The Student Room Group

Question about University of York

Hey :smile: have just applied for single honours History and have had replies from all unis except York, with the highest offer of the 4 being from Sheffield ( higher than my predicted grades - AAA or two A's and an A in my EPQ). I'm predicted AAB as I messed up my English Lit (got a C with an A in my coursework, D in my exam - A's are in History, German and General Studies). Also got told my teacher put my historical EPQ as an A and I have a B from an A Level in Critical Thinking which I did from Year 9 to 11.

However, I know how competitive York is (AAA) and I just wanted to ask if I still have a chance with them, or if I've blown it as I'm not quite predicted their grades, yet I know I can get three A's :/ thank you so much and good luck with all your offers/exams etc. :smile: xxx
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm a bit confused - you say that you have all your offers, yet you are asking if you stand a chance at getting an offer from York. Have you applied there?
Oops sorry! I edited it a second ago and must have accidentally deleted that sentence. Sorry :L no, I haven't had a reply from York yet (except confirmation that they've received my application - about 2 months ago :P ) xx
I'll put that right, half a tick x
Ok got you now! :smile:

Well, York haven't made you an offer yet or rejected you - so you are still under consideration. On the downside, York have made quite a few offers already - so it's not as if they haven't started.

Is York your 'dream' uni?
Thank you! Haha I'm not helping my case here by being a dozy cow XD

Yes, York is my absolute dream. Don't get me wrong, I love Sheffield and I also have Newcastle, Hull and Lincoln but York is the dream haha! Thanks for replying so quickly :smile: xx
Reply 6
Same here, got all my offers apart from York (and Durham, who usually give offers in Jan anyway).
Original post by Tabzqt
Same here, got all my offers apart from York (and Durham, who usually give offers in Jan anyway).

Aah yes, heard Durham often take their time...which is a good thing, but still tormenting for the students! haha did you apply for History too? xx
I can't disagree with you - I studied History at York, and although it was a very long time ago I think the course is still as good as it used to be! Plus the city is definitely the same as it was - I visited last year and took my wife round all the pubs I used to frequent! :biggrin:

I also studied at Sheffield and didn't think that either the university or the city were anywhere near as good. However, I believe Sheffield itself is much improved - to the point that it has the reputation as one of the better 'party unis'.
Reply 9
Original post by StudiousGirlie95
Aah yes, heard Durham often take their time...which is a good thing, but still tormenting for the students! haha did you apply for History too? xx

No, Philosophy. I'm really not expecting an offer from Durham so the fact that I haven't got a rejection yet is a very good thing :smile: very tormenting indeed though lol
Original post by ageshallnot
I can't disagree with you - I studied History at York, and although it was a very long time ago I think the course is still as good as it used to be! Plus the city is definitely the same as it was - I visited last year and took my wife round all the pubs I used to frequent! :biggrin:

I also studied at Sheffield and didn't think that either the university or the city were anywhere near as good. However, I believe Sheffield itself is much improved - to the point that it has the reputation as one of the better 'party unis'.

Haha! It's such a desirable city and the tutors were lovely when I visited last year. Aww that must have been awesome for you and your wife haha :biggrin: nice to revisit your student days! Yes Sheffield has climbed its way up considerably but I'll admit that York's more to my tastes really. I'm not a hardcore party-goer, but still like a bit of social time :smile: xx
Original post by Tabzqt
No, Philosophy. I'm really not expecting an offer from Durham so the fact that I haven't got a rejection yet is a very good thing :smile: very tormenting indeed though lol

You never know!! I'm just feeling very underconfident about York :/ what are you predicted/the grades needed for Philosophy? xx
Reply 12
Original post by StudiousGirlie95
You never know!! I'm just feeling very underconfident about York :/ what are you predicted/the grades needed for Philosophy? xx

I'm predicted AAB and the grades for everywhere I have applied are AAB, apart from Durham which is AAA. I'm personally aiming to get A*AA though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending