The Student Room Group

Wellcome Trust 4 Year PhD in Integrative Neuroscience at Cardiff

Anyone else applying for this? ANyone having any problems?

THey want proof of your ability to comprehend English even from UK nationals which I have none of. Any ideas?

Under the statement/research proposal page it won't let you continue unless you complete each field even though not all are applicable (only personal statement is for example).

Is anyone else having a similar problem?

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like you need to contact Cardiff if there is a genuine problem with the online system.
(Are you sure you havnt entered anything that suggests you are an overseas applicant?)
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
Sounds like you need to contact Cardiff if there is a genuine problem with the online system.
(Are you sure you havnt entered anything that suggests you are an overseas applicant?)

I've emailed the Deputy head of the course.

Definitely haven't. It in fact states that every single applicant must provide evidence for it. Not sure why.
Reply 3
Original post by nicatre
Anyone else applying for this? ANyone having any problems?

THey want proof of your ability to comprehend English even from UK nationals which I have none of. Any ideas?

Under the statement/research proposal page it won't let you continue unless you complete each field even though not all are applicable (only personal statement is for example).

Is anyone else having a similar problem?

Doing an undergraduate degree in an English speaking country is usually proof enough; the online system might have mistaken your four-year master's degree for a one year one. That is the only thing I can think of to be honest.
Reply 4
Original post by evantej
Doing an undergraduate degree in an English speaking country is usually proof enough; the online system might have mistaken your four-year master's degree for a one year one. That is the only thing I can think of to be honest.

It's not a glitch unfortunately. They openly state that everyone is required to provide proof. I can't think of anything beyond sending them an essay.
Reply 5
I'd probably attach something like a transcript, and where possible explain that you're a native/competent English speaker and did your undergraduate degree here, or something along those lines.
Reply 6
Why not just drop them an email and ask? This must be a very common query for them.
Reply 7
Original post by gumball
I'd probably attach something like a transcript, and where possible explain that you're a native/competent English speaker and did your undergraduate degree here, or something along those lines.

That's what I'm hoping would be sufficient. Considering uploading an example of my written work as well.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
Why not just drop them an email and ask? This must be a very common query for them.

I did so last night. The course's deputy director seemed a tad confused (I'm guessing this requirement by the uni for everyone to have proof is new) and said he'd look into alternatives for me. Just seems a bit weird is all!
Reply 9
The course's deputy director seemed a tad confused (I'm guessing this requirement by the uni for everyone to have proof is new) and said he'd look into alternatives for me. Just seems a bit weird is all!

Sounds like the beancounters have interefered again! Good luck - hopefully you're now in touch with the person who can sort it out.
Reply 10
Original post by nicatre
I did so last night. The course's deputy director seemed a tad confused (I'm guessing this requirement by the uni for everyone to have proof is new) and said he'd look into alternatives for me. Just seems a bit weird is all!

Did you ever get a response on this?
For the research proposal, I would just put "N/A" or something to keep the system happy. When are you planning on sending your application off?
Reply 11
Original post by Vousden
Did you ever get a response on this?
For the research proposal, I would just put "N/A" or something to keep the system happy. When are you planning on sending your application off?

He hasn't got back to me again yet but I'll bug him if it gets too late.

Submission deadline is 4th jan so i've got a few weeks yet. I did the N/A thing earlier today and that kept that part of the system happy but I still don't have proof of English competency. I guess for that bit I'll just wait for the guy to email back with my options!
Reply 12
Original post by nicatre
He hasn't got back to me again yet but I'll bug him if it gets too late.

Submission deadline is 4th jan so i've got a few weeks yet. I did the N/A thing earlier today and that kept that part of the system happy but I still don't have proof of English competency. I guess for that bit I'll just wait for the guy to email back with my options!

Do you not have GCSE english? Just restarted my application (old started, but not finished one seems to have dissapeared) and it has an option to just put English GCSE, as long as you got C or above? Link:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/regis/general/applyonline/applicantguidanceversiona.html#_Page_Four:_English_1
Reply 13
Original post by Vousden
Do you not have GCSE english? Just restarted my application (old started, but not finished one seems to have dissapeared) and it has an option to just put English GCSE, as long as you got C or above? Link:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/regis/general/applyonline/applicantguidanceversiona.html#_Page_Four:_English_1

I do indeed but unfortunately not form of proof that I do.
Reply 14
Original post by nicatre
I do indeed but unfortunately not form of proof that I do.

Do you know anything about the rotations? I think I heard someone say that each one is a different school/department/research group. Know anything about that? What else are you applying for?
Reply 15
Original post by Vousden
Do you know anything about the rotations? I think I heard someone say that each one is a different school/department/research group. Know anything about that? What else are you applying for?

All I know is is that you do three.

Though, from what I know of other DTCs and the fact that the course is split between psych, bio, and...(someone else) I'd assume they'd try to push you towards doing the most diverse ones possible to gain the most skills.

I'm alos applying to the WT 4 Year DPhil @ Oxford and direct to PhD @ St Andrews, you?
Reply 16
Original post by nicatre

Though, from what I know of other DTCs and the fact that the course is split between psych, bio, and...(someone else) I'd assume they'd try to push you towards doing the most diverse ones possible to gain the most skills.

I'm alos applying to the WT 4 Year DPhil @ Oxford and direct to PhD @ St Andrews, you?

Erm Bristol, Cambridge, Manchester!
Reply 17
Original post by nicatre

So I've finished my application now, and I was just about to submit it, and just before you can do this, you can preview your application. When I did this, it doesn't seem to have included any of my academic qualifications? They're saved on my application, just not on this form thing? Did you have the same problem?
Reply 18
Original post by Vousden
So I've finished my application now, and I was just about to submit it, and just before you can do this, you can preview your application. When I did this, it doesn't seem to have included any of my academic qualifications? They're saved on my application, just not on this form thing? Did you have the same problem?

I haven't unfortunately got to that point yet as I can't submit until I leave something under proof of English etc.

How do the references work by the way? I've put in my two but once you've submitted do they get an automated email? Or does it guide you with what to request from them and where to send it?
Reply 19
Original post by nicatre
I haven't unfortunately got to that point yet as I can't submit until I leave something under proof of English etc.

How do the references work by the way? I've put in my two but once you've submitted do they get an automated email? Or does it guide you with what to request from them and where to send it?

I was expecting something to happen with references, but it doesn't say either way. I uploaded one of my references scanned in, but it doesn't say anything about contacting the other one. I think it said on the form that when you submit your application it will provide details for getting references, but this wasn't the case. I'm going to email my reference and ask her to sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending