The Student Room Group

Underachieved at AS but predicted AAA!! HELP PLEASE

I was just wondering how much of an effect applying to university with AAA(B) predicted but having achieved BBDD at AS?

Subjects were Mathematics: D, Chemistry: B, English Literature: D and Economics: B

I haven't just begged my teachers for better grades, I've upped my game massively and have been Achieving A*s in English Literature and Chemistry. (I dropped mathematics) So where my grades were ABB predicted, I've managed to have my grades upped to AAA(B). AAA(A) is what I WILL achieve at A2, because I'm not going to give up now, and also due to retaking some exams to get high A's.

So now I've said that, what are the chances that I'll get rejected from my universities whose requirements range from AAA-AAB for M100 Law because of my poor performance at AS level?

(I know someone who did terribly last year and got DDCB but begged her teachers to give her A*A*A* - total crap I know, but whatever she'll **** up university - and got a Cambridge interview because of it even with her bad AS performance.)

What should I expect?

Thanks in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
please help me out
Looking at it logically, it is quite possible that some of your 5 chosen unis might reject you. More people get lower than their predicted grades than exceed them, so admissions tutors might take your predictions with a pinch of salt.

However, others might note your improvement, particularly if this is mentioned in your reference, and make you an offer.

But don't get too worked up about the situation. The worst case is that all 5 unis reject you. If that happens - while working your rear end off - you can...

1) Apply to other unis (one at a time) through Ucas Extra.

2) Research other universities and apply through Clearing in August. Note - if you get an offer from at least one uni and firm it, but then do really well in your A-levels and want to switch to a 'better' uni you can try to do so through Adjustment.

3) Take a gap year. You are only 17/18 and when you look back, it will seem trivial. Use that year to get experience, put some money in the bank etc.
Reply 3
Original post by oliverclayson
I was just wondering how much of an effect applying to university with AAA(B) predicted but having achieved BBDD at AS?

Subjects were Mathematics: D, Chemistry: B, English Literature: D and Economics: B

I haven't just begged my teachers for better grades, I've upped my game massively and have been Achieving A*s in English Literature and Chemistry. (I dropped mathematics) So where my grades were ABB predicted, I've managed to have my grades upped to AAA(B). AAA(A) is what I WILL achieve at A2, because I'm not going to give up now, and also due to retaking some exams to get high A's.

So now I've said that, what are the chances that I'll get rejected from my universities whose requirements range from AAA-AAB for M100 Law because of my poor performance at AS level?

(I know someone who did terribly last year and got DDCB but begged her teachers to give her A*A*A* - total crap I know, but whatever she'll **** up university - and got a Cambridge interview because of it even with her bad AS performance.)

What should I expect?

Thanks in advance.

I got 4 As in my AS levels. I am predicted 3 As at A2. (All my As were between 80-90% and you need at least 90% to get predicted an A* at my college).

If I was applying to the same course as you I'd personally be very annoyed and would think it quite unjust if your chances were the same as mine, due to the same predicted grades. Whether it's actually the case, I'm not sure. The system would be pretty messed up if it is. Your best option would be to ring your unis and ask them, they should give you a reasonably straight answer.

Good luck either way!
A great deal depends on what your academic reference says about *why* your grades at AS were so poor and therefore why the prediction has been upped to AAA. If it doesnt sound convincing, then most Admissions tutors will not believe you are capable of that level of improvement.

The other thing to think very seriously about is how much disappointment you can take on Results Day. I appreciate that you are now putting in some effort, but there is little point in setting your sights too high and whilst everyone else around you is jumping for joy, you are left with nothing but a sense of enormous panic as you now have to grapple with Clearing (and probably a 'lesser' course or Uni). Just thinking 'I can get AAA' isnt enough. You also have to take on board the scenario of getting BBB - because you currently have no idea/proof that you *can* get AAA beyond dreaming. Therefore, you need to make your Insurance *very* realistic, and significantly lower that your Firm.

The other option is that you drop your UCAS application for this year. You can then concentrate entirely on working your butt off, striving hard for the best grades you can manage, and then applying for Uni next year with KNOWN grades - no predictions, no surprises. There is no shame in this - if anything its the behaviour of someone being more 'adult'.
I got ABDE at AS and was predicted AAB because my B at AS was one mark from an A and I dropped the D and E subjects and fasttracked another subject. I ended up with offers from 4/5 of my choices (I withdrew my application from RHUL) and firmed my AAA offer and ended up with A*AA in the end. I should add that I had extenuating circumstances and I was planning on applying to university with grades in hand because of my AS grades/predictions limiting my university choices. I also didn't have to retake anything which made things easier. To answer your question, I declared my AS grades and didn't have any problems with universities but that was with a really detailed reference and a medical note sent to universities. I never for a second thought I'd actually meet my offer and stressed about it for the entire exam period.

The pressure during A2 year is immense and I can't imagine how difficult it will be to get your grades up with retakes as a 'distraction' from your A2 exams. You're going to have to work incredibly hard because remember, A2s are harder than AS. It depends on why you got the grades you did. If you worked as hard as you could but didn't understand the course, that's going to make things difficult. Just work really hard and do the best you can and try not to stress too much. I would also say that you need to make very wise university choices and allow for every eventuality, including applying with your known grades.

The responses you'll get from universities depend on how much the admissions tutors believe you've improved so much in relatively little time. As others have said, there's UCAS extra and clearing if things don't go the way you hope so I wouldn't worry too much. Just don't get stuck on a particular AAA university to save yourself some stress and pain if things don't work out.

And I think it's ridiculous that your friend got A* A* A* predictions. What teacher would even do that? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending