The Student Room Group

Direct comparison test for series convergence

Determine the convergence/divergence of the series from n=2 to infinity
of :

(lnn)en (\ln n)e^{-\sqrt n}

i know i can use the direct comparison test, ive done so by letting a function bn=n.en b_n = n.e^{-\sqrt n} , my questions are:

1) does it matter what function you use for b(n), as long as they fit the criteria that 0anbn 0 \leq a_n \leq b_n , and if so is it alright that i've used bn=n.en b_n = n.e^{-\sqrt n}

2) If i prove bn b_n is convergent, then i also assume an a_n is convergent by direct comparison. Would i need to write anything else ?

Thanks in advance
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bijesh12
of :

i know i can use the direct comparison test, ive done so by letting a function bn = 1/ ln (n), my questions are:

1) does it matter what function you use for b(n), as long as they fit the criteria that 0 < an < bn, and if so is it alright that i've used bn = 1/ ln(n).

2) If i prove bn is convergent, then i also assume an is convergent by direct comparison. I would i need to write anything else.

Thanks in advance

1n<1lnn    n21nn21lnn\dfrac{1}{n}<\dfrac{1}{\ln n}\;\Rightarrow\; \displaystyle\sum_{n\geq 2}\dfrac{1}{n}\leq\sum_{n\geq 2}\dfrac{1}{\ln n}

You need to find something else! :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Lord of the Flies
1n<1lnn    n21nn21lnn\dfrac{1}{n}<\dfrac{1}{\ln n}\;\Rightarrow\; \displaystyle\sum_{n\geq 2}\dfrac{1}{n}\leq\sum_{n\geq 2}\dfrac{1}{\ln n}

You need to find something else! :wink:

i know im an idiot for choosing that one. But would this work as bn=nen b_n = ne^{-\sqrt{n}} , because it does converge, and it's true that an<bn a_n < b_n for all n1 n \geq 1
(edited 11 years ago)
i know im an idiot for choosing that one. But would this work as bn=nen b_n = n\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}} , because it does converge, and it's true that an<bn,    n1 a_n < b_n,\;\; \forall n\geq 1

That does work. Bear in mind that you need to prove that nenn\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}} converges. Using bn=nenb_n=\sqrt{n}\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}} would be nicer to work with!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
That does work. Bear in mind that you need to prove that nenn\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}} converges. Using bn=nenb_n=\sqrt{n}\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}} would be nicer to work with!

Thanks, but i would still need to prove that the latter function (the one you've suggested) is convergent again through the direct comparison, as i've tried both root and ratio tests and both are inconclusive :mad:,
Thanks, but i would still need to prove that the latter function (the one you've suggested) is convergent again through the direct comparison, as i've tried both root and ratio tests and both are inconclusive :mad:,

Hm, can I ask why? I'm assuming the exercise is asking you to prove that ana_n converges by comparison, not to use comparison for everything! :biggrin:

I made that suggestion specifically with the integral test in mind.
Reply 6
Hm, can I ask why? I'm assuming the exercise is asking you to prove that ana_n converges by comparison, not to use comparison for everything! :biggrin:

I made that suggestion specifically with the integral test in mind.

The question is just asking to determine whether the series from n=2 till infinity of an=ln(n).en a_n = ln (n).e^{-\sqrt n} is convergent or divergent. It dosen't specify a method.

So it would be fine if i just that b_n is greater than a_n, and that it converges so by direct comparison so does a_n
(edited 11 years ago)
The question is just asking to determine whether the series from n=2 till infinity of an=lnnen a_n = \ln n\cdot e^-{\sqrt{n}} is convergent or divergent

Why the fuss about comparison then? Simply go: n2lnnenn2nen\displaystyle\sum_{n\geq 2}\ln n\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}}\leq \sum_{n\geq 2}\sqrt{n}\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}}
n2nen\displaystyle\sum_{n\geq 2}\sqrt{n}\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}} converges if and only if 2xex  dx\displaystyle\int_2^{\infty} \sqrt{x}\cdot e^{-\sqrt{x}}\;dx converges. I'll let you finish off!
Reply 8
Why the fuss about comparison then? Simply go: n2lnnenn2nen\displaystyle\sum_{n\geq 2}\ln n\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}}\leq \sum_{n\geq 2}\sqrt{n}\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}}
n2nen\displaystyle\sum_{n\geq 2}\sqrt{n}\cdot e^{-\sqrt{n}} converges if and only if 2xex  dx\displaystyle\int_2^{\infty} \sqrt{x}\cdot e^{-\sqrt{x}}\;dx converges. I'll let you finish off!

Sorry just checking, and thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 9
of :

i know i can use the direct comparison test, ive done so by letting a function bn=n.en b_n = n.e^{-\sqrt n} , my questions are:

1) does it matter what function you use for b(n), as long as they fit the criteria that 0anbn 0 \leq a_n \leq b_n , and if so is it alright that i've used bn=n.en b_n = n.e^{-\sqrt n}

2) If i prove bn b_n is convergent, then i also assume an a_n is convergent by direct comparison. Would i need to write anything else ?

Thanks in advance

There's no need for integral tests, root tests or any other complicated method for this one - the point is that ene^n is so big that it can smash anything that is divided by it.

I would say something like: ln n < n so an<nena_n < ne^{-\sqrt{n}}

Also if x is positive, exe^x is bigger than any term in its expansion, so pick a nice juicy term with an even exponent e.g. x6/6!x^6/6!

Then
ex>x6/6!e^x > x^6/6!
so
en>n3/6!e^{\sqrt{n}} > n^3/6!
so
nen<n(n3/6!)=6!n2ne^{-\sqrt{n}} < \frac{n}{(n^3/6!)} = \frac{6!}{n^2}

and you can do a direct comparison with 1n2\sum \frac{1}{n^2}
Original post by davros

Thanks for bringing some mathematical sensibility to this thread! :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by davros
There's no need for integral tests, root tests or any other complicated method for this one - the point is that ene^n is so big that it can smash anything that is divided by it.

I would say something like: ln n < n so an<nena_n < ne^{-\sqrt{n}}

Also if x is positive, exe^x is bigger than any term in its expansion, so pick a nice juicy term with an even exponent e.g. x6/6!x^6/6!

Then
ex>x6/6!e^x > x^6/6!
so
en>n3/6!e^{\sqrt{n}} > n^3/6!
so
nen<n(n3/6!)=6!n2ne^{-\sqrt{n}} < \frac{n}{(n^3/6!)} = \frac{6!}{n^2}

and you can do a direct comparison with 1n2\sum \frac{1}{n^2}

Thanks, now I need help on part b) of the same question.

Assuming the series an=lnn.en a_n = ln n.e^{-\sqrt n} is convergent, determine whether n=1an< \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}{\sqrt{a_n} } < \infty

Firstly I would prove an\sqrt{a_n} is convergent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks, now I need help on part b) of the same question.

Assuming the series an=lnn.en a_n = ln n.e^{-\sqrt n} is convergent, determine whether n=1an< \sum^{\infty}_{n=1}{\sqrt{a_n} } < \infty

Firstly I would prove an\sqrt{a_n} is convergent.

Use davros' method, but replace x66!\dfrac{x^6}{6!} with x1010!\dfrac{x^{10}}{10!}

(sorry for not making a better suggestion earlier by the way)
Reply 13
Thanks for bringing some mathematical sensibility to this thread! :wink:

No worries!

I'd have to dig out the text books for a series requiring a really sensitive test, but when you get a negative exponential in there it can pretty much "kill off" anything multiplying it, so even making the series 'bigger' by replacing ln n with n doesn't damage the convergence :smile:
Reply 14
Thanks for all your help ! I got it all right in the end (Y)

Quick Reply

Latest