The Student Room Group

A2 Geography Unit 4A Fieldwork Jan 2013

Scroll to see replies

Do techniques of analysis just include statistical tests, or do they extend to data presentation methods like comparitive line graphs and scatter graphs?
Reply 81
So nervous for this exam!

What is everyone putting for risk assessment stuff, other than all the potential hazards and control measures? And how are we supposed to relate risk assessment to the aim?
It is OK if your fieldwork results aren't entirely successful, right? I couldn't reject my null hypotheses relating to abiotic and biotic relationships encompassing my Psammosere investigation. I just feel like it sounds dumb when writing it in the exam. I know all the methodological improvements I could make and apply but this then sounds lazy and not convincing enough if it hasn't been implemented.

I'm also not sure how I would evaluate the investigation in light of my unsuccessful conclusions. It seems an easy way out to just discuss improvements. What would be successful if it contributed to an overall unsuccessful study?
Reply 83
Anyone know how to anser this question:

How important was the theorey in choice of the aim?

Literally no idea what its looking for.
Does anyone know what came up in June 2012?
Original post by Natalie21
Does anyone know what came up in June 2012?

Hey, Section A was:
Choice of location, risk assessments, data presentation and how your investigation improved your understanding of geographical theory
Section B was:
Mann U Whitney, and how statistical techniques improve understanding

:smile:
Original post by feathergirl
Hey, Section A was:
Choice of location, risk assessments, data presentation and how your investigation improved your understanding of geographical theory
Section B was:
Mann U Whitney, and how statistical techniques improve understanding

:smile:

Thank you so much, you're a lifesaver!! :biggrin:
Original post by feathergirl
Do techniques of analysis just include statistical tests, or do they extend to data presentation methods like comparitive line graphs and scatter graphs?

Yes you can use them, but they are a simple technique. If you wanting to get the highest possible marks I would use statistical tests as there is more to talk about and you can talk about significance levels ext which ticks the boxes for thinking like a geographer-criteria for the top marks.

You could always use both!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 88
hi would anyone mind explaining chai squared and mann whitney u test to me? like what they show and their +ves and -ves? thanks in advance! :smile:
Do you want me to post the first page of google results for both of these? As there is TONNES and I mean TONNES on how both of those work, and it would of taken you longer to find this thread than find an answer to both.
Reply 90
Has anybody got anything on Synoptic Weather Maps?

Things such as +ve's and -vs's and How they could further our geographical understanding?

I've got a few points but if it cam up I'd be pretty screwed.

Thanks
Reply 91
Hi, what are you're predictions for the graphical/statistical methods in section b?
Reply 92
How does anybody understand Spearman's rank, Mann Whitney U or any other statistical technique? Think you need a degree in Maths to do them, so so so ****.

And I bet I need Spearman's rank for the AS Unit 2 resit tomorrow. Jesus christ.
I don't understand what the examiners mean when they say "detailed reference to candidate's own fieldwork/experiences"? What do they think we're writing about? It has to be a 'convincing' reference...
Reply 94
Original post by midnightice
I don't understand what the examiners mean when they say "detailed reference to candidate's own fieldwork/experiences"? What do they think we're writing about? It has to be a 'convincing' reference...

Haha that's kinda annoying! I think they just want to see some specific reference to what you did..so maybe mention your results or methods you actually used..things like that. xD
Original post by midnightice
It is OK if your fieldwork results aren't entirely successful, right? I couldn't reject my null hypotheses relating to abiotic and biotic relationships encompassing my Psammosere investigation. I just feel like it sounds dumb when writing it in the exam. I know all the methodological improvements I could make and apply but this then sounds lazy and not convincing enough if it hasn't been implemented.

I'm also not sure how I would evaluate the investigation in light of my unsuccessful conclusions. It seems an easy way out to just discuss improvements. What would be successful if it contributed to an overall unsuccessful study?

I'm in the same boat. In a way, it can be beneficial because you can suggest improvements and say the statistical technique was critical to your investigation and that not every river (in my case) fits the model.
Original post by Jim-Jam
How does anybody understand Spearman's rank, Mann Whitney U or any other statistical technique? Think you need a degree in Maths to do them, so so so ****.

And I bet I need Spearman's rank for the AS Unit 2 resit tomorrow. Jesus christ.

Spearmans is relatively easy, its Mann Whitney U & Chi that's the bastard!
GIS Came up on Unit 2 today, so do you guys think it could come up again on 4A?
Reply 98
anyone know any other reasons for developing/extending your enquiry? Other than more sites, different times of the year and studying a completely diff river to show variation? Heeeelllp
Original post by ysiad
anyone know any other reasons for developing/extending your enquiry? Other than more sites, different times of the year and studying a completely diff river to show variation? Heeeelllp

I'm not doing rivers, but i used secondary data to back up my hypothesis, so mine would be use 2011 census data rather than 2001.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending