The Student Room Group

I slept with a guy who has slept with 63 people...

I use to see this guy about a year ago when his number was about 45-50

But i have never had a STD test done

Until about a month ago I have been a relationship with someone, he's been STD checks and he was clear, which means I was clear...

A few days ago I saw the guy I was 'seeing' on a night out and we ended up back at his and had sex...

I should probably get a STD test done but I'm embarrassed.
I'm now home from uni and don't want anything delivered to my door STD wise because my parents open my post, I also don't want to go to the clinic and hand over a pee pot...I'd be so embarrassed.
Is there anything dignified and discreet I can do?

Another thing... Im nearly 22 I've slept with 10 people, lost my virginity when I was 18. Is this a high number? Just wondering what peoples opinions are? I've had relationships but the longest wasnoisy under 3 months.
Reply 1
Anyoneeeee...
Reply 2
This is high-risk behaviour for catching a sexually transmitted infection - these can cause infertility, and don't always cause symptoms so you might not know if you had one.

Have you been using condoms every time?

STI clinics are very discreet - they will not post anything to you at home. I'd suggest you go and get tested.
Reply 3
There's a limit to how dignified tests can be, unfortunately. There are 'test at home' kits for things like chlamydia where you dip a special stick of plastic in your pee and send it off. In many places, you can get them free at chemists if you're 26 or under. For HIV etc, you can be tested via a blood test (which will probably also be looked at for syphilis) after a month following the sex or (somewhat less accurately) via a mouth swab. Going to a sexual health clinic will get you the widest range of tests in a supportive and discreet environment. For all these, you typically get contacted by text message rather than anything indiscreet.

Different people have different ideas about numbers. For some, more than zero (or, if married, one) is too many, while others feel failures if they've had fewer than ten partners in a week. Their opinions don't matter. If you're happy, hooray. If you're not, use the experience to help you be happy in the future.
Reply 4
How can you sleep with such a person :s....Risking yourself.
Without any dignity, there isn't really a dignified way to go about this.

Looks like peeing in a piddle pot it is.
Reply 6
Last time I got checked, notification was by text message, and only if you had a positive result, if you were clear, they didn't contact you. Check with your local clinic to see what they do, or give a friend's address.

I've slept with men who had 100-300 partners, but they'd been careful. The man who I caught genital herpes from - a steady boyfriend - had had fewer partners than me and only had oral herpes himself. Always worth getting checked, though, on a regular basis unless you've permanently settled down.
ewww
Reply 8
Original post by irisisis
Last time I got checked, notification was by text message, and only if you had a positive result, if you were clear, they didn't contact you. Check with your local clinic to see what they do, or give a friend's address.

I've slept with men who had 100-300 partners, but they'd been careful. The man who I caught genital herpes from - a steady boyfriend - had had fewer partners than me and only had oral herpes himself. Always worth getting checked, though, on a regular basis unless you've permanently settled down.

sic
Reply 9
Original post by irisisis
Last time I got checked, notification was by text message, and only if you had a positive result, if you were clear, they didn't contact you.

They contact you regardless... I got a text saying I was all clear (it was negative something or other), imagine not getting a text to let you know you have an STD or not, that would be a nightmare.
Original post by Anonymous
I use to see this guy about a year ago when his number was about 45-50

But i have never had a STD test done

Until about a month ago I have been a relationship with someone, he's been STD checks and he was clear, which means I was clear...

A few days ago I saw the guy I was 'seeing' on a night out and we ended up back at his and had sex...

I should probably get a STD test done but I'm embarrassed.
I'm now home from uni and don't want anything delivered to my door STD wise because my parents open my post, I also don't want to go to the clinic and hand over a pee pot...I'd be so embarrassed.
Is there anything dignified and discreet I can do?

Another thing... Im nearly 22 I've slept with 10 people, lost my virginity when I was 18. Is this a high number? Just wondering what peoples opinions are? I've had relationships but the longest wasnoisy under 3 months.

45-50... And now definitely 63. So, what, he just thought he'd throw it out there that he's now slept with EXACTLY 63 PEOPLE?

And at 22, why the **** are your parents opening your mail?

Just tell them not to.

Along with that, get over your ridiculous hangups regarding medical examinations.

People in this country are so ****ing stupid in that regard. Doctors have seen it all before and if anything you should be more embarrassed not to be taking action given the potentially serious consequences.
(edited 11 years ago)
Just get one done! Who cares if your parents see anything, they should know, or assume, that you are having sex. The letter should be addressed to you and thus it is none of their business and you don't need to tell them anything you don't want to. They don't need to know how many people or the exact details or why you're having a test done, having a test done is the healthy thing to do.

As for your own number, that too isn't anyone else's business :P To me the only people asking about numbers is because their insecure about their own.
in short - grow up.

The results come to you via anyway you choose so your parents (wtf are they doing opening your mail at your age thats a gross invasion of privacy) wont know.

Now act like the adult you assume you are and pee in the pot
Reply 13
Original post by cul-de-sac
sic

sic? What's that supposed to mean, in English?!
Reply 14
Dearly an advice for the future just be careful next time who you're sleeping with because the shortest relationship to me was 6 months lol. that'a a half year. take care..
People at a sexual health/GUM clinic have seen/heard it all before, and they are well experienced in dealing with nervous/anxious people such as yourself & everything is confidential.

You can do the swabs and urine samples for yourself - minimal embarrassment or dignity lost. You'll be worse off if you find out that you aren't as clear as you thought you were and have done some damage to yourself by being too embarrassed to get checked out! HIV and Syphilis can be tested through a blood sample, so as long as you're not afraid of needles, they're always worth getting tested for as well as the routine chlamydia & gonorrhea. After asking about your sexual history, they may test you for other things though!

You can get the results sent to you via the phone or text message. If you choose to get your results by text, it'll likely be from NHS-NoReply and if negative (all clear) will contain something akin to: 'Your recent tests were negative. If you have any queries please contact...'. If positive, it'll say something similar, but replace 'negative' with 'positive' and ask you to get in contact with them for treatment & advice about contact sexual partners you may have passed it on to. Oh, and they'll never mention the name of the infection, via text at least.
Unless your parents regularly check your texts or have a tap on your mobile, you'll receive the results without anybody else having to know :smile:

You could always get checked when you're back at uni, though I'd recommend getting tested asap, for your own peace of mind & to get an early start on treatment if you're not... Doesn't your uni offer regular anonymous testing? If so, you might find it easier to go there instead. Again, they normally notify you by text with results :smile:

I too was worried about getting tested for the first time, considering I'd been in 2 committed relationships but also had 2 separate one-night stands with 2 different friends of mine after... I'd used used condoms with all 4 men but had almost psyched myself out of booking an appointment at the local GUM clinic because of the "what-ifs" and the fear that the people at the clinic would be judgmental. I had to make a friend who also wanted/needed to get tested sit by me as I made the call to book the appointment, just in case I bottled it. And then I did the same for her! Good luck, hope all goes well with your tests! It's certainly better to be safe than sorry & you'll feel much better knowing :smile:

And numbers shouldn't really be an issue unless you're not safe and/or you're not happy with the number yourself, in my opinion!

Quick Reply

Latest