for some reason I couldn't do it =S

the exact same ones for me mate. do you know how to do the 6 marker yet ? and what does the gradient is stationary mean ! ?
Reply 6
ive just realised what it means actually it means if d^2y/dx^2 is 0 how could i be so dumb!
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be?
Original post by 30086533
Can anyone remember how many marks the eigenvector question was?

12 I believe. Eigenvalues were 1, 3 and -4.

Was the cartesian equation of circle centre (0,2) in Q1 , r = 4 sin theta?
Original post by alexbumpoo
the exact same ones for me mate. do you know how to do the 6 marker yet ? and what does the gradient is stationary mean ! ?

Stationary gradient means d2y/dx^2 = 0.
Reply 10
The triangle question was annoying - I just realised as I left that I could use double angle formulae to find an exact value for x and y :angry:

That's almost 8 marks gone now :frown: everything else was fine

That was like a STEP q
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by stevencarrwork
12 I believe. Eigenvalues were 1, 3 and -4.

Was the cartesian equation of circle centre (0,2) in Q1 , r = 4 sin theta?

Yup
what do you guys think the grade boundaries will be at?

I'm thinking 54/72 for an A maybe?
Reply 13
The eigenvector question was 12 marks total, the eigenvalues were lamda=-4,1,3.

I have the question paper if anyone has any questions
Reply 14
Sorry for that double post, didn't see there had already been an answer to that question.
Reply 15
Did anyone actually manage to reach the end result in Q4(iii), I couldn't get it in the form pi(3-(5/4)ln(5))
Reply 16
Q2 triangle question :frown:

Completely missed out the gradient of the curve bit, overlooked it.

That's my A* gone again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheoDanko
Did anyone actually manage to reach the end result in Q4(iii), I couldn't get it in the form pi(3-(5/4)ln(5))

Yes, it worked out, once I realised that my initial answer of 75 pi was wrong.

The integral worked out to be 3.25 sinh(2x) - 3 cosh (2x) - 2.5 x

Put in an x of 0.5 ln 5, and the upper limit is - 1.5 ln 5.

Put in an x of 0 and the lower limit works out to be -3.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by stevencarrwork
Yes, it worked out, once I realised that my initial answer of 75 pi was wrong.

The integral worked out to be 3.25 sinh(2x) - 3 cosh (2x) - 2.5 x

Put in an x of 0.5 ln 5, and the upper limit is - 1.5 ln 5.

Put in an x of 0 and the lower limit works out to be -3.

I realised that it worked out.

Once I did it again.

At home.

I should get working marks, at least I hope. I successfully squared out the brackets and then used the double angle formulae, and then attempted to integrate pi * y^2 with the correct limits. Damn, what a bitch exam. That said, questions 1 and 3 were an absolute pleasure.
Reply 19
i done the roots question in decimal form, how mark scheme will i loose

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending